IJEP 42(6): 764-768 : Vol. 42 Issue. 6 (June 2022)
1. University of Kolkata, Department of Environmental Science, Kolkata – 700 073, West Bengal, India
2. Aliah University, Department of Civil Engineering, Kolkata – 700 156, West Bengal, India
Air pollution, a silent killer ravaging across big metropolitans can easily affect the susceptible population of certain ages very rapidly than the rest because of the level of exposure to various categories of pollutants. Of this section, the traffic police occupy the most vulnerable sect to be continuously exposed to vulnerable concentrations of air pollutants; majority of whom are above permissible limits. The consequences of heavy exposure can be seen in various anatomical systems of the body of the person. This rostrum is aimed at the analysis of the upshot of different pollutants on the health of individuals presented in line of duty in traffic. The study was concluded with the utilization of medical tests and questionnaires. After analysis of the report, it was found that both the populations are moderately to severely affected by air pollution. Small sample size has hindered procuring any further conclusions on the health status of older generation population (40-60 years old age group).
Air pollution, Health study, Respiratory disorders, Traffic guards, Age intervals
- Spiroska, J., A. Rahman and S. Pal. 2011. Air pollution in Kolkata: An analysis of current status and interrelation between different factors. SEEU Review. 8(1):182-214.
- Kazimuddin, A. and I. Banerjee. 2000. Fighting for air. Down to Earth. July 31.
- Basu, J. 2015. Suffocating Kolkata. Down to Earth. July 4.
- Ghose, M.K. 2009. Air pollution in the city of Kolkata: Health effects due to chronic exposure. Env. Quality Manage., 19(2):53-70.
- Saxon, A. and D. Diaz-Sanchez. 2005. Air pollution and allergy: You are what you breathe. Nature Immunol., 6(3):223-226.
- Mate, T., et al. 2010. Short-term effect of fine particulate matter (PM2.5) on daily mortality due to diseases of the circulatory system in Madrid (Spain). Sci. Total Env., 408(23):5750-5757.
- Kampa, M. and E. Castanas. 2008. Human health effects of air pollution. Env. Poll., 151(2):362-367.
- Bernstein, J.A., et al. 2004. Health effects of air pollution. J. Allergy Clinical Immunol., 114(5):1116-1123.
- Laumbach, R.J. and H.M. Kipen. 2012. Respiratory health effects of air pollution: Update on biomass smoke and traffic pollution. J. Allergy Clinical Immunol., 129(1):3-11.
- O’ Brien, E., et al. 1993. The British Hypertension Society protocol for the evaluation of blood pressure measuring devices. J. Hypertens., 11 (suppl 2): S43-S62.
- Enright, P.L., et al. 2000. Quality of spirometry test performance in children and adolescents: Experience in a large fields study. Chest. 118(3):665-671.
- Vijayasekaram, D., et al. 2003. Spirometry test. Indian Pediatrics. 40:626-632.
- Gupta, S.K., et al. 2007. A multicentric case-control study on the impact of air pollution on eyes in a metropolitan city of India. Indian J. Occup. Env. Medicine. 11(1):37-40.
- Chang, C.J., et al. 2012. Relationship between air pollution and outpatient visits for non-specific conjuctivitis. Investigative Ophthamol. Visual Sci., 53(1):429-433.
- Genc, S., et al. 2012. An adverse effects of air pollution on the nervous system. J. Toxicol. DOI: 10.1155/2012/782462.
- Godish, T. 2017. Indoor air pollution control. CRC Press.
- Lemos, M., et al. 1994. Quantitative pathology of nasal passages in rats exposed to urban levels of air pollution. Env. Res., 66(1):87-95.
- Khanna, S. and A. Gharpure. 2012. Correlation of increased sinusitis and urban air pollution. Indian J. Sci. Res. Tech., 1:14-17.
- Brauer, M., et al. 2002. Air pollution from traffic and the development of respiratory infections and asthmatic and allergic symptoms in children. American J. Respiratory Critical Care Medicine. 166(8): 1092-1098.
- Jalaudin, B., I. O’ Toole and S.R. Leeder. 2004. Acute effects of urban ambient air pollution on respiratory symptoms, asthma medication use and doctor visits for asthma in a cohort of Australian children. Env. Res., 95(1):32-42.