IJEP 42(2): 158-170 : Vol. 42 Issue. 2 (February 2022)
1. Andhra University, Department of Physical, Nuclear Chemistry and Chemical Oceanography, School of Chemistry, Visakhapatnam – 530 003, Andhra Pradesh, India
2. ICAR-Central Institute of Brackishwater Aquaculture, Chennai – 600 028, Tamil Nadu, India
Water quality and phytoplankton biomass were examined over one year period concerning aquaculture farming periods in a river-dominated, mangrove estuary receiving periodic inputs of effluents at outfall of shrimp farms (OFSF) stations from adjacent brackishwater shrimp ponds and in away from shrimp farms (AFSF) stations. Salinity, dissolved oxygen (DO) and total suspended solids (TSS) at the OFSF stations were significantly different (p<0.01) from AFSF stations. There were no significant differences between the OFSF and AFSF stations in dissolved nutrient concentrations. Water quality and phytoplankton biomass in OFSF stations were within the ambient levels, based on comparison with AFSF stations. Regular river discharge and tides of semi-diurnal type cause water quality and phytoplankton biomass in the OFSF stations of lower and middle reaches of estuary returned to levels equivalent to those in the AFSF stations. The limited spatial and temporal impact suggests that the effluents were dissipated by tides and assimilated and/or mineralized by the estuarine food web. Our results imply that river-dominated, mangrove estuary has some capacity, atleast over short spatial and temporal scales, to process intermittent inputs of pond-derived effluents.
Brackishwater, aquaculture, Effluents, Farming periods, Nutrients, Phytoplankton, Water quality
- Morris, A.W., et al. 1995. The estuary plume zone: Source or sink for land–derived nutrient discharges? Estuar. Coast Shelf. Sci., 40: 387-402.
- Simpson, J.H., A. Vennell and J.A. Souza. 2001. The salt fluxes in a tidally-energetic estuary. Estuar. Coast. Shelf. Sci., 52(1) : 131-142.
- Minello, T.J., et al. 2003. Salt marshes as nurseries for nekton: testing hypotheses on density, growth and survival through meta-analysis. Mar. eco. prog. series. 246: 39-59.
- Dorenbosch, M.G.G., et al. 2005. Indo-Pacific seagrass beds and mangroves contribute to fish density and diversity on adjacent coral reefs. Mar. eco. prog. series. 302: 63-76
- Kimirei, et al. 2011. Ontogenetic habitat use by mangrove/seagrass-associated coral reef fishes shows flexibility in time and space. Estuar. Coast. Shelf Sci., 92: 47–58.
- Boon, P.J., P. Calow and G.E. Petts. 1991. River conservation and management. John Wiley & Sons, Chichester, England, UK.
- FAO. 2018. The state of world fisheries and aquaculture 2010. FAO Fisheries and aquaculture Department, Rome.
- Ziemann, D.A., et al. 1992. A survey of water quality characteristics of effluent from Hawaiian aquaculture facilities. J. World. Aqua. Soc., 23(3): 180-191.
- Twilley, et al. 1993. Litter dynamics in riverine mangrove forests in the Guayas river estuary, Ecuador. Oecol.,111(1): 109-122.
- Dierberg, F.E. and W. Kiattisimkul. 1986. Issues, impacts and implications of shrimp aquaculture in Thailand. Env. Manage., 20 (5): 649-666.
- Bardach, J .H. 1997. Aquaculture, pollution and biodiversity. In Sustainable aquaculture. Ed J.E. Bardach. John Wiley and Sons, New York. pp 87-100.
- Boyd, C. E. 2003. Guidelines for aquaculture effluent management at the farm level. Aquacul., 226(1-4): 101–112.
- Sar‘a, G. 2007. Ecological effects of aquaculture on living and non-living suspended fractions of the water column: a meta analysis. Water Res., 41(15): 3187– 3200.
- Anh, P.T., et al. 2010. Water pollution by intensive brackish shrimp farming in south-east Vietnam: causes and options for control. Agric. Water. Manage., 97(6): 872–882.
- Bui, T.D., et al. 2012. Impact of shrimp farm effluent on water quality in coastal areas of the world heritage-listed Ha Long Bay. American J. Env. Sci., 8 (2):104–116.
- McKinnon, A.D., et al. 2002. Water column production and nutrient characteristics in mangrove creeks receiving shrimp farm effluent. Aquacul. Res., 33(1): 55-73.
