IJEP 43(3): 277-283 : Vol. 43 Issue. 3 (March 2023)
1. Pranveer Singh Institute of Technology, Department of Basic Science and Humanities, Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh – 209 305, India
2. Uttaranchal University, Department of Chemistry, School of Applied and Life Sciences, Dehradun, Uttarakhand – 248 007, India
Present study deals with the assessment of physico-chemical parameters of groundwater samples of jajmau area of Kanpur city. Statistical analysis has also been carried out with the help of correlation coefficient (r) between parameters of summer and monsoon to evaluate their significance. The observed values of various physico-chemical parameters of groundwater samples were compared with water quality standards. Out of 78 correlation coefficient, the value of r between total hardness and total alkalinity was found to be 0.77; correlation of TDS with conductivity (1.0) was found to be highly significant (0.7<r<1). Correlation values lie between 0.31-0.5 where 32 parameters were found to be negatively correlated while rest 46 are positively correlated. Total hardness, conductivity, pH, total alkalinity values were found to be higher when compared with water quality standards. Appreciable significant positive correlation holds for turbidity, total hardness, phosphate and chromium whereas negative correlation was observed for NO3, SO4, F and Cr.
Groundwater, correlation coefficient, physico-chemical analysis, correlation matrix, pollutants
- Tewari, A., A. Dubey and M.K. Chaturvedi. 2012. Assessment of exposure, intake and toxicity of fluoride from groundwater sources. Rasayan J. Chem., 5 (2): 199-202.
- Tewari A., A. Dubey and D. Sharma. 2020. Electro-coagulation reactor and process for defluoridation of drinking water. Indian J. Env. Prot. 40(2):168-173.
- Mahapatra, S.S., et al. 2012. Prediction of water quality using principal component analysis. Water Qual. Expo. Health. 4: 93-104.
- Sahu, P., et al. 2010. Physico-chemical analysis of Mula Mutha river, Pune. Civil Eng. Urban Planning. Int. J., 2(2):37-48.
- Cabral, J.P.S. 2010. Water microbiology: Bacterial pathogens and water. Int. J. Env. Res. Public Health. 7 (10):3657–3703.
- Gautam, R., J. K. Shrestha and G.K. Shrestha. 2013. Assessment of river water intrusion at the periphery of Bagmati river in Kathmandu valley. Nepal J. Sci. Tech., 14(1): 137–146.
- Khan, F.M., R. Gupta and S. Sekhri. 2021. Superposition learning-based model for prediction of E. coli in groundwater using physico-chemical water quality parameters. Groundwater Sustain. Develop., 13: 100580.
- Thirupathaiah, M., C. Samatha and Sammaiah. 2012. Analysis of water quality using physico-chemical parameters in lower manair reservoir of Karimnagar district, Andhra Pradesh. Int. J. Env. Sci., 3(1):172-180.
- Singh, M.K., D. Jha and J. Jadoun. 2012. Assessment of physico-chemical status of groundwater samples of Dholpur district, Rajasthan, India. Int. J. Chem., 4(4): 96-104.
- Mitharwal, S., R.D. Yadav and R.C. Angasaria. 2009. Water quality analysis in Pilani of Jhunjhunu district (Rajasthan)- The place of Birla’s origin. Rasayan J. Chem., 2(4): 920-923.
- Saxena, U. and S. Saxena. 2015. Statistical assessment of groundwater quality using physicochemical parameters in Bassi tehsil of Jaipur district, Rajasthan, India. Global J. Sci. Frontier Res., 13(3):23-31.
- Udhayakumar, R., et al. 2016. Assessment of physico-chemical characteristics of water in Tamil nadu. Ecotoxicol. Env. Safety. 134(2):474–477.
- Shrestha, A. K., et al. 2017. Variation of electrical conductivity of the different sources of water with temperature and concentration of electrolyte solution NaCl. Int. J. Recent Res. Review. 10(3): 24–26.
- Sharma, S., et al. 2005. Water quality in the central Himalaya.Current Sci., 89(5): 774–786.
- Al-hadithi, M. 2012. Application of water quality index to assess suitability of groundwater quality for drinking purposes in Ratmao–Pathri Rao watershed, Haridwar district, India. American J. Sci. Ind. Res., 3(6): 396–402.
