IJEP 41(11): 1210-1217 : Vol. 41 Issue. 11 (November 2021)
1. Chaudhary Devi Lal University, Department of Energy and Environmental Sciences, Sirsa – 125 055, Haryana, India
2. Chaudhary Devi Lal University, Department of Food Science and Technology, Sirsa – 125 055, Haryana, India
Lime sludge, Grits, Dregs, Colour, Chemical oxygen demand, Pulp and paper industry
- Jayabalakrishnan, R.M., S. Mahimairaja and C. Udayasoorian. 2009. Treating chrome tannery effluent through vermiculite. J. Env. Res. Develop., 3(3):671-676.
- Odiete, W.O. 1999. Impact associated with water pollution. In Environmental physiology of animals and pollution (1st edn). Diversified Resources Ltd., Lagos. pp 187-219.
- Chukwura, E.I. and G.C. Opkpokwasili. 1997. Impact of brewery wastewater on recipient aquatic environment technology for development in Africa. An International Conference Organized by Foundation for African Development through International Biotechnology (FADIB). Enugu, Nigeria. Proceedings, pp 9-13.
- Kataria, N., et al. 2016. Preparation, characterization and potential use of flower shaped zinc oxide nanoparticles (ZON) for the adsorption of Victoria Blue B dye from aqueous solution. Adv. Powder Tech., 27(4):1180-1188.
- Thapliyal, B.P. and S. Tyagi. 2015. Water pitch analysis-An innovative approach towards water conservation in pulp and paper industry. Indian Pulp Paper Technical Assoc., 27(3):59-66.
- Abubakr, S., A. Smith and G. Scott. 1995. Sludge characteristics and disposal alternatives for the pulp and paper industry. International Environmental Conference. Tappi Press, Atlanta. Proceedings, pp 269-279.
- Gavilescu, D. 2004. Solid waste generation in kraft pulp mills. Env. Eng. Manage. J., 3:399-404.
- Monte, M.C., et al. 2009. Waste management from pulp and paper production in the European Union. Waste Manage., 29(1):293-308.
- Bajpai, P. 2015. Management of pulp and paper mill waste. Springer International Publishing, Cham, Switzerland.
- Nemade, P.D., et al. 2003. Application of anaerobic technology for biomethanation of paper and pulp mill effluent – An Insight. EPCJ., 6:6-15.
- Undrajavarapu, K. and A. Reddy. 2016. Impact of paper industry on environment : A case study from Rajamundry, Andhra pradesh, India. IJAR. 2(6):484-487.
- Sumathi, S. and Y.T. Hung. 2006. Treatment of pulp and paper mill wastes. In Wase treatment in the process industries. Ed L.K. Wang, Y.T. Hung, H.H. Lo and C. Yapijakis. Taylor and Francis, U.S.A. pp 453-497.
- Thompson, G., et al. 2001. The treatment of pulp and paper mill effluent : A review. Bioresour. Tech., 77(3):275-286.
- Pokhrel, D. and T. Viraraghavan. 2004. Treatment of pulp and paper mill wastewater : A review. Sci. Total Env., 333:37-58.
- Ugurlu, M., M.H. Koraoglu and I. Kula. 2006. Experimental investigation of chemical oxygen demand, lignin and phenol removal from paper mill effluents using three-phase three-dimensional electrode reactor. Polish J. Env. Studies. 15(4):647-654.
- Ali, M. and T.R. Sreekrishnan. 2000. Anaerobic treatment of agricultural residue based pulp and paper mill effluents for AOX and COD reduction. Process Biochem., 36(1-2):25-29.
- Lacorte, S., et al. 2003. Organic compounds in paper-mill process waters and effluents. Trends Anal. Chem., 22(10):725-737.
- Catalkaya, E.C. and F. Kargi. 2008. Advanced oxidation treatment of pulp mill effluent for TOC and toxicity removals. J. Env. Manage., 87:396-404.
- El-Ashtoukhy, E.S.Z., N.K. Amin and O. Abde-lwahab. 2008. Removal of lead (II) and copper (II) from aqueous solution using pomegranate peel as a new adsorbent. Desalination. 22(1):162-173.
- Gong, R., et al. 2008. Adsorption behaviour of cationic dyes on citric acid esterifying wheat straw : Kinetic and thermodynamic profile. Desalination. 230:220-228.
- Sharma, P.K., S. Ayub and C.N. Tripathi. 2013. Agro and horticultural wastes as low cost adsorbents for removal of heavy metals from was-tewater : A review. Int. J. Eng. Sci., 2 (8):18-27.
- Thakur, A. and H. Kaur. 2016. Paper industry waste sludge : A low cost adsorbent for the removal of malachite green dye. Asian J. Chem., 28(10):2139-2145.
- Khan, A.T., et al. 2009. Utilization of flyash as low-cost adsorbent for the removal of methylene blue malachite green and rhodamine B dyes from textile wastewater. J. Env. Prot. Sci., 3:11-22.
- Mohan, D. and K.P. Singh. 2001. Single and multicomponent adsorption of cadmium and zinc using activated carbon derived from bagasse-An agricultural waste. Water Res., 36(9):2304-2311.
- Alinnor, I.J. and M.A. Nwachukwu. 2012. Removal of phenol from aqueous solution onto modified flyash. Int. J. Res. Chem. Env., 2(2):124-129.
- Kumar, D. A. 2008. Removal of colour of pulp and paper mill eflluent by adsorption on coal flyash. J. Ind. Poll. Cont., 24(1):1-8.
- Ramakrishna, K.R. and T. Viraraghavan. 1997. Dye removal using low cost adsorbents. Water Sci. Tech., 36(2):189-196.
