IJEP 42(9): 1051-1060 : Vol. 42 Issue. 9 (September 2022)
Little Flower College, Department of Botany, Guruvayur, Thrissur – 680 103, Kerala, India
Air pollution is major environmental issue facing around the world. Covid-19 the pandemic which smashed all the socio-economic development of the countries also have an impact on human activities in all fields. The drastic reduction in transportation due to lockdown to control the spread of virus reduced the emission of toxic pollutants from vehicles. The air quality analysis studies indicated an increase in quality in post-covid lockdown period. Plants are always exposed to air pollution and they cope with increasing air pollution in various ways. Air pollution tolerance analyses were always performed to assess the tolerance and susceptibility of plants to air pollution. Large scale planting of tolerant plants in urban areas for creating green belts and reducing air pollution is a common practice. In the present scenario a comparative evaluation of air pollution tolerance index of plant was performed by comparing the tolerance index in pre and post-covid lockdown period. A reduction in tolerance index can be significantly correlated with reduction in air pollution after the lockdown period.
Air pollution tolerance index, Pre and Post-Covid 19 lockdown period, Ascorbic acid content, Linear regression
- Ashmore, M. 2013. Air pollution. In Encylopedia of biodiversity (2nd edn). pp 136-147.
- Fino, A. 2019. Air quality legislation. In Encyclopedia of environmental health (2nd edn). Elsevier Inc., DOI:10.1016/B978-0-12-409548-9.11045-0.
- Hanst, P.L. 1971. Mechanism of peroxyacetyl ni trate formation. J. Air Poll. Cont. Assoc., 21(5): 269-271.
- WHO. 2016. Ambient air pollution : A global assessment of exposure and burden of disease. World Health Organization, Geneva.
- Conti, M.E. and G. Cecchetti. 2001. Biological monitoring lichens as bioindicators of air pollution assessment-A review. Env. Poll., 263:2019-2021.
- Gonze, M.A. and M.M. Sy. 2016. Interception of wet deposited atmospheric pollutants by herbaceous vegetation : Data review and modelling. Sci. Total Env., 565:49.
- Loppi, S. and S.A. Pirintsos. 2003. Epiphytic lichens as sentinels for heavy metal pollution at forest ecosystems (Central Italy). Env. Poll., 121(3):327-332.
- Margitai, Z., et al. 2017. Inorganic chemical composition of dust deposited on Oleander (Nerium oleander L.) leaves. Air Quality Atmos. Health. 10(3): 339-347.
- Singore, P.U. and M.S. Talpade. 2013. Physiological responses of some plant species as a bio-indicator of roadside automobile pollution stress using the air pollution tolerance index approach. Int. J. Plant Res., 3 (2):179-220.
- Tessier, L. and J.L. Boisvert. 1999. Performance of terrestrial bryophytes as biomonitors of atmospheric pollution : A review. Toxicol. Env. Chem., 68(1-2):179-220.
- Simon, E., et al. 2016. Influence of post industry and urbanization on element concentrations in deposited dust and tree leaf tissue. Urban Forestry Urban Greening. 20:12-19.
- Sekabira, K., et al. 2011. Application of alage in biomonitoring and phytoextraction of heavy metals contamination in urban stream water. Int. J. Env. Sci. Tech., 8(1):115-128.
- Shannigrahi, A.S., T. Fukushima and R.C. Sharma. 2004. Anticipated air pollution tolerance of some plant species considered for green belt development in and around and industrial/urban area in India : An overview. Int. J. Env. Studies. 61(2):125-137.
- Weinstein, L.H. and D.C. Mccune. 2016. Implications of air pollution for plant life. American Philosophical Society. Proceedings, pp 18-21.
- Mudd, J.B. and T.T. Kozlowski. 2020. Responses of plants to air pollution. Academic Press Inc., A subsidiary of Brace Javanovich Publishers.
- Wali, B., Mahmooduzzfar and Muhammad Iqbal. 2004. Plant growth, stomatal response, pigments and photosynthesis of Althea officinalis as affected by SO2stress. Indian J. Plant Physiol., 9(3):224-233.
- Steubing, L., et al. 1989. Effects of SO2, NO2and O3on population development and morphological and physiological parameters of native hurb layer species in a beech forest. Env. Poll., 58(4):281-302.
- Varshney, S.R.K. and C.K. Varshney. 1984. Effects of SO2on ascorbic acid in crop plants. Env. Poll., Series A : Ecol. Biol., 35(4):285-290.
- Kaur, M. and A. K. Nagpal. 2017. Evaluation of air pollution tolerance index and anticipated performance index of plants and their application in development of green space along the urban areas. Env. Sci. Poll. Res., 24(23):18881-18895.