- Biao, X., D. Zhuhong and W. Xiaorong. 2004. Impact of the intensive shrimp farming on the water quality of the adjacent coastal creeks from eastern China. Mar. Poll. Bull., 48 (5-6): 543-553.
- De Lacerda, D.L., et al. 2006. Relative importance of nitrogen and phosphorus emissions from shrimp farming and other anthropogenic sources for six estuaries along the NE Brazilian coast. Aquacul., 253(1-4) : 433-446.
- Cardoso-Mohedano, J.G., et al. 2016. Combined environmental stress from shrimp farm and dredging releases in a subtropical coastal lagoon (SE Gulf of California). Mar. Poll. Bull., 104(1-2): 83-91.
- Wang, W. L., et al. 2007. Environmental impact of aquaculture and countermeasures to aquaculture pollution in China. Env. Sci. Poll. Res., 14: 452-462.
- Wu, H., et al. 2014. Mariculture pond influence on mangrove areas in South China: Significantly larger nitrogen and phosphorus loadings from sediment wash-out than from tidal water exchange. Aquacul., 426-427: 204-212.
- Wolanski, E., et al. 2000. Modelling and visualizing the fate of shrimp pond effluent in a mangrove-fringed tidal creek. Estuar. Coast. Shelf. Sci., 50(1): 85-97.
- Burford, M., et al. 2003. Nutrient and microbial dynamics in high-intensity, zero-exchange shrimp ponds in Belize. Aquacul., 219: 393– 411.
- Costanzo, D.S., et al. 2004. Assessing the influence and distribution of shrimp pond effluent in a tidal mangrove creek in north-east Australia. Mar. Poll. Bull., 48(5): 514-525.
- Molnar, N., et al. 2013. Impacts of shrimp farm effluent on water quality, benthic metabolism and N-dynamics in a mangrove forest (New Caledonia). Estuar. Coast. Shelf. Sci., 117: 12-21.
- Cardoso-Mohedano, J.G., et al. 2016a. Reducing nutrient impacts from shrimp effluents in a subtropical coastal lagoon. Sci. Total Env., 571: 388- 397.
- Paez-Osuna, F., et al. 2001. The environmental impact of shrimp aquaculture: Causes, effects and mitigating alternatives. Env. Manage., 28(1): 131-140.
- Grasshoff, K., K. Kremling and M. Ehrhardt. 1999. Methods of seawater analysis (3rd edn). Wiley-VCH Verlag GmbH.
- APHA. 1989. Standard methods for the examination of water and wastewater. Part 3: Determination of metals (17th edn). American Public Health Association, Washington DC.
- Padmavathi, D. and D. Satyanarayana. 1999. Distribution of nutrients and major elements in riverine, estuarine and adjoining coastal waters of Godavari, Bay of Bengal. Indian J. Mar. Sci., 28: 345-354.
- Nageswararao, I., et al. 2017. Seasonal variation in the physico-chemical parameters in the estuarine waters of Gautami Godavari, east coast of India. J. Appl. Chem., 6(5): 808-816.
- Anilakumary, K.S., P.K. A. Azis and P. Natarajan. 2007. Water quality of the Adimalathura estuary, southwest coast of India. J. Mar. Biol. Assoc., 49 (1) : 1-6.
- Pankaj, B., J.L. Rathod and D. Raveendra. 2017. Impact of shrimp aquaculture on hydro-biological parameters of Kali estuary, Karwar, west coast of India. Int. J. Fish. Aqua. Stu., 5(4): 228-233.
- Ramanadham, R. and R. Varadarajulu. 1975. Hydrology and hydrography of krishna estuary. In Recent researches in estuarine biology. Ed R. Natarajan. Hindustan publication corporation, New Delhi. pp 151-164.
- De Sousa, S.N., et al. 1981. Studies on nutrients of Mandovi and Zuari river systems. Indian J. Mar. Sci., 10:314-321.
- Lal, D. 1978. Transfer of chemical species through estuaries to oceans. UNESCO/SCOR workshop. Melreus, Belgium. Proceedings. pp.166-170.
- Edokpayi, C.A., J.K. Sailu and O.J. Eruteya. 2010. Assessment of temporal fluctuations in water quality of the coastal waters of training mole, Tarkwa Bay, Nigeria. J. American Sci., 6(10): 1179-1185.
- Usha, N., et al. 2015. Monitoring longterm shoreline changes along Tamil Nadu, India using geospatial techniques. Aqua. Proceed., 4: 325-332.
- Hopkins, J.S., et al. 1993. Effect of water exchange rate on production, water quality, effluent characteristics and nitrogen budgets of intensive shrimp ponds. J. World. Aqua. Soc., 24(3): 304-320.
