IJEP 41(1): 34-41 : Vol. 41 Issue. 1 (January 2021)
Mobarok Hossain and Pulak Kumar Patra*
Visva-Bharati, Department of Environmental Studies, Institute of Science, Santiniketan – 731 235, Birbhum
Groundwater is a vulnerable natural resource. The problems of its quality for its designated purposes, such as drinking, domestic, industrial and agricultural uses are gaining attention, especially in developing countries. The present study was undertaken to investigate the suitability of groundwater for irrigational purpose in Bolpur block of Birbhum district of West Bengal. Major cations in groundwater samples were found in descending order as Ca2+>Na+>Mg2+>K+ whereas, anions were HCO3->Cl->SO42>NO3-. Water quality for irrigation was assessed through water quality parameters, such as electrical conductivity (EC), sodium absorption ratio (SAR), soluble sodium percentage (SSP), residual sodium carbonate (RSC), Kelly’s ratio (KR) and permeability index (PI). The values of these water quality parameters were found to be suitable for irrigation. Major hydrochemical facies of groundwater of the study area were normal earth alkaline water with prevailing bicarbonate, that is Ca2+-Mg2+-HCO3- type. Local geological setting and rock-water interactions are a principal factor that governed the formation of groundwater chemistry of the study area. The outcome of the present study may be helpful to the farmers, researchers and policymakers to formulate an effective groundwater management plan.
Irrigational water quality indices, Hydrochemistry, Piper diagram, Gibb’s diagram, Bolpur block
- Srivastava, S.K. 2019. Assessment of groundwater quality for the suitability of irrigation and its impacts on crop yields in the Guna district, India. Agric. Water Manage., 216:224-241. DOI: 10.1016/j.agwat.2019.02.005.
- Gómez, V.M.R., et al. 2017. Groundwater quality impacted by landuse / land cover change in a semi-arid region of Mexico. Groundwater Sustain. Develop., 5:160-167. DOI: 10.1016/j.gsd.2017.06. 003.
- Pazand, K., et al. 2018. Identification of the hydrogeochemical processes and assessment of groundwater in a semi-arid region using major ion chemistry: A case study of Ardestan basin in Central Iran. Groundwater Sustain. Develop., 6:245–254. DOI: 10.1016/j.gsd.2018.01.008.
- Todd, D.K. and L.W. Mays. 2005. Groundwater hydrology (3rd edn). John Wiley & Sons, United States. pp 636.
- Alemu, M.M. and F.Y. Desta. 2017. Irrigation water quality of river Kulfo and its implication in irrigated agriculture, southwest Ethiopia. Int. J. Water Resour. Env. Eng., 9:127-132.
- Nishanthiny, S.C., et al. 2010. Irrigation water quality based on hydrochemical analysis, Jaffna, Sri Lanka. American Eurasian J. Agric. Env. Sci., 7:100-102.
- Zafar, S., et al. 2017. Assessing impact of effluent discharge on irrigation water quality in southern region of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan. Env. Monit. Assess., 189(4):156.
- Singh, P.K., et al. 2018. Evaluation of the surface water quality index of Jharia coal mining region and its management of surface water resources. Env. Poll., 429-437.
- Barik, R. and S.K. Pattanayak. 2019. Assessment of groundwater quality for irrigation of green spaces in the Rourkela city of Odisha. Groundwater Sustain. Develop., 8:428-438. DOI: 10.1016/j.gsd.2019.01.005.
- Iqbal, J., et al. 2018. Hydrochemical processes determining the groundwater quality for irrigation use in an arid environment: The case of Liwa aquifer, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates. Groundwater Sustain. Develop., DOI: 10.1016/j.gsd.2018. 06.004.
- Khanoranga and S. Khalid. 2018. An assessment of groundwater quality for irrigation and drinking purposes around brick kilns in three districts of Balochistan province, Pakistan, through water quality index and multivariate statistical approaches. J. Geochem. Exploration. DOI: 10.1016/j.gexplo. 2018.11.007.
- Brindha, K. and L. Elango. 2011. Hydrochemical characteristics of groundwater for domestic and irrigation purposes in Madhuranthakam, Tamil Nadu. Earth Sci. Res. J., 15(2):101-108.