- Flowers, M.D., et al. 2007. Photosynthesis, chlorophyll fluorescence and yield of snap bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.) genotypes differing in sensitivity of ozone. Env. Exp. Botany. 61(2):190-198.
- Singh, S.K., et al. 1991. Air pollution tolerance index of plant. J. Env. Manage., 32(1):45-55.
- Kuddus, M., R. kumari and P.W. Ramteke. 2011. Studies on air pollution tolerance of selected plants in Allahabad city, India. E3 J. Env. Res. Manage., 2(3):42-46.
- Choudhary, P. and D. Banerjee. 2009. Biomonitoring of air quality in the industrial town of Asansol using the air pollution tolerance index approach. Res. J. Chem. Env., 13(1):46-51.
- Tripathi, A., et al. 2009. Assessment of air pollution tolerance index of some trees in Moradabad city, India. J. Env. Biol., 30(4):545-550.
- Zhang, B., D. Cao and S. Zhu. 2020. Use of plants to clean polluted air : A potentially effective and low-cost phytoremediation technology. Bioresour., 15(3):4650-4654.
- Liu, Y. J. and H. Ding. 2008. Variation in air pollution tolerance index of plants near a steel factory : Implications for landscape-plant species selection for industrial areas. WSEAS Trans. Env. Develop., 4(1):24-32.
- Srivastava, S., et al. 2020. 21-day lockdown in India dramatically reduced air pollution indices in Lucknow and New Delhi, India. Bull. Env. Contam. Toxicol., 105(1):9-17.
- Gautam, S. 2020. The influence of Covid-19 on air quality in India : A boon or inutile. Bull. Env. Contam. Toxicol., 104(6):724-726.
- Arnon, D.I. 1949. Copper enzymes in isolated chloroplasts poly-phenoloxidase in Beta vulgaris. Plant physiol., 24(1):1-15.
- Rajput, R.D. and R.P. Patil. 2017. The comparative study on sepctrophotomeric analysis of chlorophyll and carotenoids pigments from non-leguminous fodder crops. Int. J. Innovatice Sci. Eng. Tech., 4(7):140-148.
- Lohe, R.N., et al. 2015. A comparative study for air pollution tolerance index of some terrestrial plant species. Global J. Env. Sci. Manage., 1(4):315-
- Dutheil, F., J.S. Baker and V. Navel. 2020. Covid-19 as a factor influencing air pollution? Env. Poll., 263:2019-2021.
- Sahoo, P.K., et al. 2021. Pre-to-post-lockdown impact on air quality and the role of environmental factors in spreading the Covid-19-A study from a worst-hit state of India. Int. J. Biometeorol., 65(2):205-222.
- Pathak, V., B.D. Tripathi and V.K. Mishra. 2011. Evaluation of anticipated performance index of some tree species for green belt development to mitigate traffic generated noise. Urban Forestry Urban Greening. 10(1):61-66.
- Gallie, D.R. 2012. The role of L-ascorbic recycling in responding to environmental stress and in promoting plant growth. J. Exp. Botany. 63(2):695-709.
- Keller, T. and H. Schwager. 1977. Air pollution and ascorbic acid. European J. Forest Pathol., 7(6):338-350.
- Upadhyaya, C.P., et al. 2011. Transgenic potato overproducing L-ascorbic and resisted an increase in methylglyoxal under salinity stress via man-itaining higher reduced glutathione level and glyoxalase enzyme activity. Biotech. Letters. 33(11): 2297-2307.
- Raza, S.H., M.S.R. Murthy and A. Ahmed. 1988. Air pollution tolerance index of certain plants of Nacharam industrial area, Hyderabad, India. Ind. J. Bot., 11(1):91-95.
- Agbaire, P.O. and E. Esiefarienrhe. 2010. Air pollution tolerance indices (APTI) of some plants around Otorogun gas plant in Delta state, Nigeria. J. Appl. Sci. Env. Manage., 13(1):11-14.
- Alten, L.H., et al. 1987. Response of vegetation to rising carbon dioxide photosynthesis, biomass and seed yield of soyabean. Global Biogeochem. Cycles. 1(1):1-14.
- Noor, M.J., et al. 2015. Estimation of anticipated performance index and air pollution tolerance index and of vegetation around the marble industrial areas of Potwar region: Bio indicators of plant pollution response. Env. Geochem. Health. 37(3):441-455.
- Islam, M. N., et al. 2012. Pollution attenuation by roadside greenbelt in and around urban areas. Urban Forestry Urban Greening. 11(4):460-464.
- Jim, C.Y. and W.Y. Chem. 2008. Assessing the ecosystem service of air pollutant removal by urban trees in Guagzhou (China). J. Env. Manage., 88(4):665-676.
- Bora, M. and N. Joshi. 2014. A study on variation in biochemical aspects of different tree species with tolerance and performance index. Biol., 9(1):59-63.