IJEP 42(6): 738-744 : Vol. 42 Issue. 6 (June 2022)
Karnatak University, Department of Studies in Geology, Dharwad – 580 003, Karnataka, India
A detailed study was carried out to evaluate the geochemical processes regulating groundwater quality and to assess the suitability of waters for agriculture in Ilkalhalla sub-basin of Bagalkote and Koppal districts of Karnataka, India. The area is composed of sandstone, pink and grey granite, granodiorite, metasediments and metavolcanics. The above studies were carried out by collecting 77 representative water samples each during pre-monsoon and post-monsoon seasons. Collected water samples were subjected to physical and chemical analysis following standard operating procedures. Based on the results of analysis, irrigational parameters, such as SAR, Na%, RSC, PI and KI were calculated. Based on the TH values almost all the samples are falling in category of hard to very hard (>150 mg/L) during both seasons. Based on RSC values 7 and 20 number of water samples during PRM and POM, respectively are found to be unsuitable for use in groundwater. Based on USSL diagram, most of the water samples are falling into class of high salinity hazard type during both seasons which indicates that high salinity and low sodium waters are moderately suitable for irrigation purposes.
Ilkalhalla sub-basin, Water quality, Granites, Sodium absorption ratio, Kelley’s index
- Nickson, R.T., et al. 2005. Arsenic and other drinking water quality issues, Muzaffargarh district, Pakistan. Appl. Geochem., 20(1): 55–68
- Campisi-Pinto, S., J. Adamowski and G. Oron. 2012. Forecasting urban water demand via wavelet-denoising and neural network models. Case study: city of Syracuse, Italy. Water Resour. Manage. 26 (12): 3539–3558.
- Adamowski, K., A. Prokoph and J. Adamowski. 2009. Development of a new method of wavelet aided trend detection and estimation. Hydrol. Process. 23 (18): 2686–2696.
- Butler, C. and J. Adamowski. 2015. Empowering marginalized communities in water resources management: addressing inequitable practices in participatory model building. J. Env. Manage., 153: 153–162
- Davis, S.N. and R.J.M. Dewiest. 1966. Hydroge-ology. Wiley, New York.
- Dawood, S.A., A.S. Khudier and A.N. Bashara. 2018. Physico-chemical quality assessment and multivariate statistical analysis of groundwater quality in Basrah, Iraq. Int. J. Eng. Tech., 7 (4.20): 245-250
- Ramakrishnaiah, C.R., C. Sadashivaiah and G. Ranganna. 2009. Assessment of water quality index for the groundwater in Tumkur taluk, Karnataka state, India. J. Chem., 6(2): 523-530.
- Kelley, W.P. 1940. Permissible composition and concentration of irrigation waters. Proc. American Soc. Civil Eng., 66: 607-613.
- Wilcox, L.V. 1948. The quality water for irrigation use. Technical Bulletin no. 962. US Department of Agriculture, Washington DC.
- Chidambaram, S., et al. 2010. Study on the hydrogeochemical characteristics in groundwater, post- and pre-tsunami scenario, from Portnova to Pumpuhar, southeast coast of India. Env. Monit. Assess., 169: 553–568.
- Zhao, J., et al. 2011. Multivariate analysis of surface water quality in the Three Gorges area of China and implications for water management. J. Env. Sci., 23(9): 1460–1471.
- Rao, N.S., et al. 2012. Chemical characteristics of groundwater and assessment of groundwater quality in Varaha river basin, Visakhapatnam district, Andhra Pradesh, India. Env. Monit. Assess., 184: 5189–5214.
- Manikandan, S., et al. 2012. A study on the high fluoride concentration in the magnesium-rich waters of hard rock aquifer in Krishnagiri district, Tamil nadu, India. Arabian J. Geosci., 7: 273–285.