- Babel, S. and T.A. Kurniawan. 2003. Low-cost adsorbents for heavy metals uptake from contaminated water : A review. J. Hazard. Mater., 97(1): 219-243.
- Popuri, A.K., et al. 2016. Colour removal from dye wastewater using adsorption. Int. J. Pharma. Sci. Review Res., 39(1):15-18.
- Chakradhar, B. and S. Shrivastava. 2004. Colour removal of pulp and paper effluents. Indian J. Chem. Tech., 11:617-621.
- Igwe, J.C., U. Arukwe and S.N. Anioke. 2013. Isotherm and kinetic studies of residual oil adsorption from palm oil mill effluent (pome) using boiler flyash. Env. Eng. Manage. J., 12 (3):417-427.
- Rajwar, B.S. and I.K. Pandey. 2015. Removal of COD and BOD from contaminated water by using flyash as an adsorbent : A review. Pezzottaite J., 4(1):1537-1543.
- Tantemsapya, N., W. Wirojanagud and Sakolchai. 2004. Removal of colour and COD and lignin of pulp and paper wastewater using wood ash. Songklanakarin J. Sci. Tech., 26(1):1-12.
- Hami, M. L., M.A. Al-Hashimi and M.M. Al-Doori. 2007. Effect of activated carbon on BOD and COD removal in a dissolved flotation unit treating refinery wastewater. Desalination. 216(1-3):116-122.
- IS 3025. 2006. (Reaffirmed 2012). Method of sampling and test (physical and chemical) for water and wastewater. Part 58: Chemical oxygen demand (COD). Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi.
- APHA, AWWA, WEF. 2012. Spectrophotometric single-wavelength method. Standard methods for the examination of water and wastewater (22nd edn). American Public Health Association, Washington, D.C.
- IS 3025. 1983. (Reaffirmed 2012). methods of sampling and test (physical and chemical) for water and wastewater. Part 11: pH value. Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi.
- IS 1350. 1984. (Reaffirmed 2002). Methods of test for coal and coke. Part 1: Proximate analysis. Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi.
- IS 1350. 1984. (Reaffirmed 2017). Methods of test for coal and coke. Part 2: Determination of calorific value. Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi.
- IS 1760. 1991. Methods of chemical analysis of limestone, dolomite and allied materials. Part 2: Determination of silica. Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi.
- Sanchez, D. and H. Tran. 2005. Treatment of lime slaker grit and green liquor dregs-Current practice. Tappi Engineering, pulping and environmental conference. Philadelphia.
- Ramasamy, V., P. Rajkumar and V. Ponnusamy. 2006. FTIR spectroscopic analysis and mineralogical characterization of velar river sediments. Bull. pure Appl. Sci., 25:49-55.
- Saikia, B.J. and G. Parthasarthy. 2010. Fourier transform infrared spectroscopic characterization of kaolinite from Assam and Meghalaya, northeastern India. J. Mod. phys., 1:206-210.
- Sivakumar, S., et al. 2012. FTIR spectroscopic studies on coastal sediment samples from Cuddalore district, Tamil Nadu, India. Indian J. Adv. Chem. Sci., 1:40-46.
- Dahlan, I., et al. 2008. Removal of SO2and no rice husk ash (rha)/Cao-supported metal oxides. J. Eng. Sci. Tech., 3(2):109-116.
- Smidt, K.B. and S.B. Manfred. 2002. The application of FTIR spectroscopy of waste management. Fourier transform-new analytical approaches and FTIR strateties. University of Natural Resources and life Science, Vienns, Austria. pp 405-430.
- Cao, H., et al. 2016. The property of lime sewage sludge and its influence on co-processing in cement kilns. Polish J. Env. Stud., 25(3):959-971.
- Mendez, A., et al. 2009. Adsorbent materials from paper industry waste materials and their use in Cu(II) removal from water. J. Hazard. Mater., 165: 736-743.
- Yang, T. and A.C. Lua. 2006. Textural and chemical properties of zinc chloride activated carbons prepared from pistachio-nut-shells. Mater. Chem. Phy., 100:438-444.
- Ping, F., et al. 2010. Carbonaceous adsorbents prepared from sewage sludge and its application for Hg adsorption in simulated flue gas. Chin. J. Chem. Eng., 18:231-238.
- Puziy, A.M., et al. 2002. Characterization of synthetic carbon activated with phosphoric acid. Appl. Surface Sci., 200:196-202.
- Liu, Y. and H.J. Kim. 2015. Use of attenuated total reflection fourier transform infrared (ATR FTIR) spectroscopy in direct, non-destructive and rapid assessment of development cotton fibres grown in plants and in culture. Appl. Spectroscopy. 69:1004-1010.
- Bright, A., T.S.R. Devi and S. Gunasekarana. 2010. Spectroscopical vibratimal band assignment and qualitative analysis of biomedical compounds with cardiovascular activity. Int. J. Chem. Tech. Res., 2(1):379-388.
- Jeyageetha, C. and S. Kumar. 2013. Study of SEM/EDXS and FTIR for flyash to determine the chemical changes of ash in marine environment. Int. J. Sci. Res., 5(7):1688-1693.
- NIST Chemistry Webbook Standard Reference Database (SRD) 69. Available at : https://webbook.nist. gov/cgi/cbook.cgi?ID=B6004659 & Mask= 80#IR-spec.
- Martins, F.M., et al. 2007. Mineral phases of green liquour dregs, slaker grits, lime mud and wood ash of a kraft pulp and paper mill. J. Hazard. Mater., 165:736-743.