- Boyd, C.E. and F.J. Queiroz. 2001. Feasibility of retention structures, settling basins and best management practices in effluent regulation for Alabama channel catfish farming. Rev. Fish. Sci., 9(2): 43-67.
- Miranda-Baeza, A., et al. 2007. Effluent characteristics and nutrient loading of a semi-intensive shrimp farm in NW Mexico. Vie et Milieu. 57: 21-27.
- Davis, J.C. 1975. Minimal dissolved oxygen requirements of aquatic life with emphasis on Canadian species: A Review. J. Fish. Res. Board Canada. 32: 2295-2332.
- Magni, P., S. Montani and K. Tada. 2002. Semi-diurnal dynamics of salinity, nutrients and suspended particulate matter in an estuary in the Seto inland sea, Japan, during a spring tide cycle. J. Ocenogr., 58: 389-402.
- Sawyer, C.N., et al. 2003. Chemistry for environmental engineering and science (5th edn). McGraw-Hill, New York.
- Al-Hejuje, M.M., N.A. Hussain and H.T. Al-Saad. 2017. Applied heavy metals pollution index (HPI) as a water pollution indicator of Shatt Al-Arab river, Basrah, Iraq. Int. J. Mar. Sci., 7(35):353–360.
- Barraza-Guardado, R.H., et al. 2013. Effluents of shrimp farms and its influence on the coastal ecosystems of Bahía de Kino, Mexico. Sci. World. J. DOI:10.1155/2013/306370.
- Trott, L.A. and M. Alongi. 2000.The Impact of shrimp pond effluent on water quality and phytoplankton biomass in a tropical mangrove estuary. Mar. Poll. Bull., 40 (11): 947-951.
- Wedemeyer, G.A. 1996. Physiology of fish in intensive culture systems. Chapman and Hall, New York.
- Varol, M. 2011.Assessment of heavy metal contamination in sediments of the Tigris river (Turkey) using pollution indices and multivariate statistical techniques. J. Hazard. Mater., 195: 355-364.
- Satpathy, K.K., et al. 2010. Seasonal variation in physico-chemical properties of coastal waters of Kalpakkam, east coast of India with special emphasis on nutrients. Env. Monit. Asses.,164: 153-171.
- Choudhary, S. and R.C. Panigrahy. 1991. Seasonal distribution and behaviour of nutrients in the creek and coastal waters of Gopalpur east coast of India. Mahasagar. 24: 81-83.
- Satpathy, K.K. 1996. Seasonal distribution of nutrients in the coastal waters of Kalpakkam, east coast of India. Indian J. Mar. Sci., 25: 221-224.
- George, B., J. I. N. kumar and R.N. Kumar. 2012. Study on the influence of hydrochemical parameters on phytoplankton distribution along Tapi es tuarine area of Gulf of Khambhat, India. Egyptian J. Aqua. Res., 38(3): 157-170.
- Paytan, A. and K. McLaughlin. 2007. The oceanic phosphorus cycle. Chem. Rev., 107(2): 563–57.
- Gouda, R. and R. C. Panigrahy. 1995. Zooplankton ecology of the Rushikulya estuary, east coast of India. J. Aqua. Cult. Trop., 10(3): 201-211.
- Liu, M., et al. 2009. Nutrient budgets for large Chinese estuaries. Biogeosci., 6 : 2245-2263.
- Patra, A.P., et al. 2010. Seasonal variation in physi-co-chemical parameters of Chilika lake after opening of new mouth near Gabakunda, Orissa, India. World J. Fish Marine Sci., 2 (2):109-117.
- Osandu, M. 2008. Phytoplankton and nutrient dynamics of a tropical estuarine system, Imo river estuary, Nigeria. 2 (2).
- Sankar, R., et al. 2010. Seasonal variations in physico-chemical parameters and heavy metals in water and sediments of Uppanar estuary, Nagap-attinam, India. J. Env. Biol., 31(5):681-686.
- Sarma, V.V., et al. 2006. Role of physical processes in the distribution of chlorophyll-a in the northwest Bay of Bengal during pre and post-monsoon seasons. Curr. Sci., 91:1133-1134.
- Zang, C., S. Huang and S. Du. Comparison of relationships between pH, dissolved oxygen and chlorophyll a for aquaculture and non-aquaculture waters. Water. Air Soil. Poll., 219(1): 157-174.
- Burford, M. 1997. Phytoplankton dynamics in shrimp ponds. Aqua. Res., 28:351-360.