IJEP 43(9): 850-857 : Vol. 43 Issue. 9 (September 2023)
Zonunthari, Lalawmpuii and Prabhat Kumar Rai*
Mizoram University, Department of Environmental Science, School of Earth Sciences and Natural Resources Management, Aizawl – 796 004, Mizoram, India
Freshwater resources are extremely scarce, being less than 1% of total existing global distribution. Moreover, during recent decades, contamination of groundwater emerged as serious issue of environmental, socio-economic and public health concerns. Present study analysed potable water-use pattern and groundwater quality of the socio-economically distinct Aizawl district of Mizoram, India, to assess its extent of contamination and hence suitability for human use. In this context, several physico-chemical and biological parameters were analysed from groundwater samples using standard prescribed methods. Water samples have been collected from handpumps, tubewells and springs (tuikhur) from different localities (a total of 14 sampling sites) of Aizawl city falling under five major zonations, that is central, north, south, east and west parts of Aizawl city. Results revealed that majority of water quality parameters fall within the prescribed limits in water samples at few selected sites. In relation to microbial contamination, variations were noted in most probable number (MPN). However, no faecal coliforms were recorded in recorded water samples. This study recommends sustained monitoring of groundwater quality and proper management of spring sheds to offer environmentally feasible and socially acceptable sustainable strategies.
Groundwater contamination, Faecal coliform, Water analysis, Physico-chemical parameters
- Ganguly, S. 2021. Groundwater—from freshwater source to green energy: An overview from concern to solution. J. Energy Water Resour., 6:555-567.
- Li, P., H. Qian and J. Wu. 2018. Conjunctive use of groundwater and surface water to reduce soil salinization in the Yinchuan plain, northwest China. J. Water Resour. Develop., 34(3): 337-353.
- Jayaswal, K., V. Sahu and B.R. Gurjar. 2018. Water pollution, human health and remediation. In Water remediation. pp 11-27.
- Buragohain, M.R. and H.P. Sarma. 2012. A study on spatial distribution of arsenic in groundwater samples of Dhemaji district of Assam, India by using Arcview GIS software. Reviews Chem. Commun., 2(1): 7-11.
- Chakraborti, D., et al. 2013. Groundwater arsenic contamination in Ganga–Meghna–Brahmaputra plain, its health effects and an approach for mitigation. earth sci., 70(5):1993-2008.
- Smith, C.D., et al. Lack of safe drinking water for lake Chapala basin communities in Mexico inhibits progress toward sustainable development goals 3 and 6. Int. j. env. res. public health. 17(22): 8328.
- Mekonnen, M.M. and A.Y. Hoekstra. 2016. Four billion people facing severe water scarcity. adv., 2(2): e1500323.
- Giordano, M. 2009. Global groundwater? Issues and solutions. Annual review Env. Resour., 34(1): 153-178.
- Adimalla, N., P. Li and S. Venkatayogi. 2018. Hydrogeochemical evaluation of groundwater quality for drinking and irrigation purposes and integrated interpretation with water quality index studies. Processes. 5(2): 363-383.
- Li, P., et al. 2017. Progress, opportunities and key fields for groundwater quality research under the impacts of human activities in China with a special focus on western China. Sci. Poll. Res., 24(15): 13224-13234.
- Kumar, C.P. 2013. Assessment and strategies for development potential of Deeper confined aquifers in India. Asian Acad. Res. J. Multidiscip., 1(8):247-258.
- Ramhnehzauva, C. 2021. Domestic water sources in Aizawl city, Mizoram. Senhri Multidiscip. Studies. 6(1) : 84-91.
- Ashbolt, N.J. 2015. Microbial contamination of drinking water and human health from community water systems. env. health reports. 2(1): 95-106.
- Kumar, M.D. and T. Shah. 2004. Groundwater pollution and contamination in India: The emerging challenge. International Water Management Institute.
- Ramaiah, G.V., S. Krishnaiah and M. Naik. 2014. Leachate characterization and assessment of grou-ndwater pollution near MSW dumpsite of Mavalli-pura, Bangalore. J. Eng. Res. Applications. 4(1): 267-271.
- Altman, S.J. and R.R. Parizek. 1995. Dilution of nonpoint source nitrate in groundwater. Env. Quality. 24(4):707-718.
