IJEP 43(5): 467-474 : Vol. 43 Issue. 5 (May 2023)
1. University of Technology-Iraq, Baghdad, Iraq
2. University of Technology-Iraq, Energy and Renewable Energies Technology Center, Baghdad, Iraq
River water is considered an important source of surface water. The treatment of river water has become more important because of the low water resources as well as to reduce the risk of pollutants. The advanced treatment system of the river water was performed in this study. The system consists of aeration and double filtration with two types of granular activated carbon (GAC) and sand; study was performed to determine its influence in reducing turbidity, organic matter (COD, TOC) and coliform, faecal coliform. Aeration process was used in this study for water treatment and then filtrate was passed through a filter containing granular activated carbon (GAC) and sand together, having different particle sizes. System efficiency was evaluated at different time intervals by monitoring the values of COD, TOC, turbidity and coliform and faecal coliform. The samples were analyzed before and after treatment. The treatment can remove COD, TOC, turbidity and coliform, faecal coliform by 95, 90, 94 and 78%, respectively. After two week study, it was found that aeration and then filtration could be significantly effective in removing studied parameters.
River water treatment, Total organic carbon, Chemical oxygen demand, Total coliform
- Aenab, A.M., S.K. Singh and A.A.M. Al-Rubaye. 2012c. Evaluation of Tigris river by water quality index analysis using C++ programme. J. Water Resour. Prot., 4:523-527. DOI: 10.4236/jwarp. 2012.47061, 2012.
- Zhu, Y., Z. Chen and Z. Asif. 2021. Identification of point source emission in river pollution incidents based on Bayesian inference and genetic algorithm: Inverse modelling, sensitivity and uncertainty analysis. Env. Poll., 285:117497.
- Aenab, A.M. and S.K. Singh. 2012. Environmental assessment of infrastructure projects of water sector in Baghdad, Iraq. J. Env. Prot., 3(1):1-10.
- Aenab, A.M. and S.K. Singh. 2012. Critical assessment of environmental quality of Baghdad, Iraq. J. Env. Eng., 138(5):601-606.
- Allaa, M.A. and S.K. Singh. 2012. Evaluation of drinking water pollution and health effects in Baghdad, Iraq. J. Env. Prot., 3(6): 533-537.
- Gustavsson, L. and M. Engwall. 2012. Treatment of sludge containing nitro-aromatic compounds in reed-bed mesocosms– Water, BOD, carbon and nutrient removal. Waste Manage., 32(1):104-109.
- Nadayil, J., et al. 2015. A study on effect of aeration on domestic wastewater. Int. J. Interdisciplinary Res. Innovations. 3(2):10-15.
- Jayanthi, M., et al. 2021. Assessment of standard aeration efficiency of different aerators and its relation to the overall economics in shrimp culture. Aquacultural Eng., 92:102142.
- Ha, B.M., D.T.G. Huong and L.T.H. Xuyen. 2016. Removal of inorganic nutrient and organic carbon from wastewater of Binh Dien market using the green alga Chlorella sp. GeoSci. Eng., LXII(4): 27-31.
- Bonarens, M., et al. 2021. Towards a polydisperse packed bed filtration model as a surrogate model for particulate filters. J. Aerosol Sci., 160:105900.
- Al-Rawi, S.M. 2009. Introducing sand filter capping for turbidity removal for potable water treatment plants of Mosul, Iraq. Int. J. Water Resour. Env. Eng., 1(1):11-19.
- Utari, A.W. and H. Herdiansyah. 2020. Using filtration as a technology to remove pollutants in domestic wastewater. IOP Conf. Series Mater. Sci. Eng., 725(1):012025.
- Pennino, M.J., et al. 2022. Wildfires can increase regulated nitrate, arsenic and disinfection byproduct violations and concentrations in public drinking water supplies. Sci. Total Env., 804:149890.
- Moreira, V.R., et al. 2021. Dead-end ultrafiltration as a cost-effective strategy for improving arsenic removal from high turbidity waters in conventional drinking water facilities. Chem. Eng. J., 417: 128132.
- Thiel, P., et al. 2006. Activated carbon vs anthracite as primary dual media filters- A pilot plant study. In 69th Annual water industry engineers and operators’ conference. Bendigo. Proceedings, pp 8-14.
- Xiao, G.H., et al. 2018. Effect of filter layer thickness on the filtration characteristics of dual layer granular beds. Powder Tech., 335:344-353.
- Noredinvand, B.K., A. Takdastan and R.J. Yengejeh. 2016. Removal of organic matter from drinking water by single and dual media filtration: A comparative pilot study. Desalination Water Treat., 57(44):20792-20799.
- Torrens, A., et al. 2009. Impact of design and operation variables on the performance of vertical-flow constructed wetlands and intermittent sand filters treating pond effluent. Water Res., 43(7): 1851-1858.
- Feng, S., et al. 2012. Ammonium removal pathways and microbial community in GAC-sand dual media filter in drinking water treatment. J. Env. Sci., 24(9):1587-1593.
