IJEP 42(2): 218-225 : Vol. 42 Issue. 2 (February 2022)
1. Al-Neelain University, Department of Environmental Science, Faculty of Science and Technology, Khartoum, Sudan
2. Abu Dhabi University, College of Health Sciences, Abu Dhabi, UAE
Environmental pollution, Solid waste, Soil, Landfill, Dumpsite, Alkalinity, Heavy metals, Monitoring, Sudan
- EEAA. 2000. National strategy for management of solid municipal waste. General Action Framework. General Department for Waste, Egyptian Environmental Affaris Agency.
- EEAA. 2001. Guiding document of solid waste re gime in Egypt. Egyptian Environmental Affairs Agency.
- Soni, S.K. 2007. A source of energy for 21st century, New Delhi, India. Sources and sanitations. Open J. Preventive Medicine. 4(7):535-544.
- Palczynski, R.J. and W.N. Scotia. 2002. Study on solid waste management options for Africa. Project report. Final draft version. Prepared for African Development Bank.
- Lagerkvist, A. and L. Dahlen. 2019. Solid waste generation and characterization. Recovery of materials and energy from urban waste. In A volume in the encylopedia of sustainability science and technology (2nd edn). pp 7-20.
- Twumasi, P., et al. 2016. Assessment of the levels of cadmium and lead in soil and vegetable samples from selected dumsites in the Kumasi metropolis of Ghana. African J. Agric. Res., 11:1608-1616.
- Lebreton, L. and A. Andrady. 2019. Future scenarios of global plastic waste generation and disposal. Palgrave Communications. 5(1):1-11.
- Sari, A.R.K., et al. 2019. The effectiveness of heavy metals Pb, Cd and Zn reduction in NPK fertilizer waste combined with bio-filters of seaweed (Gracillaria sp.), blood clam (Anadara sp.) and zeoline. IOP Conference Series : Earth Env. Sci., 236.
- El-Kady, A.A. and M.A. Abdel-Wahhab. 2018. Occurrence of trace metals in foodstuffs and their health impact. trends food sci. tech., 75:36-45.
- Duffus, J.H. 2002. Heavy metals-A meaningless term. Pure Appl. Chem., 74:793-807.
- Lenntech. 2004. water treatment and air pollution. Water treatment, Netherlands. Available at : www. excelwater.com/thp/filters/water-purification.
- Ngole, V.M. and G.E. Ekosse. 2012. Copper, nickel and zinc contamination in soils within the precincts of mining and land filling environments. Int. J. Env. Sci. Tech., 9:485-494.
- Ngole, V.M. 2015. Heavy metals in soil along unpaved roads in sout-west Cameroon : Contamination levels and health risks. Ambio. 45 (3):374-386.
- Awokummi, E.F., S.S. Asaolu and K.O. Ipinmoroti. 2010. Effect of leaching on heavy metals concentration of soil, in some dumpsites. African J. Env. Sci. Tech., 4:495-499.
- Olayiwola, H.A., et al. 2017. Heavy metal content in soil and plants at dumpsites : A case study of Awotan and Ajakanga dumpsite Ibadan, Oyo state, Nigeria. J. Env. Earth Sci., 7:11-24.
- Abdulahi, M.M. 2009. Municipal solid waste incineration bottom ash as road construction material assumption. Uni. J. Tech., 13(2):121-128.
- Asongwe, G.A., B.P.K. Yerima and A.S. Tening. 2014. Vegetable production and the livelihood of farmers in Bamenda Municipaliity, Cameroon. Int. J. Curr. Microbiol. Appl. Sci., 3(12):682-700.
- Assah, V.A., A.F. Abimbola and C.E. Suh. 2006. Heavy metal concentrations and distribution in
surface soils of the Bassa industrial zone I,
Douala, Comaroon. Arabian J. Sci. Eng., 31(2a): 147-158.
- Zhang, W., F. Jiang and J. Ou. 2011. Global pesticide consumption and pollution : With China as a focus. Int. Acad. Ecol. Env. Sci., 1(2):125-144.
- Dosumu, O., N. Salami and F.A. Adekola. 2003. Comparative study of trace element levels. Bull. Chem. Soc. Ethiopia. 17(1):107-112.
- Modaihsh, A.S., M.S. Al-Swailem and M.O. Mahjoub. 2004. Heavy metals content of commercial inorganic fertilizers used in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Agric. Marine Sci., 9(1):21-25.
- Bitondo, D., et al. 2013. Micronutrient concentrations and environmental concerns in an intensively cultivated typic dystrandept in Mount Bambouto, Cameroon. Open J. Soil Sci., 3:283-288.
- Praveena, G.S. and P.V.V. Rao. 2016. Impact of leachate on soil properties in the dumpsite: A case study of Greater Visakhapatnam. Int. J. Eng. Res. Gen. Sci., 4 (1):235-241.
- AEP. 2019. Alberta tier I soil and groundwater remediation guidelines. Land Policy Branch, Policy and Planning Division, Government of Alberta Canada.
- Uba, S.A., et al. 2012. Assessment of heavy metals bioavailability in dumpsites of Zaira metropolis, Nigeria. African J. Biotech., 7:122-130.
- Obasi, N.A., et al. 2012. Assessment of physico-chemical properties and heavy metals bioavailability in dumpsite along Enuga port, Harcourt expressway, south-east Nigeria. Asian J. Appl. Sci., 5:342-356.
- Appel, C. and L. M. 2002. Concentration, pH and surface charge effects on cadmium and lead sorption in three tropical soils. J. Env. Quality. 31:581-589.
- Kebede, A.A., D.D. Olani and T.G. Edesa. 2016. Heavy metal content and physico-chemical properties of soil around solid waste disposal sites. American J. Sci. Ind. Res., 7(5):129-139.
- Mekonnen, B., A. Haddis and W. Zeine. 2020. Assessment of the effect of solid waste dumpsite on surrounding soil and river water quality in Tepi town, southwest Ethiopia. J. Env. Public Health. DOI: 10.11 55/2020/5157046.
- WHO. 2007. Joint FAO/WHO expert standards programme codex alimentation commission. World Health Organization, Geneva.
- Yahaya, M.I., S. Mohammad and B.K. Abdulahi. 2009. Seasonal variations of heavy metals concentrations in Abattoir dumping site soil in Nigeria. J. Appl. Sci. Env. Manage., 13(4):9-13.
- Rastegari, M. 2017. Distribution, source identification and health risk assessment of soil heavy metals in urban areas of Isfahan province, Iran. J. Africa Earth Sci., 132:16–26.
- Beyene, H. and S. Banerjee. 2011. Assessment of the pollution status of the solid waste disposal site of Addis Ababa city with some selected trace elements, Ethiopia. World Appl. Sci. J., 14(7): 1048–1057.