IJEP 42(8): 928-935 : Vol. 42 Issue. 8 (August 2022)
1. Remote Sensing Applications Centre (RSAC-UP), School of Geoinformatics, Lucknow – 226 021, Uttar Pradesh, India
2. Babasaheb Bhimrao Ambedkar University, School of Earth and Environmental Sciences (SEES), Lucknow – 226 025, Uttar Pradesh, India
3. Remote Sensing Applications Centre (RSAC-UP), Geospatial Data Division, Lucknow – 226 021, Uttar Pradesh, India
Floods occur annually with varying severity in the Ghaghara river catchments. This problem has occurred over long period of time, though the flood intensity has worsened in recent years. This study evaluates the flooding behaviour of Ghaghara river in recent years in the state of Uttar Pradesh, India. It also discusses the unsupervised methodology used to find flood inundated areas due to heavy rainfall events during monsoon season along the river catchments. Due to increasing extreme events including heavy rainfall during monsoon and melting of the ice from glaciers induced by increasing temperature, there has been increase in flooding intensity and extent of inundation along the catchment districts of Ghaghara river. Using multi-temporal SAR DATA from sentinel and optical data from landsat data, this study maps the flood inundated areas with higher accuracy. The obtained areas can be analyzed and district-wise zonal statistics can be made to assess the impact of annual floods which will further help minimize the impacts of floods along the districts falling under the basin.
Flood, Ghaghara river, SAR data, Optical data, Flood impact
- EMDAT. 2020. OFDA/CRED international disaster database. Universite Catholique de Louvain, Brassels, Belgium. Available at : https://www.emdat.be.
- Du, W., et al. 2010. Health impacts of floods. Prehospital Disaster Medicine. 25:265-272.
- Sinha, A.K., et al. 2008. National disaster management guidelines, management of floods. National Disaster Management Authority, Government of India. Available at: https://ndma.gov.in/sites/default/files/PDF/Guidelines/ flood.pdf.
- Singh, D. and A. Awasthi. 2011. Natural hazards in the Ghaghara river area, Ganga plain India. Natural Hazards. 57:213-225.
- Flood report. 2019. Flood Management Information Centre, Irrigation and Water Resource Department. Available at : www.fmisup.in/Floodbook/2019/index.htmL.
- Tanguy, M., et al. 2017. River flood mapping in urban areas combining Radarsat-2 data and flood return period data. Remote Sens. Env., 198:442-459.
- Bhatt, C.M. and G.S. Rao. 2016. Ganga floods of 2010 in Uttar Pradesh, North India : A perspective analysis using satellite remote sensing data. Geomatics Natural Hazards Risk. 7(2).747-763.
- Sanyal, J. and X.X. Lu. 2004. Application of remote sensing in flood management with special reference to monsoon Asia : A review. Natural Hazards. 33:283-301.
- Vitousek, S., et al. 2017. Doubling of coastal flooding frequency within decades due to sea-level rise. Sci. Reports. 7:1399.
- Karegar, M.A., et al. 2017. Nuisance flooding and relative sea-level rise: The importance of present day land motion. Sci. Reports. 7:1197.
- Dahl, K.A., et al. 2017. Sea level rise drives increased tidal flooding frequency at tide gauges along the U.S. East and Gulf coasts: Projections for 2030 and 2045. PLos One. 12(2):e170949.
- Kamal, V., et al. 2017. Flood frequency analysis of Ganga river at Haridwar and Garhmukteshwar. Appl. Water Sci., 7:1979-1986.
- Makert, K.N., et al. 2018. On the merging of optical and SAR satellite imagery for surface water mapping applications. Results Physics. 7:11197.
- Merwade, V., et al. 2008. Uncertainty in flood inundation mapping: Current issues and future directions. J. Hydrol. Eng., 13:608-620.
- Bales, J. and C. Wagner. 2009. Sources of uncertainty in flood inundation maps. J. Flood Risk Manage., 2:139-147.
- Hammond, M.J., et al. 2015. Urban flood impact assessment: A state-of-the-art review. Urban Water J., 12(1):14-29.
- Andy. 2016. Difference between optical and radar satellite data. Pixalytics Ltd. Available at: https://www. pixalytics.com/optical-vs-radar/.
- Huang, C., et al. 2018. Detecting, extracting and monitoring surface water from space using optical sensors: A review. Reviews Geophysics. 56:333-360.
- Flood bulletin. 2019. Irrigation and Water Resource Department. Available at: http://idup.gov.in/en/article daily-flood-bulletin-2019.
- Anusha, N. and B. Bharati. 2020. Flood detection and flood mapping using multi-temporal synthetic aperture radar and optical data. Egyptian J. Remote Sens. Space Sci., 23(2):207-219.