IJEP 43(9): 858-864 : Vol. 43 Issue. 9 (September 2023)
1. Arignar Anna College (Arts and Science), P.G. and Research Department of Biotechnology, Krishnagiri – 635 115, Tamil Nadu, India
2. St. Joseph’s College of Arts and Science for Women, Hosur – 635 126, Tamil Nadu, India
The current research looks at the acute toxicity of fungicides, like carbendazim and mancozeb on the freshwater fish Labeo rohita. For 96 hr, the fish were exposed to various concentrations of carbendazim and mancozeb. The 96 hr LC50 value of carbendazim and mancozeb was found to be 0.076 g/L. Several histopathological abnormalities in fish organs were found, which will be beneficial in determining the harmful impact of carbendazim and mancozeb. Microscopically, histopathological alterations in the gills, liver and kidneys revealed growing and decreasing damage in tissues treated with carbendazim and mancozeb in comparison to that of control groups that had normal architecture. The study gives an awareness of the usage of fungicides, such as carbendazim and mancozeb in the future as the usage may cause histopathological issues.
Carbendazim, Mancozeb, Fungicide, Histopathological alterations
- Dube, P.N. and B.B. Hosetti. 2010. Behaviour surveillance and oxygen consumption in the freshwater fish Labeo rohita (Hamilton) exposed to sodium cyanide. Animal Husbandry. 26(1-2):91-109.
- Satyavani, G., et al. 2019. Toxicity effect of expired pesticides to freshwater fish, Labeo rohita. J. Agric. Env., 12:1-9.
- Binukumari, S. and M.C. Subhisha. 2010. Hematological responses in a freshwater fish Oreochramis mossambicus exposed to chlorpyrifos. 10:83-88.
- Tamizhazhagan, V., et al. 2017. The toxicity effect of pesticide monocrotophos 36% E.C. on the enzyme activity changes in liver and muscles of Labeo rohita (Hamilton, 1882). Int. J. Pharma. Sci. Res., 8(5):60-67.
- Tripathi, G. and J. Shasmal. 2011. Concentration related responses of chlorpyriphos in antioxidant, anaerobic and protein synthesizing machinery of the freshwater fish, Heteropneustes fossilis. Pest Biochem. Physiol., 99:215-220.
- Rao, J.V., et al. Toxicity of chlorpynfos to the fish Oreochromis mossambicus. Bull. Env. Contam. Toxicol., 70:985-992.
- Pechiammal, K. 2015. Effects of a fungicide, carbendazim on the biochemical changes in the freshwater fish, Cyprinus carpio. Int. J. Pharmacy Pharma. Res., 4(4): 112-118.
- Muthukumaravel, K. 2013. Studies on the acute toxicity of pesticides on the freshwater fish Labeo rohita. Int. J. Pure Appl. Zool., 1:185-192.
- Vutukuru, S.S. 2005. Acute effects of hexavalent chromium on survival oxygen consumption, hematological parameters and some biochemical profiles of the Indian major carp, Labeo rohita. Int. J. Env. Res. Public Health. 2(3):456-462.
- Mushigeri, S.B. and M. David. 2003. Nickel induced changes on some aspects of protein metabolism in the tissues of Pila globosa. J. Env. Biol., 24(1):69-75.
- Temmink, J., et al. An ultrastructure of chromatin induced hyperplasia in the gill of rainbow trout, Salmo gairdneri. Aquatic Toxicol., 4:165-179.
- Hadi, A.A. and S.F. Alwar. 2012. Histopathological changes in gills, liver and kidney of freshwater fish, Tilapia zillii exposed to aluminium. J. Pharm. Life Sci., 3(11):2071-2081.
- Pane, E.F., A. Haque and C.M. Wood. 2004. Mechanistic analysis of acute Ni induced respiratory toxicity in the rainbow trout, Oncorhynchus mykiss: An exclusively, branchial phenomenon. Toxicol., 69:11-24.
- Mallatt, J. 1985. Fish gill structural changes induced by toxicants and other irritants: A statistical review. Canadian J. Fisheries Aqua. Sci., 42:630-648.
- Hinton, D.E. and D.J. Lauen. 1990. Liver structural alterations accompanying chronic toxicity in fishes: Potential biomarkers of exposure. In Biomarkers of environmental contamination. Ed F. McCarthy and L.R. Shugart. Lewis Publishers. pp 17-52.
- Fernandes, M.N. and A.F. Mazon. 2003. Environmental pollution and fish gill morphology. In Fish adaptations. Ed L. Val and B.G. Kapoor. Enfield, Science Publishers. pp 203-231.
- Perry, S.F. and P. Laurent. 1993. Environmental effects on fish gill structure and function. In Fish ecophysiology. Ed C. Renkin and F.B. Jensen. Chapman and Hall, London. pp 231-264.
- Karlsson, N.L., et al. Cadmium induced changes in gill morphology of zebra fish, Brachy-danio rerio and rainbow trout, Salmo gairdneri. J. Fish Biol., 27:81-95.
- Kantham, K.P. and R.H. Richards. 1995. Effect of buffers on the gill structure of common carp, Cyprinus carpio and rainbow trout, Oncorhynchus mykiss. J. Fish Diseases. 18:411-423.
- Randi, A.S., et al. Histopathological effects of cadmium on the gills of the freshwater fish, Macropsobrycon urugauayanae Eigenmann (Pisces, Antherinidae). J. Fish Diseases. 19(4):311-322.
- Alazemi, B.M., J.W. Lewis and E.B. Andrews. 1996. Gill damage in the freshwater fish, Gnathonemus ptersii (family: Mormyridae) exposed to selected pollutants: An ultrastructural study. Tech., 17: 225-238.
- Virtanen, M.T. 1986. Histopathological and ultrastructural changes in the gills of Poecilia reticulate induced by an organochlorine pesticide. 7:73-86.
- Sakr, S.A. and S.M.J. Al-lail. 2005. Fenavalerate induced histopathological and histochemical changes in the liver of the cat fish Clarius gariepinus. Egyptian J. Aqua. Biol. Fish., 6(2):103-124.
- Sridhar and Esther Joice. 2012. Carbendazim induced histopathological and histochemical changes in liver tissues of common carp Cyprinus carpio. Int. J. Adv. Life Sci., 5(1):65-70.
- Gingerich, W.H. 1982. Hepatic toxicology of fishes. In Aquatic toxicology. Ed J. Weber. Raven Press, New York.
- Al-Yousuf, M.H., M.S. El-Shahawi and S.M. Al-Ghais. 2000. Trace metals in liver skin and muscle of Lethrinus lentjan fish species in relation to body length and sex. Total Env., 256:87-94.
- Tilak, K.S., K. Veeraiah and Q.K. Rao. 2005. Bio-chemical changes reduced by chlorpyriphos and organophosphate compound in sublethal concentration of the freshwater fish Catla catla, Labeo rohita and Cirrhinus mrigala. J. Env. Biol., 26:341-347.
- Thophon, S., et al. Histopathological alterations of white seabass, Lates calcarifer in acute and subchronic cadmium exposure. Env. Poll., 121: 307-320.
- Lakshmaiah, G. 2016. Phorate induced histopathological changes in the muscles of the common carp Cyprinus carpio. Int. J. Food Sci. Nutrition. 1:37-41.
- Feist, S.W. and H. Segner. 2013. Short course toxicologic pathology in fish. Eur. Ass. Fish Pathol., 33(4):100-104.