IJEP 41(11): 1218-1226 : Vol. 41 Issue. 11 (November 2021)
1. Vellore Institute of Technology, School of Biosciences and Technology, Vellore – 632 014, Tamil Nadu, India
2. Anna University, Centre for Biotechnology, Chennai – 600 025, Tamil Nadu, India
Water pollution has been one of the major concerns over the years and with an uncontrollable increase in pollutants, it, directly and indirectly, affects human health. One such concern is increase in phosphate pollution, which is significantly increasing in domestic wastewater. Sources of phosphate pollution are multiple industrial and municipal sources, which require serious attention at both the source and treatment level. In the current study, we have developed a novel technique for synthesis of manganese oxide particles from potassium permanganate using yeast extract as a reducing agent and employed for phosphate adsorption. Physical, surficial and thermal characteristics of manganese oxide particles revealed the presence of higher adsorptive properties alike the other chemical synthesis techniques. Adsorption of phosphate upto 87% was achieved at optimized parameters (pH: 7, time: 3 hr, initial concentration: 50 ppm, absorbent dosage: 2 g/L, temperature 300C). Kinetics and isotherms study revealed the reaction to be following pseudo second-order kinetics and in good compliance with Freundlich isotherm. Thermodynamics studies revealed that reaction is spontaneous and endothermic in nature.
Yeast extract, Manganese oxide, Potassium permanganate, Freundlich isotherm, Endothermic, Thermodyna-mics
- Schlesinger, W.H. and E.S. Bernhardt. 2013. Biogeochemistry: An analysis of global change (3rd edn). doi:10.1016/C2010-0-66291-2.
- Ritz, E., et al. 2012. Phosphate additives in food— A health risk. Dtsch. Arztebl. Int. 109(4):49-55.
- Mecke, A., et al. 2004. Direct observation of lipid bilayer disruption by poly(amidoamine) dendrimers. Chem. Phys. Lipids. 132(1):3-14.
- Venkatesan, J., et al. 2015. Isolation and characterization of nano-hydroxyapatite from salmon fish bone. Mater. (Basel). 8(8):5426-5439.
- Hu, J.S., et al. 2008. Synthesis of hierarchically structured metal oxides and their application in heavy metal ion removal. Adv. Mater., 20(15): 2977-2982.
- Lu, J., et al. 2013. Adsorptive removal of phosphate by a nanostructured Fe-Al-Mn trimetal oxide adsorbent. Powder Tech., 233:146–154.
- Raj, B.G.S., et al. 2014. Sonochemically synthesized MnO2nanoparticles as electrode material for supercapacitors. Ultrasonics Sonochem., 21(6): 1933-1938.
- Dong, S., et al. 2020. Enhanced phosphate removal using zirconium hydroxide encapsulated in quaternized cellulose. J. Env. Sci. (China). doi:10. 1016/j.jes.2019.10.005.
- Pap, S., et al. 2020. Low-cost chitosan-calcite adsorbent development for potential phosphate removal and recovery from wastewater effluent. Water Res. doi: 10.1016/j.watres.2020.115573.
- Murphy, J. and J.P. Riley. 1962. A modified single solution method for the determination of phosphate in natural waters. Anal. Chim. Acta. 27:31-36.
- Meng, Y.T., et al. 2009. Biogenic Mn oxides for effective adsorption of Cd from aquatic environment. Env. Poll., 157(8-9):2577-2583.
- Wang, W., et al. 2009. Removal of multi-heavy metals using biogenic manganese oxides generated by a deep-sea sedimentary bacterium – Brachybacterium sp. strain Mn32. Microbiol., 155(6):1989-1996.
- Kumar, H., Manisha and P. Sangwan. 2013. Synthesis and characterization of MnO2nanoparticles using co-precipitation technique. Int. J. Chem. Chem. Eng., 3(3):155-160.
- Kumara, B.P. and S. Karikkatb. 2014. Synthesis, characterization of nano MnO2and its adsorption characteristics over an azo dye. Res. Rev. J. Mater. Sci. doi:10.4172/2321-6212.1000116.
- Kim, H. and B.N. Popov. 2003. Synthesis and characterization of MnO2-based mixed oxides as supercapacitors. J. Electrochem. Soc. doi:10. 1149/1.1541675.
- Joo, S.W., et al. 2008. The effect of stirring on the morphology of birnessite nanoparticles. J. Nanomater. doi:10.1155/2008/168716.
- Nelson, Y.M., et al. 1999. Production of biogenic Mn oxides by Leptothrix discophora SS-1 in a chemically defined growth medium and evaluation of their Pb adsorption characteristics. Appl. Env. Microbiol.
