IJEP 43(10): 899-904 : Vol. 43 Issue. 10 (October 2023)
1. Vel Tech High Tech Dr Rangarajan Dr Sakunthala Engineering College, Department of Civil Engineering, Chennai – 600 062, Tamil Nadu, India
2. Vel Tech High Tech Dr Rangarajan Dr Sakunthala Engineering College, Department of Structural Engineering, Chennai – 600 062, Tamil Nadu, India
Corrosion of steel bars leads to the early failure of reinforced concrete structures and hence the durability and service life of structure is reduced. So, it is essential to find suitable materials to reduce and prevent corrosion in reinforced concrete structures. Based on the literature, this study focused on analyzing the corrosion inhibiting capacity of neem leaf powder (Azadirachta indica) on the steel reinforcement and strength performance of the neem powder concrete. To determine the corrosion behaviour of neem leaf powder, four steel rod samples were weighed and dipped in four different solutions. It was found that the rod sample which was dipped into neem leaf powder solution showed least weight loss (8%). To check the stability of the structural elements, cube, cylindrical and beam specimens were cast and tested with various proportions of neem leaf powder. The results of tests reveal that the neem leaf powder concrete has higher strength at its optimum dosages of 0.4%, 0.2% and 0.3% for compressive strength, split tensile strength and flexural strength, respectively. Therefore, neem leaf powder can be used as a corrosion inhibitor in reinforced concrete beam elements as sustainable construction material to increase the service life of structures.
Compressive strength, Corrosion inhibitor, Corrosion of steel, Inhibiting capacity, Neem leaf powder, Rate of corrosion
- Benjamin Valdez-Salas, Ramiro, et al. 2021. Azadirachta indicaleaf extract as green corrosion inhibitor for reinforced concrete structures: Corrosion effectiveness against commercial corrosion inhibitors and concrete integrity. Mater., 14(12): 3326.
- Stefania Marzorathi, Luisella Verotta and P. Trasatti Stefano. 2019. Green corrosion inhibitors from natural sources and biomass wastes. Molecules. 24(1):48.
- Okewale, Akindele and Felix Omoruwuo. 2018. Neem leaf extract as a corrosion inhibitor on mild steel in acidic solution. Int. J. Eng. Res. Africa. 35:208-220.
- Ali, Ammar, et al. 2017. Modelling and optimization of structural steel corrosion inhibition using barely grass extract as green inhibitor. American J. Env. Eng., 7(4):73-81.
- Wenjunzhu, A., et al. 2017. Influence of corrosion degree and corrosion morphology on the ductility. Construction Building Mater., 148 (11): 297-306.
- Akshastha, G.M., et al. 2015. Effect of corrosion inhibitors in reinforced concrete. Int. J. Innov. Res. Sci. Eng. Tech., 4 (8): 6794-6801.
- Sharma, S.K., A. Peter and I.B. Obot. 2015. Potential of Azadirachta indicaas green corrosion inhibitor against mild steel, aluminum and tin: A review. J. Anal. Sci. Tech., DOI:10.1186/s40543-015-0067-0.
- Rajendran, S., et al. 2011. Corrosion behaviour of mild steel in stimulated concrete pore solution. Zastita Materijala. 52 (1): 35-41.
- Zaafarany, I. A. 2013. Corrosion inhibition of mild steel in hydrochloric acid solution using cationic surfactant olyel-amido derivatives. Int. J. Electrochem. Sci., 8 (7): 9531-9542.
- Rathi, V.R., S.D. Nirmal and S.J. Kokate. 2010. Corrosion study of mild steel, tor steel and CRS steel by the weight loss method. J. Chem. Pharmaceutical Res., 2 (2):97-100.
- Zacharopoulou, A., E. Zachaopoulou and G. Batis. 2014. Protection system for reinforced concrete with corrosion inhibitors. Open J. Metal Sci. Res., 4:86-92.
- Annamalai, M.G.L., et al. 2015. Effect of partial replacement of cement with neem gum on the strength characteristics of high performance concrete. Int. J. Che. Tech. Res., 8(1): 178-183.
- Musa, N. M. 2013. Influence of neem seed husk on the tensile strength of the concrete. American J. Eng. Res., 2 (12):171-174.
- Abdulrahman, A. S. and Mohammad Ismail. 2012. Evaluation of corrosion inhibiting admixtures for steel reinforcement in concrete. Int. J. Physical Sci., 7(1): 139-143.
- Reilly, M.O., et al. 2013. Effect of corrosion inhibitors on concrete pore solution composition and corrosion resistance. ACI Mater. J., 110 (5): 577-586.