IJEP 41(1): 78-95 : Vol. 41 Issue. 1 (January 2021)
Samir Bekheira, Zohra Dali-Youcef*, Miloud Hamadache and Asma Belaidouni
National Polytechnic School of Oran, Laboratory LABMAT, El Mnaouer Oran, Algeria
The experimental study envisages the elimination of a purple dye KB which is in the discharges of a textile plant ENADITEX of the industrial zone of the Wilaya Oran, Algeria. This dye, like the other dyes, is a pollutant and hardly degradable. Tree solid adsorbents: Titanium oxide, white clay and calcium oxide were used to remove the organic dye KB (cationic type) used in the textile industry. The kinetic study of the purple dye adsorption process showed that the removal using Titanium oxide, white clay and calcium oxide attained was 87%, 80% and 86%, respectively for respective contact times of 200 min, 60 min, 50 min and that the adsorption of the purple dye by the three solid materials was well described by the pseudo-second order model while the thermodynamic study revealed the adsorption process was physical. On the other hand, the study of adsorption isotherms using different classical models showed that adsorption can be described by the Freundlich and Temkin isotherm models.
Titanium oxide, White clay, Calcium oxide, Purple dye KB, Adsorption isotherms
- Ahmad, A., et al. 2009. Scavenging behaviour of meranti sawdust in the removal of Methylene Blue from aqueous solution. J. Hazard. Mater., 170:357-365.
- Khelifi, E., et al. 2008. Aerobic decolourization of the indigo dye-containing textile wastewater using continuous combined bioreactors. J. Hazard. Mater., 152:683-689.
- Daneshvar, N., et al. 2003. Photocatalytic degradation of azo dye Acid Red 14 in water: Investigation of the effect of operational parameters. J. Photochem. Photobiol A: Chem., 157:111-116.
- Sami, G. and B. Mohamed. 2013. Kinetic study of the adsorption of Congo Red on a bentonite. J. Water Sci., 26:39-50.
- Mohamed, L., et al. 2015. Kinetic and thermodynamic study of the adsorption of monoazo dyes on polyaniline. J. Mater. Env., 6:1049-1059.
- Paya, J., et al. 2000. Mechanical treatment of fly ashes: Part IV. Strength development of ground fly ash-cement mortars cured at different temperatures. Cement Concrete. 30:543-551.
- Belkacem, B. and Y.N. Aicha. 2009. Elimination of acid dyes in aqueous solution by bentonite and kaolin. Comptes Rendus Chimie. 12:762-771.
- Fei-fei, L., et al. 2013. Adsorption of natural organic matter analogues by multi-walled carbon nanotubes: Comparison with powdered activated carbon. Chem. Eng. J., 219:450-458.
- Gomez, V., et al. 2007. Kinetic and adsorption study of acid dye removal using activated carbon. Chemosphere. 69:1151-1158.
- Kumar, M. and R. Tamilarasan. 2014. Removal of Victoria Blue using Prosopis juliflora bark carbon: Kinetics and thermodynamic modeling studies. J. Mater. Env., 5(2):510-519.
- Elbariji, S., et al. 2006. Treatment and upgrading of wood by-products. Application to the removal of industrial dyes. Comptes Rendus Chimie. 9: 1314-1321.
- Monarrez, I.M. 2004. Pesticide retention in soil buffer devices, herbs and wood and role of organic matter. Ph.D. Thesis. Grignon University, Paris, France.
- Iqkhlass, M.T. 2012. Study of chromium VI removal by activated alumina by cross ionic dialysis. Ph.D. Thesis. Est University, Paris, France.
- Lenoble, V. 2003. Arsenic removal for drinking water production: Chemical oxidation and adsorption on innovative solid substrates. Ph.D. Thesis. Limoges University, France.
- Chafai, H., et al. 2013. Adsorption of sodium salicylate and Cr (VI) by polypyrrole. J. Mater. Env. Sci., 4(2): 285-292.16.
- Mohamed, L., et al. 2015. Kinetic and thermodynamic study of the adsorption of monoazo dyes on polyaniline. J. Mater. Env. Sci., 6(4): 1049-1059.
- Belmouden, M., et al. 2001. Removal of 2-4 dichloro phenoxyacetic acid from aqueous solution by adsorption on activated carbon: A kinetic study. Annales de Chimie Sci. des Matériaux., 26(2):79-85.
- Oguz, E. 2005. Adsorption characteristics and the kinetics of the Cr (VI) on the Thuja oriantalis. J. Colloid Surfaces A: Physicochem. Eng. Aspects. 252:121-128.
- Romero-Gonzalez, J., et al. 2005. Determination of thermodynamic parameters of Cr (VI) adsorption from aqueous solution onto Agave lechuguilla biomass. J. Chem. Thermodynics. 37:343-347.