- Khajuria, A. 2016. Impact of nitrate consumption: Case study of Punjab, India. Water Resour. Prot., 8(2):211-216.
- Dieng, N.M., et al. 2017. Temporal changes in groundwater quality of the Saloum coastal aquifer. Hydrol. Regional Stud., 9:163-182.
- Barnes, B. and D.M. Gordon. 2004. Coliform dynamics and the implications for source tracking. microbiol., 6(5):501-509.
- Mahler, B.J., et al. 2000. Transport of free and particulate-associated bacteria in Karst. Hydrol., 238 (3-4): 179-193.
- Rai, P.K. and Vanlalruati. 2022. Societal perception on environmental and socio-economic implications of Tithonia diversifolia (Hemsl.). Gray invasion in an Indo-Burma biodiversity hotspot. Socio-eco. Stud., 10(3): 59-66.
- 2012. Meteorological data of Mizoram. Mizoram Remote Sensing Application Centre, Aizawl, Mizoram. pp 43-45.
- Biswas, B. and A. Azyu. 2021. Water resources and management system of the Himalayan region: Case study of Mizoram, India. Nature Env. Poll. Tech., 20(1):193-201.
- Rokade, V.M., P. Kundal and A.K. Joshi. 2004. Water resources development action plan for Sasti watershed, Chandrapur district, Maharashtra using remote sensing and geographic information system. Indian Soc. remote Sens., 32(4): 363-372.
- Kumar, B. and U. Kumar. 2011. Groundwater recharge zonation mapping and modelling using geomatics techniques. J. Env. Sci., 1(7):1670-1681.
- 2004. Guidelines for drinking water quality (3rd edn). Recommendations. World Health Organization, Geneva.
- Adimalla, N. and S.J. Venkatayogi. 2017. Mechanism of fluoride enrichment in groundwater of hard rock aquifers in Medak, Telangana state, South India. Earth Sci., 76(1):1-10.
- 2005. Standard methods for examination of water and wastewater (21st edn). American Public Health Association, Washington DC.
- Gauri, N.A. and S.K. Soni. 2016. Analysis of water quality parameters of groundwater near Chittorgarh industrial area, Rajasthan, India. IOSR J. Appl. Chem., 9(8): 74-78.
- Patel, T.M., et al. 2017. Physico-chemical analysis of groundwater quality of Bhanvad. J. Eco. Energy Env., 2(5):87.
- Prasad, B.G. 2003. Evaluation of water quality in Tadepalli mandal of Guntur district, A.P. Nature Env. Poll. Tech., 2(3):273-276.
- Lee, J., et al. The role of algae and cyanobac-teria in the production and release of odourants in water. Env. Poll., 227:252-262.
- Rai, P.K. 2009. Heavy metals in water, sediments and wetland plants in an aquatic ecosystem of tropical industrial region, India. Monit. Assess., 158 (1-4): 433-457.
- Patil, P.N., D.V. Sawant and R. N. Deshmukh. 2012. Physico-chemical parameters for testing of water-A review. j. env. sci., 3(3):1194.
- Sarala, C. and P.R. Babu. 2012. Assessment of groundwater quality parameters in and around Jawaharnagar, Hyderabad. j. sci. res., 2(10): 1-6.
- Akram, S. and F. Rehman. 2018. Hardness in drinking water, its sources, its effects on humans and its household treatment. Chem. Appl., 4(1): 1-4.
- Vikal, P. 2009. Multivariant analysis of drinking water quality parameters of lake Pichhola in Udaipur, India. Forum Int. J., 1(2): 97-102.
- Rai, P.K. 2010. Seasonal monitoring of heavy metals and physico-chemical characteristics in a lentic ecosystem of sub-tropical industrial region, India. Monit. Assess., 165: 407-433.
- Srivastava, R.K. and D. Pandey. 2012. Physico-chemical and microbiological quality evaluation of groundwater for human domestic consumption in adjoining area of Omti nallah, Jabalpur (M.P.), India. J. Env. Sci., 3(3): 1089-1096.
- Rai, P.K. and B.D. Tripathi. 2007. Microbial contamination in vegetables due to irrigation with partially treated municipal wastewater in a tropical city. J. Env. Health Res., 17(5): 389-395.