- Kalpana, L. and L. Elango. 2013. Assessment of groundwater quality for drinking and irrigation purposes in Pambar river sub-basin, Tamil Nadu. Indian J. Env. Prot., 33(1):1-8.
- Nag, S.K. and S. Das. 2014. Groundwater quality for irrigation and domestic purposes – A GIS based case study of Suri I and II blocks, Birbhum district, West Bengal. Int. J. Adv. Earth Env. Sci., 2(1):25-38.
- Nag, S.K. and B. Suchetana. 2016. Groundwater quality and its suitability for irrigation and domestic purposes: A study in Rajnagar block, Birbhum district, West Bengal. J. Earth Sci. Climate Change. 7(2):337. DOI: 10.4172 /2157-7617.1000337.
- APHA. 2012. Standard methods for the examination of water and wastewater (22nd edn). American Public Health Association, Washington D.C., United States.
- WHO. 2011. Guidelines for drinking-water quality (4th edn). World Health Organization, Geneva.
- Richards, L.A. 1954. Diagnosis and improvement of saline and alkali soils. Agricultural handbook 60. United States Department of Agriculture.
- Todd, D.K. 1980. Groundwater hydrology (2nd edn). John Wiley & Sons Inc., USA.
- Raghunath, H.M. 1987. Groundwater (2nd edn). Wiley Eastern Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi.
- Eton, F.M. 1950. Significance of carbonate in irrigation waters. Soil Sci. J., 67(3):128-133.
- Abdulhussein, F.M. 2018. Hydrochemical assessment of groundwater of Dibdibba aquifer in Al-Zubair area, Basra, south of Iraq and its suitability for irrigation purposes. Iraqi J. Sci., 59(1A):135-143.
- Ravikumar, P., et al. 2011. Geochemistry of groundwater and groundwater prospects evaluation, Anekal taluk, Bangalore urban district, Karnataka. Env. Monit. Assess., 179: 93-112.
- Kelly, W.P. 1940. Permissible composition and concentration of irrigated waters. Proceedings of the American Society of Civil Engineers. 66:607-613.
- Doneen, L.D. 1975. Water quality for irrigated agriculture. In Plants in saline environments. Ed A. Poljakoff-Mayber, et al. Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg. pp 56-76.
- Alharbi, T.G. 2018. Identification of hydrogeo-chemical processes and their influence on groundwater quality for drinking and agricultural usage in Wadi Nisah, Central Saudi Arabia. Arabian J. Geosci. DOI: 10.1007/s12517-018-3679-z.
- Naseem, S., S. Hamza and E. Bashir. 2010. Groundwater geochemistry of Winder agricultural farms, Balochistan, Pakistan and assessment for irrigation water quality. European Water. 31:21-32.
- Zaidi, F.K., et al. 2015. Reverse ion exchange as a major process controlling the groundwater chemistry in an arid environment: A case study from northwestern Saudi Arabia. Env. Monit. Assess., 187(10):1-18.
- Awais, M., et al. 2017. Evaluating groundwater quality for irrigated agriculture: Spatio-temporal investigations using GIS and geostatistics in Punjab, Pakistan. Arab J. Geosci., 10(23):510.
- Chitsazan, M., et al. 2017. Hydrochemical characteristics and quality assessment of urban groundwater in Urmia city, NW Iran. Water Supply. 17 (5): 1410-1425
- Hussain, Y., et al. 2017. Modelling the vulnerability of groundwater to contamination in an unconfined alluvial aquifer in Pakistan. Env. Earth Sci., 76(2):84.
- Obiefuna, G.I. and A. Sheriff. 2011. Assessment of shallow groundwater quality of Pindiga Gombe area, Yola area, NE, Nigeria for irrigation and domestic purposes. Res. J. Env. Earth Sci., 3(2):131-141.
- Piper, A.M. 1944. A graphic procedure in the geochemical interpretation of water analyses. Trans. American Geophy. Union. 25:914-923.
- Gibbs, R.J. 1970. Mechanisms controlling world water chemistry. Sci., 170:1088-1090.