IJEP 42(11): 1400-1408 : Vol. 42 Issue. 11 (November 2022)
Chandan Kumar Gupta*, A. K. Sachan and Rakesh Kumar
Motilal Nehru National Institute of Technology, Prayagraj, Uttar Pradesh – 211 004, India
Recycled coarse aggregate and natural coarse aggregate are two different aggregate, one of aggregate consist of old mortar over it and that is recycled aggregate whereas natural aggregates are fresh. This paper presents results of an experimental investigation using construction and demolition waste, that is recycled coarse aggregate (RCA). The RCA was obtained from IL and FS Environmental Infrastructure and services Ltd., New Delhi. Due to the large construction activity, it requires to find the suitable material to replace natural material for manufacturing concrete. In this investigation influence of different quantity of RCA on self compacting concrete (SCC) in fresh and hardened state was undertaken. The properties obtained from SCC using RCA were compared with SCC having 100% natural coarse aggregate (NCA), that is control concrete. The NCA was replaced with RCA by a quantity of 20%, 40%, 60%, 80% and 100%. The fresh characteristic of SCC was investigated using slump flow test, V-funnel test and L-box test. The hardened properties obtained were compressive strength tests after 7, 28, 56 and 90 days of curing and tensile strength after 28 days of curing. It was observed from the result that fresh properties of concrete made with RCA changes slightly upto 40% and considerable changes was noticed above 40% as compared to concrete made with natural coarse aggregate due to high water absorption. In the hardened state results of different strength properties, show that upto 60% replacement level there is slight decrease in strength but above 60% it increases. Main disadvantage noticed from the research work was as increasing the percentage of RCA, water absorption also increases. Durability of SCC using RCA was observed by keeping the sample for water absorption test, alkalinity test and sulphate attack. The water absorption increases with increasing the RCA content.
Recycled coarse aggregate, Water absorption, Construction and demolition waste, Old mortar, Self compacting concrete, Sulphate attack
- Santos, S., P.R. de Silva and J. de Brito. 2019. Self-compacting concrete with recycled aggregates- A self compacting concrete with recycled aggregates- A literature review. J. Build. Eng., 22:349-371. DOI:10.1016/j.jobe.2019.01.001.
- Ibrahim, H. and B.J.A. Araoy. 2017. Mechanical behaviour of recycled self-compacting concrete reinforced with polyproylene fibres. J. Archit. Eng. Tech., 6(2). DOI : 10.4172/2168.9717.1000207.
- Djelloul, O.K., et al. 2018. Performance of self-compacting concrete made with coarse and fine recycled concrete aggregates and ground granulated blast-furnance slag. Adv Concr. Constr., 6(2):103-121. DOI: 10.12989/acc.2018.6.2.103.
- Kou, S.C. and C.S. Poon. 2009. Properties of self-compacting concrete prepared with coarse and fine reacycled conarete aggregates. Cem. Concr. Compos., 31(9):622-627. DOI:10.1016/j.cemconcomp. 2009.06.005.
- Pereira-De Oliveira, L.A., et al. 2014. Permeability properties of self compacting concrete with coarse recycled aggregates. Constr. Build. Mater., 51:113-120.
- Panda, K.C. and P.K. Bal. 2013. Properties of self compacting concrete using recycled coarse aggregate. Procedia Eng., 51:159-164. DOI:10.1016/j.poeng.2013.01.023.
- Grdic, Z.J., et al. 2010. Properties of self-compacting concrete prepared with coarse recycled concrete aggregate. Constr. Build. Mater., 24(7): 1129-1133. DOI:10.1016/j.conbuild mat.2009. 12.029.
- Nieto, D., et al. 2019. Properties of self-compacting concrete prepared with coarse recycled concrete aggregates and different water: Cement ratios. J. Mater. Civil Eng., 31(2):1-15. DOI: 10. 1061/(ASCE)MT. 1943-5533.0002566.
