IJEP 42(2): 200-208 : Vol. 42 Issue. 2 (February 2022)
1. Yogi Vemana University, Department of Earth Sciences, Kadapa – 516 005, Andhra Pradesh, India
2. CSIR-National Geophysical Research Institute, Hydrogeochemistry Group, Hyderabad – 500 007, Telangana, India
3. Academy of Scientific and Innovative Research (AcSIR), Ghaziabad – 201 002, U.P., India
The current paper aims at determining the status and patterns of groundwater quality of Chinnamandem Mandal, Y.S.R Kadapa district, Andhra Pradesh by applying the water quality index method. For this study, twelve groundwater samples were collected in 2019 and analyzed for pH, EC, TDS, total hardness, calcium, magnesium, chloride, fluoride, bicarbonate, nitrate and sulphate. The computed water quality index value for the groundwater ranges from 28.004-84.157. The analysis results reveal that few of the groundwater samples parameters, like EC, TDS, total hardness, calcium, magnesium, chloride and bicarbonate exceed the WHO standards but overall the water quality index was found to be good for drinking. This study focuses on the importance of water quality indexing for groundwater quality assessment which helps to take necessary steps to avoid the use of contaminated water in this area.
Groundwater, Water quality index, Chinnamandem mandal, Y.S.R Kadapa district, Andhra Pradesh
- Domenico, P.A. and F.W. Schwartz. 1990. Physical and chemical hydrogeology. John Wiley and Sons, New York.
- Guler, C. and G.D. Thyne. 2004. Hydrologic and geologic factors controlling surface and groundwater chemistry in Indian Wells-Owens valley area, southeastern California, U.S.A. J. Hydrol., 285: 177-198.
- Elango, L., R. Kannan and M. Senthil Kumar. 2003. Major ion chemistry and identification of hydrogeochemical processes of groundwater in a part of Kancheepuram district, Tamil Nadu, India. J. Env. Geosci., 10:157-166.
- Amoako, J., A.Y. Karikari and O.D. Ansa-Asare. 2011. Physico-chemical quality of bore holes in Densu basin of Ghana. Appl. Water Sci., 1:41-48.
- Brindha, K. and L. Elango. 2010. Study on bromide in groundwater in parts of Nalgonda district, Andhra Pradesh. Earth Sci. India. 3(1):73-80.
- Narasimha, A. and S. Venkatayogi. 2017. Mechanism fluoride enrichment in groundwater of hard rock aquifers in Medak, Telangana state, South India. Env. Earth Sci., 76(1):45.
- Guo, F., G. Jiang and D. Yuan. 2007. Major ions in typical subterranean rivers and their anthropogenic impacts in southwest karst areas, China. Env. Geo., 53:533-541.
- Karunaidhi, D., et al. 2019. Potential health risk assessment for fluoride and nitrate contamination in hard rock aquifers of Shanmuganadhi river basin, South India. Human Health Risk Assess. Int. J., 25(1-2):250-270.
- Reddy, B.M., V. Sunitha and M.R. Reddy. 2015. Geospatial analysis of fluoride contamination in groundwater of south-eastern part of Anantapur district, Andhra Pradesh. In Management of natural resources in a changing environment. Ed N. Raju, W. Gossel and M. Sudhakar. Springer International Publishing. DOI:10.1007/978-3-319-12559-6_4.
- Sunitha, V., B.M. Reddy and S. Sumithra. 2016. Assessment of groundwater quality index in the Kadapa municipal city, Y.S.R. district, Andhra Pradesh. Int. J. Adv. Res., 6(2):545-548.
- Sunitha, V., J. A. Khan and B.M. Reddy. 2013. Fluoride contamination in groundwater in and around Badvel, Kadapa district, Andhra Pradesh. Indian J. Adv. Chem. Sci., 2(1):78-82.
- Moghaddam, A. and M. Najib. 2006. Hydrogeologic characteristics of the alluvial tuff aquifer of northern Sah and mountain slopes, Tabriz, Iran. Hydrogeol. J., 14:1349-1329.
- Jalaki, M. 2006. Chemical characteristics of groundwater in parts of mountainous region, Alvanad, Hamadan, Iran. Env. Geol., 51:433-446.
- Khazaei, E., et al. 2006. Hydrochemical changes over time in the Zahedan aquifer, Iran. Env. Monit. Assess., 114:123-143.
- Sunitha, V., B.M. Reddy and M.R. Reddy. 2012. Groundwater contamination from agro-chemicals in irrigated environment : Field trials. Int. J. Adv. Appl. Sci. Res., 3(5):3382-3386.
- Sunitha, V., et al. 2015. Assessment of groundwater quality in and around Pendlimarri mandal Kadapa district, Andhra Pradesh, India. Indian J. Env. Prot., 35(2):163-171.
- Sunitha, V. and B.M. Reddy. 2018. Defluoridation of water using menthe longifolia (mint) as bioadsorbent. J. Geophy. Union. 22(2):207-211.
- Reddy, B.M. and V. Sunitha. 2019a. Geochemistry and health impact of fluoride in groundwater in parts of Anantapur district, Andhra Pradesh. Grin Verlag, Munich.
- Walton, W.C. 1970. Groundwater resources evaluation. McGraw Hill Book Company, New York.
- Meenakshi and R.C. Maheshwari. 2006. Fluoride in drinking water and its removal. J. Hazard. Mater., B137:456-463.
- Narasimha, A. 2019. Controlling factors and mechanism of groundwater quality variation in semiarid region of south India : An approach of water quality index and health risk assessment. Env. Geochem. Health. 42(6):1725–1752. DOI : 10.1007/s10653-019-00374-8.
- Vidyadhar, V.V. 2012. Groundwater brochure, Anantapur district, Andhra Pradesh. Cenral Groundwater Board, Ministry of Water Resources, Government of India.
- APHA. 2012. Standard methods for examination of water and wastewater. American Public Health Association, New York.
- Raghunath, H.M. 2003. Groundwater. New Age International (P) Ltd., New Delhi. pp 344-369.
- Hem, J.D. 1985. Study and interpretation of chemical characteristics of natural water (3rd edn). U.S. Geological Survey Water Supply paper 2254. U.S. Geological Survey.
- WHO. 2006. Guidelines for drinking water quality (1st edn addendum to the 3rd edn). Recommendations. World Health Organization, Geneva.
- Haran, H. 2002. Evaluation of drinking water quality at Jalaripeta village of Visakhapatnam district, Andhra Pradesh. Nat. Env. Poll. Tech., 1(4):407-410.
- Devi, G.S., et al. 2003. Physico-chemical charac teristics of drinking water at Velsao, Goa. J. Env. Monit., 13:203-209.
- US Geological Survey. 2000. Classification of natural ponds and lakes. US Department of the Interior, US Geological Survey, Washington DC.
- Sawyer, C.N., P.L. Mccarty and G.F. Parkin. 2003. Chemistry for environmental engineering and science (5th edn). McGraw-Hill, New York.
- Karanth, K.R. 1987. Groundwater assessment, development and management. Tata McGraw Hill Publishing Company Ltd., New Delhi.
- Reddy, B.M., et al. 2019. Evaluation of groundwater suitability for domestic and agricultural utility in semi-arid regional of Anantapur, Andhra Pradesh, South India. Sustain. Develop., 9:100262.
- WHO. 2011. Guidelines for drinking water quality (4th edn). World Health Organization, Geneva.
- ISI 0500. 2012. Indian standard specification for drinking water. Indian Standard Institution, New Delhi.
- Brown, R.M., et al. 1970. A water quality index : Do we dare? Water Sewage Work. 117:339-343.