- APHA. 2012. Standard methods for the examination of water and wastewater (20th edn). American Public Health Association, Washington DC, USA.
- WHO. 2011. Guidelines for drinking-water quality. (4th edn). World Health Organization, Geneva.
- IS 10500. 2012. Drinking water specification. Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi.
- ICMR. 1975. Manual of standards of quality for drinking water supplies. Indian Council of Medical Research, New Delhi.
- Venkatachalam, M. and A. Jebanesan. 1998. Correlation among water quality parameters for ground water in Chidambaram town. Indian J. Env. Prot., 18(10): 734-738.
- Dash, J., P.C. Dash and H.K. Patra. 2006. A correlation and regression study on the groundwater quality in rural areas around Angul-Talcher industrial zone. Indian J. Env. Prot., 26(6): 550-558.
- Gajendran and P. Thamarai. 2008. Study on statistical relationship between groundwater quality parameters in Nambiyar river basin, Tamil Nadu, India. Poll. Res., 27(4): 679-683.
- Singh, K.P., et al. 2004. Multivariate statistical techniques for the evaluation of spatial and temporal variations in water quality of Gomti river (India)—A case study. Water Res., 38(18):3980–3992.
- Nemade, P.N. and V.S. Shrivastav. 1997. Correlation and regression analysis among the COD and BOD of industrial effluent. Poll. Res., 23(1): 187-188.
- Rao, S. 2006. Seasonal variation of groundwater quality in a part of Guntur district, Andhra Pradesh. Env. Geol., 49: 413-429.
- Tatawat, K. and C.P.S. Chandel. 2008. Quality of groundwater of Jaipur city, Rajasthan (India) and its suitability for domestic and irrigation purpose. Appl. Ecol. Env. Res., 6(2):79-88.
- Liu, C., K. Lin and Y. Kuo. 2003. Application of factor analysis in the assessment of groundwater quality in a blackfoot disease area in Taiwan. Sci. Total Env., 313: 77–89.
- Trabelsi, R. and K. Zouari. 2019. Coupled geochemical modelling and multivariate statistical analysis approach for the assessment of groundwater quality in irrigated areas: A study from northeastern of Tunisia. Groundwater Sustain. Develop., 8: 413–427.
- Souza, N.A., et al. 2018. Spatial and temporal evaluation of the water quality index and trophic state index of the Curuçá river, Maranhão, Brazil. Ciênia Natura., 40(1): 58–70.
- Mishra, B.K., et al. 2017. Assessment of Bagmati river pollution in Kathmandu valley: Scenario-based modelling and analysis for sustainable urban development. Sustain. Water Quality Ecol., 9 (10): 67–77.
- Thapa, D. and J. Pal. 2011. Physico-chemical parameters of Koshi river at Kushaha area of Koshi Tappu wildlife reserve. Our Nature. 9(1):156–167.
- Mohapatra D., B. Das and V. Chakravortty. 2001. A correlation study on physico-chemical characteristics of groundwater in Paradip areas. Poll. Res., 20(3): 1-406.
- Kumar, R.N., R. Solanki and N.J.I. Kumar. 2011. An assessment of seasonal variation and water quality index of Sabarmati river and Kharicut canal at Ahmedabad, Gujarat. E. J. Env. Agric. Food Chem., 10(5): 2248-2261.
- Kaur, H., et al. 1997. Inter-relations between physico-chemical factors at Harike wetland (Punjab, India). J. Env. Poll., 4(3): 237-240.
- Nair, G.A., A.I. Mohamed and K. Premkumar. 2017. Physico-chemical parameters and correlation coefficients of groundwaters of northeast Libya. Poll. Res., 24 (1):1-6.
- Ude, E.F., et al. 2009. Correlation characteristics of the limnological properties of Ebonyi river Nigeria. Ecol. Env. conser., 15(2): 201-204.
- Kori, B.B. 2019. Correlation study among physico-chemical and biological characteristics of Karanja reservoir. Int. J. Latest Tech. Eng. Manage. Appl. Sci., 8(4): 60-68.