IJEP 43(9): 829-834 : Vol. 43 Issue. 9 (September 2023)
1. Teerthanker Mahaveer University, Department of Chemistry, Moradabad – 244 001, Uttar Pradesh, India
2. K.G.K. (P.G.) College, Department of Chemistry, Moradabad – 244 001, Uttar Pradesh, India
Water is necessary element for the continued existence and sustenance of life on the globe. River water contamination by effluents from manufacturing units has been given a large amount of notice because of their low biodegradability and poisonous effect. The present study aims to estimate concentration of some of most important chemical constituents of river water. From the results, we conclude that water quality of Ramganga river changed from moderate to extremely bad after discharge of industrial effluents. The area of study is losing water quality continuously at present.
Industrial effluent, Water quality, Wastewater
- Anda, J. et al. Phosphates in lake Chapala, Mexico. Lakes Reservoirs Res. Manage., 6:313-321.
- Garcia, M. G., V. M. Hidalgo Del and M. A. Blesa. 2001. Geochemistry of groundwater in the alluvial plain of Tucuman province, Argentina. J., 9:597-610.
- Saleh, A., F. Al-Ruwih and M. Shehata. 1999. Hydrogeochemical process operating within the main aquifers of Kuwait. Arid Env., 42:195–209.
- Simeonova, V., et al. Assessment of the surface water quality in Northern Greece. Water Res., 37:4119–4124.
- Howari, F. M. and K. M. Banat. 2002. Hydrochemical characteristics of Jordan and Yarmouk river waters: Effect of natural and human activities. Hydro. Hydromechanics. 50(1): 50.
- Jain, S. K., P. K. Agarwal and V. P. Singh. 2007. Hydrology and water resources of India. Springer Dordrecht, The Netherlands.
- Kumar, N. 2022. Study of biological oxygen demand and chemical oxygen demand of wastewater of Gajraula, district Amroha, U.P. Pure Appl. Sci. Chem., 41C (1): 49-51.
- Kumar, N. 2021. Physico-chemical and biological characteristics of two wetlands in Dhampur. Pure Appl. Sci. Chem., 40C (2):70-73.
- Sinha, D. K. and Navneet Kumar. 2008. Level of Gagan river water pollution in and around Moradabad. Res., 27(4):743-746.
- Trivedi, P., A. Bajpai and S. Thareja. 2009. Evaluation of water quality: Physico-chemical characteristics of Ganga river at Kanpur by using correlation study. Nature Sci., 1(6):91-94.
- Kumar, N. and D. K. Sinha. 2018. Seasonal variation of iron in underground drinking water sources in and around Moradabad city, Uttar Pradesh, India. J. App. Eng. Res., 13 (13):11062-11068.
- Kumar, N. and D.K. Sinha. 2010. Assessment and management of river water quality through statistical technique: An approach. J. Chem. Sci., 8 (1): 573-581.
- Singhal, B. B. S. and R. P. Gupta. 1999. Applied hydrogeology of fractured rocks. Kluwer Academic Publishers, The Netherlands.
- Sinha, D. K. and N. Kumar. 2006. Monitoring of trace metals in Gagan river water at Moradabad. Indian Env. Prot., 26 (5):516-520.
- Kumar, N. and D.K. Sinha. 2021. Assessment of the effect of monsoon in Gagan river water pollution. Indian J. Env., 41(10): 1166-1170.
- Manahan, S. E. 1994. Environmental chemistry (6th edn). Lewis Publishers, Florida.
- Ouyang, Y. 2005. Evaluation of river water quality monitoring stations by principal component analysis. Water Res., 39:2621-2635.
- World Bank. 2003. Water resources and environment. Technical note D1. In Water quality assessment and protection. Ed Davis and R. Hirji. Washington DC.
- 2004. Guidelines for drinking-water quality (vol 1, 3rd edn). World Health Organization,
- 2012. Standard methods for the examination of water and wastewater (22nd edn). American Public Health Association, Washington DC.