- Singaraja, C., et al. 2013a. Hydrochemistry of groundwater in a coastal region and its repercussion on quality, a case study— Thoothukudi district, Tamil nadu, India. Arabian J. Geosci., 7(3): 939-950
- Bohlke, J.K. 2002. Groundwater recharge and agricultural contamination. Hydrogeol. J., 10: 153–179.
- Jalali, M. and Z. Kolahchi. 2008. Groundwater quality in an irrigated, agricultural area of northern Malayer, western Iran. Nutrient Cycling Agroe-cosystems. 80: 95–105.
- Thivya, C., et al. 2013b. Identification of the geochemical processes in groundwater by factor analysis in hard rock aquifers of Madurai district, South India. Arabian J. Geosci., 7: 3767–3777.
- APHA. 1995. Standard methods for the examination of water and wastewater (19th edn). American Public Health Association, Washington DC.
- Bhat, M.A., et al. 2018. An overview of the assessment of groundwater quality for irrigation. J. Agri. Sci. Food Res., 9 (1): 1-9.
- Erguvanli, K. and E. Yuzer. 1987. Groundwater geology (hydrogeology). ITU Maden Fakultesi, Istanbul.
- Srinivasamoorthy, K., et al. 2013. Hydrochemistry of groundwater in a coastal region of Cuddalore district, Tamil nadu, India: implication for quality assessment. Arabian J. Geosci., 6:441–454.
- Freeze, R.A and J.A. Cherry. 1979. Groundwater. Prentice Hall Book Co., New Jersey.
- WHO. 2004. Guidelines for drinking water quality recommendations (vol 1). World Health Organization, Geneva.
- Hem, J.D. 1985. Study and interpretation of the chemical characteristics of natural water (3rd edn). US Geological Survey Water-Supply Paper 2254, University of Virginia, Charlottesville.
- Kotaiah, K.B. and N. Kumaraswamy. 1994. Environmental engineering laboratory manual. Charotar Publishing House, Gujarat.
- Dhembare, A.J., G.M. Pondhe and C.R. Sing. 1998. Groundwater characteristics and their significance with special reference to public health in Parvara area. Poll. Res., 17 (1): 87-90.
- Rao, N.S. 2006. Seasonal variation of groundwater quality in a part of Guntur district, Andhra Pradesh, India. Env. Geol., 49:413–429.
- WHO. 1996. The world health report: 1996: Fighting disease, fostering development/report of the Director-General. World Health Organization, Geneva.
- Sadashivaiah, C.R.R.C., C.R. Ramakrishnaiah and R. Gurrala. 2008. Hydrochemical analysis and evaluation of groundwater quality in Tumkur taluk, Karnataka state, India. Int. j. env. res. public health.5 (3): 158-164.
- Ragunath, H.M. 1987. Groundwater. Wiley Eastern Ltd., New Delhi.
- Wilcox, L.V. 1955. Classification and use of irrigation water. US Department of Agriculture, Circular 969, Washington DC.
- Todd, D.K. 1980. Groundwater hydrology (2nd edn). John Wiley and Sons, New York.
- Richards, L.A. 1954. Diagnosis and improvement of saline alkali soils. Agriculture Handbook 60, US Department of Agriculture, Washington DC.
- Karnath, K.R. 1989. Quality of groundwater assessment, development and management. Tata McGraw-Hill, New Delhi. pp 217–275
- Mohan, R., et al. 2000. Hydrochemistry and quality assessment of groundwater in Naini industrial area, Allahabad district, Uttar Pradesh. J. Geol. Soc. India. 55:77–89.
- Doneen, L.D. 1964. Notes on water quality in agriculture. Water Science and Engineering Paper 4001, Department of Water Sciences and Engineering, University of California, California.
- Domenico, P.A. and F.W. Schwartz. 1990. Physical and chemical hydrogeology. Wiley, New York. pp 410–420.
- Sundaray, S.K., B.B. Nayaki and D. Bhatta. 2009. Environmental studies on river water quality with reference to suitability for agricultural purposes: Mahanadi river estuarine system, India-a case study. Env. Monit. Assess., 155: 227–243.