- Barrera, L.A., et al. 2019. TiO2-carbon nanoporous composites prepared via ZnO nanoparticle-templated carbonization of glucose adsorb and photodegrade organic pollutants in water. J. Water Process Eng., 28:331-338.
- Song, S., et al. 2020. Particle-scale modelling of fluid velocity distribution near the particles surface in sand filtration. Water Res., 177:115758.
- Zhang, J., et al. 2021. Feasibility of partial-denitrification/anammox for pharmaceutical wastewater treatment in a hybrid biofilm reactor. Water Res., 208:117856.
- Farooq, S.H., et al. 1994. Tertiary treatment of sewage effluent via pilot scale slow sand filtration. Env. Tech., 15(1):15-28.
- Crittenden, J.C., et al. 2012. MWH’s water treatment: Principles and design. John Wiley and Sons.
- Bolto, B., D. Dixon and R. Eldridge. 2004. Ion exchange for the removal of natural organic matter. Reactive Functional Polymers. 60:171-182.
- Touil, Y., et al. 2014. Biological filtration on sand of dunes– Filters fouling. Energy Procedia. 50:471-478.
- Van Haute, S., M. Uyttendaele and I. Sampers. 2015. Coagulation of turbidity and organic matter from leafy-vegetable wash-water using chitosan to improve water disinfectant stability. LWT Food Sci. Tech., 64(1):337-343.
- Schijven, J.F., et al. 2013. A mathematical model for removal of human pathogenic viruses and bacteria by slow sand filtration under variable operational conditions. Water Res., 47(7):2592-2602.
- Coimbra, C.E., et al. 2013. The first national survey of indigenous people’s health and nutrition in Brazil: Rationale, methodology and overview of results. BMC Public Health. 13(1):1-19.
- Vaillant, S., M.F. Pouet and O. Thomas. 2002. Basic handling of UV spectra for urban water quality monitoring. Urban Water. 4(3):273-281.
- Doležal, D. and T. Tomiæ. 2003. Validation procedures for determination of total organic carbon in water. XVII IMEKO World congress metrology in the 3rd millennium. Dubrovnik, Croatia.
- Li, C.W., M.M. Benjamin and G.V. Korshin. 2000. Use of UV spectroscopy to characterize the reaction between NOM and free chlorine. Env. Sci. Tech., 34(12):2570-2575.
- Le, M.T. 2018. An assessment of the potential for the development of the shale gas industry in countries outside of North America. Heliyon. 4(2): e00516.
- Hussein, H.A. 2010. Dependable discharges of the upper and middle diyala basins. J. Eng., 16(2):4960-4969.
- UN-ESCWA and B.G.R. 2013. Inventory of shared water resources in Western Asia, Beirut. United Nations economic and social commission for western Asia; Federal Institute for Geosciences and Natural Resources (BGR).
- Rizk, Z.S. 2008. Water resources and hydrometeorology of the arab region. Groundwater. 46(5): 663-663.
- Al-Faraj, F.A. and M. Scholz. 2014. Incorporation of the flow duration curve method within digital filtering algorithms to estimate the base flow contribution to total runoff. Water Resour. Manage., 28(15):5477-5489.
- Young, J.C., L.S. Clesceri and S.M. Kamhawy. 2005. Changes in the biochemical oxygen demand procedure. In Standard methods for the examination of water and wastewater (21st edn). Water Env. Res., 77(4):404-410.
- Kuuskraa, V., S.H. Stevens and K.D. Moodhe. 2013. Technically recoverable shale oil and shale gas resources: An assessment of 137 shale formations in 41 countries outside the United States. US Energy Information Administration, US Department of Energy.
- Radhi, A.A. and M. Borghei. 2017. Evaluation of TOC, COD, coliform, faecal coliform removal efficiency use by sand filter for ‘Sorkheh Hesar canal water’. Int. J. Computation Appl. Sci., 3(1):159-163.
- Hethnawi, A., et al. 2021. Simultaneous removal of silica and TOC from steam assisted gravity drainage (SAGD) produced water using iron-hydroxide-coated walnut shell filter media. J. Water Process Eng., 43:102016.
- Dalahmeh, S.S., et al. 2012. Efficiency of bark, activated charcoal, foam and sand filters in reducing pollutants from greywater. Water Air Soil Poll., 223(7):3657-3671.
- Lea, M. 2010. Bioremediation of turbid surface water using seed extract from Moringa oleifera Lam. (drumstick) tree. Curr. Protocols Microbiol., 16:1G.2.1-1G.2.14
- Khiari, Z., et al. 2020. Integration of biochar filtration into aquaponics: Effects on particle size distribution and turbidity removal. Agric. Water Manage., 229:105874.
- Mameda, N., H. Park and K.H. Choo. 2018. Electrochemical filtration process for simultaneous removal of refractory organic and particulate contaminants from wastewater effluents. Water Res., 144:699-708.
- Prajapati, B., et al. 2019. Grey water treatment in stacked multi-layer reactors with passive aeration and particle trapping. Water Res., 161:181-190.
- Jawaduddin, M., et al. 2019. Synthetic grey water treatment through FeCl3-activated carbon obtained from cotton stalks and river sand. Civil Eng. J., 5(2):340-348.