IJEP 43(8): 763-768 : Vol. 43 Issue. 8 (August 2023)
Divyaman Singh Rathore, Leela Kaur* and Rajaram Choyal
Maharaja Ganga Singh University, Department of Environmental Science, Bikaner, Rajasthan – 334 004, India
The purpose of the study is to investigate heavy metal contamination in industrial wastewater samples collected from four industrial sites in Bikaner city. Heavy metals selected for the study are arsenic (As), manganese (Mn), iron (Fe), cobalt (Co), lead (Pb), cadmium (Cd), copper (Cu), zinc (Zn), nickel (Ni) and chromium (Cr). Samples were collected during August and September 2019. The physico-chemical parameters of wastewater samples were analyzed using standard methods. Analysis of heavy metals was performed by inductively coupled plasma atomic emission spectroscopy. The metals ranged differently as follows: As (0.0735-0.0812 mg/L), Cd (0.0175-0.0197 mg/L), Co (0.0206-0.0233 mg/L), Cu (0.113-0.155 mg/L), Cr (0.055-0.141 mg/L), Fe (1.321-3.041 mg/L), Mn (0.167-0.205 mg/L), Ni (0.167-0.245 mg/L), Pb (0.047-0.106 mg/L) and Zn (0.213-0.365 mg/L). The concentrations of As, Cd, Cr, Fe, Ni and Pb are beyond the recommended limit while Cu, Mn and Zn are within the permissible limit given by BIS, FAO and WHO. The higher concentration of heavy metals suggests proper treatment of wastewater is required.
Heavy metals, Industrial wastewater, Physico-chemical analysis, Bikaner
- Mao, G., et al. 2022. Technology status and trends of industrial wastewater treatment: A patent analysis. Chemosphere. 288: 132483. DOI: 10.1016/j.chemosphere.2021.132483.
- Dutta, D., S. Arya and S. Kumar. 2021. Industrial wastewater treatment: Current trends, bottlenecks and best practices. Chemosphere. 285: 131245. DOI: 10.1016/j.chemosphere.2021.131 245.
- Xia, X., et al. 2021. Microbial Cd (II) and Cr (VI) resistance mechanisms and application in biore-mediation. J. Hazard. Mater., 401: 123685. doi: 10.1016/j.jhazmat.2020.123685.
- Turner, A. 2019. Cadmium pigments in consumer products and their health risks. Sci. Total Env., 657: 1409-1418. DOI:10.1016/j.scitotenv.2018.12. 096.
- Lunk, H.J. 2015. Discovery, properties and applications of chromium and its compounds. Chem. Texts. 1(1):6. doi:10.1007/s40828-015-0007-z.
- Behera, P.R., et al. 2021. Assessment of heavy metals distribution in a coastal environment of Versova coast, Mumbai, India. Indian J. Geo-Mar. Sci., 50(12): 1058-1065.
- Baláž, M., et al. 2020. Synthesis of copper nano-particles from refractory sulfides using a semi-industrial mechanochemical approach. Adv. Powder Tech., 31(2): 782-791. DOI:10.1016/j.apt. 201 9.11.032
- Bhardwaj, V., P. Kumar and G. Singhal. 2014. Toxicity of heavy metals pollutants in textile mills effluents. Int. J. Sci. Eng. Res., 5(7): 664-666.
- Balali-Mood, M., et al. 2021. Toxic mechanisms of five heavy metals: Mercury, lead, chromium, cadmium and arsenic. Front. Pharmacol., 12: 643972. DOI:10.3389/fphar.2021.643972.
- Singh, K.P., et al. 2004. Impact assessment of treated/untreated wastewater toxicants discharged by sewage treatment plants on health, agricultural and environmental quality in the wastewater disposal area. Chemosphere. 55(2): 227-255. DOI: 10.1016/j.chemosphere.2003.10.050.
- Zehra, S.S., et al. 2009. Assessment of heavy metal accumulation and their translocation in plant species. African J. Biotech., 8(12): 2802–2810.
- Doherty, V.F., et al. 2012. Heavy metals in vegetables collected from selected farm and market sites in Lagos, Nigeria. Global Adv. Res. J., 1(6): 137-142.
- Dessie, B.K., et al. 2022. Physico-chemical characterization and heavy metals analysis from industrial discharges in upper Awash river basin, Ethiopia. Toxicol. Rep., 9(1297–1307). DOI: 10.1016/j.toxrep.2022.06.002.
- Dessie, B. K., et al. 2021. Determination and health risk assessment of trace elements in the tap water of two sub-cities of Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Heliyon. 7(5): 1-10. DOI: 10.1016/j.heliyon.2021. e06988
- Kinuthia, G.K., et al. 2020. Levels of heavy metals in wastewater and soil samples from open drainage channels in Nairobi, Kenya: community health implication. Sci. Rep., 10(1): 8434. DOI:10.1038/s41598-020-65359-5.
- Ma, J., et al. 2020. Determination of physico-chemical parameters and levels of heavy metals in food wastewater with environmental effects. Bioinorg. Chem. Appl., 8886093. DOI: 10.1155/2020/8886093.
- Muhammad, M., et al. 2020. Evaluation of physico-chemical parameters and heavy metals of wastewater used for irrigation at Tukuntawa radio station, Kano. Modn. Appl. Mater. Sci., 3(3): 384-387.
- Tariq, M., et al. 2020. Physico-chemical and bacteriological characterization of industrial wastewater being discharged to surface water bodies: Significant threat to environmental pollution and human health. J. Chem., 9067436. DOI: 10. 1155/2020/9067436.
- Haroon, B., et al. 2019. Characterization of heavy metal in soils as affected by long-term irrigation with industrial wastewater. J. Water Reuse Desal., 9(1): 47–56. DOI: 10.2166/wrd.2018.008.
- Asghar, M.Z., et al. 2018. Comparative assessment of physico-chemical parameters of wastewater effluents from different industries in Lahore, Pakistan. Proc. Int. Acad. Ecol. Env. Sci., 8(2): 99-112.
- Shrestha, A.M., S. Neupane and G. Bisht. 2017. An assessment of physico-chemical parameters of selected industrial effluents in Nepal. J. Chem., 3659561. DOI: 10.1155/2017/3659561.
- Osobamiro, M.T. and O.C. Atewolara-Odule. 2015. Determination of physico-chemical parameters and levels of some heavy metals in industrial waste- water. Int. J. Sci. Eng. Res., 6(7): 1910-1918.
- Ramesh, P. and T. Damodhram. 2013. Determination of heavy metals in industrial wastewaters of Tirupati region, Andhra Pradesh. Int. J. Sci. Res., 5: 2452-2455.
- Das, M., et al. 2011. Heavy metals in industrial effluents (tannery and textile) and adjacent rivers of Dhaka city, Bangladesh. Terr. Aquat. Env. Toxicol., 5(1): 8-13.
- Osman, H., et al. 2010. Usage of some agricultural by-products in the removal of some heavy metals from industrial wastewater. J. Phytol., 2(3): 51–62.
- APHA. 2012. Standard methods for the analysis of water and wastewater (18th edn). American Public Health Association, Washington DC.
- WHO. 2006. Guidelines for drinking water quality, (3rd edn). Vol. 1: recommendations. World Health Organization, Geneva.
- BIS. 2012. Indian standard drinking water: Specification (2nd rev). Bureau of Indian Standard, New Delhi.
- FAO. 1999. The state of food and agriculture 1999: Hunger declining, but unevenly. Food and Agriculture Organization, United Nations.