- Ramanianeyulu, N., M.V. Seshagiri Rao and V.B. Desai. 2019. Behaviour of self-compacting concrete partial replacement of coarse aggregate with pumice lightweight aggragate. Int. J. Recent Tech. Eng., 7(6C2):434-440. DOI: 10.35940/ijitee.1826 5.078919.
- Diego, C.L., et al. 2015. Study of the rheology of self-compacting concrete with fine recycled concrete aggregates. Constr. Build. Mater., 96: 491-501. DOI: 10.1016/j.cobuildmat/.2015.08.091.
- Manzi, S., C. Mazzotti and M.C. Bignozzi. 2017. Self compacting concrete with recycled concrete aggregate: Study of the long-term properties. Constr. Build. Mater., 157:582-590. DOI: 10.10 16/j. conbuild mat. 2017.09.129.
- Goneyisi, E., et al. 2016. Rheological and fresh properties of self-compacting concretes containing coarse and fine recycled concrete aggregates. Constr. Build. Mater., 113:622-630. DOI: 10.10 16/j.conbuildmat. 2016.03.073.
- Tang, W.C., et al. 2016. Properties of self-compacting concrete with recycled coarse aggregate. Adv. Mater. Sci. Eng., 6:1-11. DOI: 10.1016/j.conbuildmat. 2016.03.073.
- Sam, S.K., D. Varkey and E. John. 2014. Self compacting concrete with recycled coarse aggregates. Int. J. Eng. Res. Tech., 3(9):105-108. DOI: 10.10 16/j.conbuildmat.2006.08.009.
- Tam, V.W.Y., et al. 2008. New approach in measuring water absorption of recycled aggregates. Constr. Build. Mater., 22:364-369.
- Kwan, W.H. 2011. Influence of the amount of recycled coarse aggregate in concrete design and durability properties. Constr. Build. Mater., 26(1): 565-573. DOI: 10.1016/j.combuildmat.2011.06. 059.
- Liu, P., et al. 2020. Research on sulphate attack mechanism of cement concrete based on chemical thermodynamics. Adv. Mater. Sci. Eng., 2020:1-76. DOI: 10.1155/2020/6916039.
- Guneyisi, E., M. Gesoglu and Z. H. Yazici. 2014. Effect of surface treatment methods on the properties of self-compacting concrete with recycled aggregates. Constr. Build. Mater., 64:172-183. DOI: 10.1016/j.conbuild in at. 2014..04.090.
- Kapoor, M.E.K., S.P. Singh and B. Singh. 2016. Durability of self-compacting concrete made with recycled concrete aggragated and minerals admixtures. Const. Build. Mater., 128:67-76. DOI: 1037//0033-2909.126.1.78.
- Singh, N. and S.P. Singh. 2016. Carbonation and electrical resistance of self-compacting concrete made with recycled concrete aggregates and metakaolin. Const. Build. Mater., 121:400-409.
- Kumar, B.M.V., H. Ananthan and K.V.A. Balaji. 2017. Experimental studies on utilization of coarse and finer fractions of recycled concrete aggregates in self compacting concrete mixes. J. Build. Eng., 9:100-108. DOI: 1037//0033-2909.126.1.78.
- Tam, V.W.Y. and C.M. Tam. 2009. Parameters for assessing recycled aggregate and their correlation. Waste Manag. Res., 27(1):52–58.
- Katz, A. 2004. Treatments for the improvement of recycled aggregate. J. Mater. Civil Eng., 16(6):597-603.
- IS 269. 2015. Ordinary portland cement-specification (6th rev.). Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi.
- IS 10262. 2019. Concrete mix proportioning-guidelines (2nd rev.). Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi.
- ASTM 1585-13. 2020. Standard test method for measurement of rate of absorbption of water by hydraulic cement concretes. ASTM International.
- BS EN 206-1. 2000. Concrete-specification, performance, production and conformity. British Standard.
- ACI 318-08. Building code requirement for structural concrete (ACI 318-08) and commentary. American Concrete Institute, USA.