IJEP 41(11): 1203-1209 : Vol. 41 Issue. 11 (November 2021)
1. Sri Sivasurbramaniya Nadar College of Engineering, Department of Civil Engineering, Kalavakkam – 613 401, Tamil Nadu, India
2. National Institute of Technology, Department of Civil Engineering, Tiruchirappalli – 620 015, Tamil Nadu, India
The COVID-19 spread as a pandemic and more than 185 countries have suffered from it. Various strategies have been devised to combat the virus and prevent it from spreading. In India, lockdown had been initiated since 24th March 2020 and social gatherings had been restricted. But due to the slump in the economy and to boost up trade, certain manufacturing sectors have been opened and vehicular movement was relaxed. PM2.5 and NO2 levels started to rise drastically, which were initially reduced during the lockdown. Moreover, the recent Amphan super cyclonic storm may have increased the risk of COVID spread. A statistical Spearman correlation analysis of the air quality index (AQI) parameters with meteorological variables was carried out to ascertain the significance. Detailed epidemiological studies are warranted to confirm the spike in COVID positive cases may have been related to unforeseen torrential rains as a result of Amphan the cyclone and increased vehicular pollution.
COVID-19, Lockdown, Air quality index parameters, Meteorological variables, Amphan cyclone
- WHO report. 2020. Preparing for large-scale community transmission of COVID-19. World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland.
- WHO report. 2020. COVID-19 Strategy Update. World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland.
- Kumar, A., K. R. Nayar and S.F. Koya. 2020. COVID-19: Challenges and its consequences for rural health care in India. Public Heal. Pract., 1:100009.
- Krishnakumar, B. and S. Rana. 2020. COVID-19 in India: Strategies to combat from combination threat of life and livelihood. J. Microbiol. Immunol. Infect., 53(3):389-391.
- TN report. 2020. Chief Minister’s address to people of Tamil Nadu, Press Release 069 dated 17th May 2020. Department of Information Technology, Chennai, India.
- Wang, Q. and M. Su. 2020. A preliminary assessment of the impact of COVID-19 on environment – A case study of China. Sci. Total Env., 728: 138915.
- Dantas, G., et al. 2020. The impact of COVID-19 partial lockdown on the air quality of the city of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Sci. Total Env., 729:139085.
- Mahato, S., S. Pal and K.G. Ghosh. 2020. Effect of lockdown amid COVID-19 pandemic on air quality of the megacity Delhi, India. Sci. Total Env., 730:139086.
- Sharma, S., et al. 2020. Effect of restricted emissions during COVID-19 on air quality in India. Sci. Total Env., 728:138878.
- Minhas, S. 2020. Could India be the origin of next COVID-19 like epidemic? Sci. Total Env., 728: 138918.
- Cao, Y., et al. 2020. Environmental pollutants damage airway epithelial cell cilia: Implications for the prevention of obstructive lung diseases. Thorac. Cancer. 11:505–510.
- Conticini, E., B. Frediani and D. Caro. 2020. Can atmospheric pollution be considered a co-factor in extremely high level of SARS-CoV-2 lethality in Northern Italy? Env. Poll., 261:114465.
- Wang, J., et al. 2020. High temperature and high humidity reduce the transmission of COVID-19. SSRN Electron. J. DOI: 10.2139/ssrn.3551767.
- Poole, L. 2020. Seasonal influences on the spread of SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19), causality and forecastabi-lilty (3-15-2020). SSRN Electron. J. DOI: 10.2139/ssrn.3554746.
- Ahmadi, M., et al. 2020. Investigation of effective climatology parameters on COVID-19 outbreak in Iran. Sci. Total Env., 729:138705.
- Jahangiri, M., M. Jahangiri and M. Najafgholipour. 2020. The sensitivity and specificity analyses of ambient temperature and population size on the transmission rate of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) in different provinces of Iran. Sci. Total Env., 728:138872.
- Tosepu, R., et al. 2020. Correlation between weather and Covid-19 pandemic in Jakarta, Indonesia. Sci. Total Env., 725:138436.
- Gupta, S., G.S. Raghuwanshi and A. Chanda. 2020. Effect of weather on COVID-19 spread in the US: A prediction model for India in 2020. Sci. Total Env., 728:138860.
- Tomar, A. and N. Gupta. 2020. Prediction for the spread of COVID-19 in India and effectiveness of preventive measures. Sci. Total Env., 728:138762.
- IMD report. 2020. State-wise rainfall distribution in state rainfall map for the period 11th May 2020 to 25th May 2020. Indian Meteorological Department, India.
- WHO report 2020. Preparedness for cyclones, tropical storms, tornadoes, floods and earthquakes during the COVID-19 pandemic. World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland.
- Dbouk, T. and D. Drikakis. 2020. On coughing and airborne droplet transmission to humans on coughing and airborne droplet transmission to humans. Sci. Total Env., 5(3310).