IJEP 42(3): 350-356 : Vol. 42 Issue. 3 (March 2022)
M.R. Deepak Chakravarthy, V. Gopalakannan, S. Vengadesh Prasanth and V. Yogeshwaran*
Sri Krishna College of Engineering and Technology, Department of Civil Engineering, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, India
Water is essential for each and every living organisms residing in the earth. Nowaday’s earth is facing a severe water scarcity. According to the research which was done in 2019 it has been found that world will suffer severe water scarcity by the year of 2021. It is found that about 97% of water in the earth is saline water. The major cause for the water scarcity is the rise in population. It is a basic need to convert the saline or brackish water into the potable drinking water. The acrylic still enclosed with concentrating dish is a simple device which is used for converting brackish water into the potable drinking water. This paper presents a study about the acrylic solar still enclosed with concentrating dish. It gives the good productivity value and the water scarcity also be reduced by this method. This can be adopted in future for the purpose of converting brackish water into usable water and this process has the good efficiency value.
Solar still, Fins, Brackish water, Concentrating dish
- Edreis, E.M.A., et al. 2019. A mini review of techniques used to improve the tubular solar still performance for solar water desalination. Process Saf. Env. Prot.
- Abdullah, A., et al. 2018. Performance evaluation of a humidification-dehumidification unit integrated with wick solar stills under different operating conditions. Desalination. 441:52-61.
- Kabeel, A., Z. Omara and F. Essa. 2017. Numerical investigation of modified solar still using nanofluids and external condenser. J. Taiwan Inst. Chem. Eng., 75:77-86.
- Kumar, D.B., et al. 2019. Performance analysis of specially designed single basin passive solar distillers incorporated with novel solar desalting stills : A review. Solar Energy. 185:146-164.
- Manokar, A.M., A.K. Murugavel and G. Esakki-muthu. 2014. Different parameters affecting the rate of evaporation and condensation on passive solar sill-A review. Renew. Sustain. Energy Reviews. 38:309-322.
- Duffie, J.A. 1962. New materials in solar energy utilization. Solar Energy. 6:114-118.
- Mathews, S. 2009. Desalination in middle east set to grow. Home/utilities middle East.
- Velmurugan, V., et al. 2008. Single basin solar still with fin for enhancing productivity. Energy Conser. Manage., 49:2602-2608.
- Mohamed, E.A. and Zhengming Zhao. 2009. Wind turbine-inclined still collector integration with solar still for brackish water desalination. Desalination. 249:490-497.
- Elimelech, M. 2006. The global challenge for adequate and safe water. J. Water Supply Res., Tech., 55:3.
- Velmurugan, V., et al. 2008. Desalination of effluent using fin type solar still. Energy. 33:1719-1727.
- Sharshir, S.W., et al. 2019. Influence of basin metals and novel wick-metal chips pad on the thermal performance of solar desalination process. J. Clean Prod.
- Omara, Z.M., M.A. Eltawil and E.A. Elmashar. A new hybrid desalination system using wicks/solar still and evacuated solar water heater. pp 64.
- Appadurai, M. and V. Velmurugan. 2015. Performance analysis of fin type solar still integrated with fin type mini solar pond. Sustain. Energy Tech. Assess., 9:30-36.
- Dhindsa, G.S. and M.K. Mittal. 2018. Experimental study of basin type vertical multiple effect diffusion solar still integrated with mini solar pond to generated nocturnal distillate. Energy Convers. Manage., 165:669-680.
- Velmurugan, V., et al. 2009. Augmentation of saline streams in solar stills integrating with a mini solar pond. Desalination. 249:143-149.
- El-Sebaii, A., et al. Thermal performance of an active single basin solar still (ASBS) coupled to shallow solar pond (SSP). Desalination. 28.
- Modi, K., et al. 2021. Experimental and theoretical assessment of dual-slope single basin solar still with the circular cross-sectional hollow-fins. Cleaner Eng. Tech., 4 : 100231.
- Praveen, A., et al. 2017. Experimental inve-stigation on hybrid PV/T active solar still with effective heating and cover cooling method. Desalination.
- Joshi, P. and G.N. Tiwari. 2018. Energy matrices, exergo-economic and enviro-economic analysis of an active single slope solar still integrated with a heat exchanger : A comparative study. Desalination. 443:85-98.
- Shannon, M.A., et al. 2008. Science and technology for water purification in the coming decades. Nature. 452:301-310.
- Tiwari, A.K. and G.N. Tiwari. 2007. Thermal modeling based on solar fraction and experimental study of the annual and seasonal performance of a single slope passive solar still : The effect of water depths. Desalination. 207:184-204.