IJEP 42(2): 171-179 : Vol. 42 Issue. 2 (February 2022)
Mochamad Arief Budihardjo*, Mochtar Hadiwidodo, Haryono Setiyo Huboyo and Bimastyaji Surya Ramadan
Universitas Diponegoro, Department of Environmental Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Semarang – 50275, Indonesia
The concentration of some metals (Pb, Cu, Ni and Cr) in the soil samples underneath a municipal integrated solid waste transfer station site was investigated. The transfer station receives approximately 14 m3 of partially sorted domestic solid waste every day. The soil samples are collected from three locations surrounding the transfer station in various depths (2, 4, 6, 8 and 10 m). The obtained samples were destructed and analyzed to determine metals concentration. It is found that the concentration of Cu in the soil fluctuates from 0.22-3.99 mg/kg, the concentration of Cr is 115-119.2 mg/kg, the concentration of Ni is ranged from 0.73-3.55 mg/kg and the concentration of Pb is 2.85-3.59 mg/kg. Cr has the highest concentration among all of the metals in each sampling point. The concentration of metals decreases following the depth of the soil. In contrast, the metal of the same depth in every sampling point only has a relatively similar concentration. Hence, the depth of the soil does not significantly affect the concentration of metals. This phenomenon is probably due to the soil characteristics and permeability directly influences the concentration of metals in the soil.
metals, integrated waste transfer station, soil contamination, leachate
- Halder, J. and N. Islam 2015. Water pollution and its impact on the human health. J. Env. Human., 2:36–46.
- Norsa’adah, B., et al. 2020. Community health survey of residents living near a solid waste open dumpsite in Sabak, Kelantan, Malaysia. Int. J. Env. Res. Public Health. 17:1.
- Khan, M.M.U.H., M. Vaezi and A. Kumar. 2018. Optimal siting of solid waste-to-value-added facilities through a GIS-based assessment. Sci. Total Env., 610–611:1065–1075.
- Usman, M., et al. 2017. A case study of groundwater contamination due to open dumping of municipal solid waste in Faisalabad, Pakistan. Earth Sci. Pakistan. 1(2):15–16.
- Casazza, A. A. and M. Rovatti. 2018. Reduction of nitrogen content in landfill leachate using microalga. J. Desalination Water Treatment. 127(9):71–74.
- Ibrahim, T. N. T., N. Z. Mahmood and F. Othman. 2017. Estimation of leachate generation from MSW landfills in Selangor, Malaysia. Asian J. Microbiol. Biotech. Env. Sci., 19(1):44–49.
- Kumar, A. and S. R. Samadder. 2017. A review on technological options of waste to energy for effective management of municipal solid waste. J. Waste Manage., 69:407–422.
- Kumari, P., A. Kaur and N. C. Gupta. 2019. Extent of groundwater contamination due to leachate migration adjacent to unlined landfill site of Delhi. Env. Claims J., 31(2):160–175.
- Bouzayani, F., A. Aydi and T. Abichou. 2014. Soil contamination by heavy metals in landfills: Measurements from an unlined leachate storage basin. Env. Monit. Assess., 186(8): 5033–5040.
- Vongdala, N., et al. 2019. Heavy metal accumulation in water, soil and plants of municipal solid waste landfill in Vientiane, Laos. Int. J. Env. Res. Public Health. 16(1):1–13.
- Samadder, S. R., et al. 2017. Analysis of the contaminants released from municipal solid waste landfill site: A case study. Sci. Total Env., 580:593–601.
- Parth, V., N. N. Murthy and P. R. Saxena. 2011. Assessment of heavy metal contamination in soil around hazardous waste disposal sites in Hyderabad city (India): natural and anthropogenic implications. E. J. Env. Res. Manage., 2(2):27–34.
- Sultan, M.S., et al. 2018. Determination of some heavy metals in solid waste from heavy water treatment station in Baghdad. Iraqi J. Agric. Sci., 9(3):500–505.
- Kanmani, S. and R. Gandhimathi. 2013. Assess ment of heavy metal contamination in soil due to leachate migration from an open dumping site. Appl. Water Sci., 3(1):193–205.
- Sudomo, N. F. S., W. Oktiawan and T. Istirokhatun. 2012. Optimizing waste management systems in the Diponegoro university campus environment, Tembalang: Efforts towards undip eco-campus. J. Env. Eng.
- Daryati, D., et al. 2019. Soil characteristics analysis based on the unified soil classification system. J. Physics: Conference Series. 1402:022028.
- Sandoval, G. F. B., et al. 2017. Comparison between the falling head and the constant head permeability tests to assess the permeability coefficient of sustainable pervious concretes. Case Studies Construction Mater., 7:317–328.
- Owamah, H. I. 2020. A comprehensive assessment of groundwater quality for drinking purpose in a Nigerian rural Niger delta community. Groundwater Sustain. Develop., 10:100286.
- Bird, G., et al. 2003. The solid state partitioning of contaminant metals and As in river channel sediments of the mining-affected Tisa drainage basin, northwestern Romania and eastern Hungary. Appl. Geochem., 18(10):1583–1595.
- He, Z., et al. 2015. Heavy metal contamination of soils: Sources, indicators and assessment. J. Env. Indicator. 9(2):17–1.
- Wuana, R. A. and F. E. Okieimen. 2011. Heavy metals in contaminated soils: a review of sources, chemistry, risks and best available strategies for remediation. Int. Scholarly Res. Notices. DOI: 10.5402/2011/402647.
- Bukar, L. I., et al. 2012. Applicability of linear regression model for the estimation of mobility factor of heavy metal in contaminated soil against native concentrations. J. Adv. Anal. Chem., 2(2):1–5.
- Hölzle, I. 2017. Contaminants in landfill soils – Reliability of prefeasibility studies. J. Waste Manage., 63:337–344.
- Tang, X., et al. 2019. Health assessment of nickel-contaminated soils linked to chemical and biological characteristics. Soil Sci. Soc. America J., 83(3):614–623.
- Cempel, M. and G. Nikel. 2006. Nickel: A review of its sources and environmental toxicology. Polish J. Env. Studies. 15(3):375–382.
- Sewwandi, B. G. N., et al. 2011. Risk of soil and water pollution by heavy metals in landfill leachate. The 12th Annual Conference of Thai Society of Agricultural Engineering : International conference on agricultural engineering (novelty, clean and sustainable) at Chonburi, Thailand.
- Muller, G. 1969. Index of geoaccumulation in sediments of the Rhine river. Geo. J., 2:108–118.
- Zhang, W., L. Jiang and C. Su. 2014. A review on heavy metal contamination in the soil worldwide : Situation, impact and remediation techniques. J. Env. Skeptics Critics. 3(2):24–38.