IJEP 42(12): 1522-1527 : Vol. 42 Issue. 12 (December 2022)
PSG College of Arts and Science, Department of Botany (PG-UA), Coimbatore – 641 014, Tamil Nadu, India
Air pollution has become a major environmental problem facing the world today due to rapid increase in industrialization and anthropogenic activity. Vast plant species are facing threats due to specific single pollutants or mixtures of pollutants. The present study recorded the structural and physiological parameters in roadside plants, such as Abutilon indica, Cassia auriculata and Morinda tinctoria selected from polluted and control sites. Results of anatomical study in plants (samples 1, 3 and 5) revealed an increase in the layers of epidermis, hypodermis, cortex and endodermis when compared to the plants collected from control site (samples 2, 4 and 6). The total chlorophyll content in the leaves (samples 1, 3 and 5) was found to be lower when compared to samples 2, 4 and 6. The relative water content was high in samples 2, 4 and 6. The highest pH value was recorded in sample 4 and the lowest pH value was observed in sample 1.
Air pollution, Anatomy, Abutilon indica, Cassia auriculata, Morinda tinctoria, Saravanampatti
- Nikolaoua, K., H. Tsarsitalidisb and N. Papadakisc. 2009. Traffic and air pollution temporal evolution in the city of Serres, Greece. J. Env. Prot. Eco., 10(2): 320.
- Mashhood, A.K. and M.G. Arsalan. 2011. Environmental pollution: its effects on life and its remedies. Res. World: J. Arts Sci. Comme.,2(2): 276-285.
- Selvakumar, M. and T. Meenambal. 2010. Monitoring of particulate air pollution due to vehicular emission in Coimbatore city using GIS. Nature Env. Poll. Tec.,9(1): 43-48.
- Daisy, P. and F.G. Jeeva Kani. 2013. Hypolipidemic and hepatoprotective effects of Cassia auriculata Linn bark extracts on streptozotocin induced diabetics in male Wister Albino rats. Asian J. Pharmace. Cli. Res.,6(2): 43-48.
- Krishnamurthy, K.V. 1988. Methods in plant histochemistry. Viswanathan and Co., Chennai, India.
- Prasad, B.J. and D.N. Rao. 1982. Relative sensitivity of a leguminous and a cereal crop to sulphur dioxide pollution. Env. Poll. Ser. Eco. Biol., 29(1): 57-70.
- Arnon, D.I. 1949. Copper enzymes in isolated chloroplasts. Polyphenol oxidase in Beta vulgaris. Plant physiol., 24(1): 1.
- Lowry, O.H., et al. 1951. Protein measurement with the phenol reagent. J. Biol. Chem.,193(1): 265-275.
- Thomas, G.L. and J.V.G. Hyman. 1956. The anthrone method for the determination of carbohydrates in foods and in oral rinsing. J. Dent. Res., 35(1): 90-94.
- Bajaj, K.L. and G. Kaur. 1981. Spectrophotometric determination of L-ascorbic acid in vegetables and fruits. Anlst.,106(1258): 117-120.
- Henson, I.E., et al. 1981. Genotypic variation in pearl millet (Pennisetum americanum (L.) Leeke), in the ability to accumulate abscisic acid in response to water stress. J. Exp. Bot., 32(5): 899-910.
- Singh, S.K. and D.N. Rao. 1983. Evaluation of plants for their tolerance to air pollution. Symposium on Air pollution control. Proceedings, 1: 218-224.
- Michael, Q. 2015. Assessment of bioactivity of selected plants against pests and microbes from agro-pastoral communities in Mbulu district, Tanzania. Doctoral Dissertation. The Open University of Tanzania.
- Jahan, S. and M. Zafar Iqbal. 1992. Morphological and anatomical studies of leaves of different plants affected by motor vehicles exhaust. Med. J. Islamic World Acad. Sci., 5(1): 21-23.
- Iqbal, M.Z. 1985. Cuticular and anatomical studies of white clover leaves from clean and air polluted areas. Poll. Res., 4: 59-61.
- Ogagaoghene, A.J. 2017. The pH level, ascorbic acid, proline and soluble sugar as bio-indicators for pollution. Chem. Search J.,8(2): 41-49.
- Verma, A. 2003. Attenuation of automobile generated air pollution by higher plants. Dissertation. University of Lucknow.
- Marimuthu, K. 2013. Biochemical changes in plants indicating air pollution. Int. J. Pharmacy Pharm. Sci., 5(3): 585 – 586.
- Ajoykumar, K.N. and P.K. Sreya. 2018. Bio-monitoring of roadside plants and their response to vehicular pollution – A physico-chemical appraisal. Int. J. Adv. Res., 6(1): 715 – 725.
- Madhoolika, A. and D.S. Singh. 2003. Physiological and biochemical responses of two cultivars of wheat to elevated levels of CO2 and SO2, singly and in combination. Env. Poll. J.,121(2): 189-
- Prabhat, K.R. and L.S.P. Lalita. 2015. Roadside plants as bio-indicators of air pollution in an industrial region, Rourkela, India. Int. J. Adv. Res. Tech.,4(1): 14-36.
- Davison, A.W. and J.D. Barnes. 1986. Effect of winter stress on pollutant responses. In How are the effects of air pollutants on agricultural crops influenced by the interaction with other limiting factors? CEC, Brussels. pp 16-32.
- Joshi, P.C. and S. Abhishek. 2009. Air pollution induced changes in the photosynthetic pigments of selected plant species. J. Env. Biol.,30(2): 295-298.
- Dedio, W. 1975. Water relations in wheat leaves as screening test for drought resistance. Canadian J. Plant Sci., 55(2): 369-378.