- Tani, Y., et al. 2004. Sorption of Co(II), Ni(II) and Zn(II) on biogenic manganese oxides produced by a Mn-oxidizing fungus, strain KR 21-2. J. Env. Sci. Heal – Part A Toxic/Hazard. Subst. Env. Eng., doi: 10.1081/ESE-200027021.
- Li, S., et al. 2020. Green synthesis of ultrapure La(OH)3nanoparticles by one-step method through spark ablation and electrospinning and its application to phosphate removal. Chem. Eng. J., 388:124373.
- Han, Y-U., et al. 2009. Phosphate removal from aqueous solution by aluminum (hydr) oxide-coated sand. Env. Eng. Res. doi:10.4491/eer.2009. 14.3.164
- Han, R., et al. 2007. Removal of uranium (VI) from aqueous solutions by manganese oxide coated zeolite: discussion of adsorption isotherms and pH effect. J. Env. Radioact. doi: 10.1016/j.jenvrad. 2006.12.003.
- Kim, Y. and R.J. Kirkpatrick. 2004. An investigation of phosphate adsorbed on aluminium oxyhydroxide and oxide phases by nuclear magnetic resonance. Eur. J. Soil Sci. doi: 10.1046/j.13652389. 2004.00595.x.
- Lin, K.Y.A., S.Y. Chen and A.P. Jochems. 2015. Zirconium-based metal organic frameworks: Highly selective adsorbents for removal of phosphate from water and urine. Mater. Chem. Phys. doi: 10.1016/j.matchemphys.2015.04.021.
- Sakkayawong, N., P. Thiravetyan and W. Nakba-npote. 2005. Adsorption mechanism of synthetic reactive dye wastewater by chitosan. J. Colloid. Interface Sci. doi: 10.1016/j.jcis.2005.01.020.
- Gautam, R.K., A. Mudhoo and M.C Chattopad-hyaya. 2013. Kinetic, equilibrium, thermodynamic studies and spectroscopic analysis of Alizarin red S removal by mustard husk. J. Env. Chem. Eng. doi: 10.1016/j.jece.2013.09.021.
- Kumar, P.S., et al. 2011. Adsorption of methylene blue dye from aqueous solution by agricultural waste: Equilibrium, thermodynamics, kinetics, mechanism and process design. Colloid J. doi: 10.1134/S1061 933X11050061.
- Xie, Q., et al. 2017. Effective adsorption and removal of phosphate from aqueous solutions and eutrophic water by Fe-based MOFs of MIL-101. Sci. Rep. doi:10.1038/s41598-017-03526-x
- Uddin, M.T., et al. 2009. Adsorptive removal of methylene blue by tea waste. J. Hazard. Mater., doi: 10.1016/j.jhazmat.2008.07.131.
- Gulnaz, O., A. Kaya and S. Dincer. 2006. The reuse of dried activated sludge for adsorption of reactive dye. J. Hazard. Mater. doi: 10.1016/j.jhazmat.2005.10.050.
- Belala, Z., et al. 2011. Biosorption of the basic dye from aqueous solutions by date stones and palm-trees waste: Kinetic, equilibrium and thermodynamic studies. Desalination. doi: 10.1016/j.desal.2010.12.009.
- Tan, I.A.W., B.H. Hameed and A.L. Ahmad. 2007. Equilibrium and kinetic studies on basic dye adsorption by oil palm fibre activated carbon. Chem. Eng. J. doi: 10.1016/j.cej.2006.09.010.
- Pandey, N., et al. 2016. Oil cakes: Non-conventional, effective and low-cost adsorbents for removal of acid dyes from aqueous solution. Asian J. Chem. doi:10.14233/ajchem.2016.19592.
- Tan, I.A.W., A.L. Ahmad and B.H. Hameed. 2008. Adsorption of basic dye on high-surface-area activated carbon prepared from coconut husk: Equilibrium, kinetic and thermodynamic studies. J. Hazard. Mater. doi: 10.1016/j.jhazmat.2007.10.031.
- Kavitha, D. and C. Namasivayam. 2007. Experimental and kinetic studies on methylene blue adsorption by coir pith carbon. Bioresour. Tech. doi: 10. 1016/j.biortech.2005.12.008.
- Chitrakar, R., et al. 2005. Adsorption of phosphate from seawater on calcined MgMn-layered double hydroxides. J. Colloid Interface Sci. doi: 10.1016/j.jcis.2005.04.025.
- Lai, L., et al. 2016. Adsorption of phosphate from water by easily separable Fe3O4@SiO2core/shell magnetic nanoparticles functionalized with hydrous lanthanum oxide. J. Colloid Interface Sci. doi: 10.1016/j.jcis.2015.11.043
- Yoon, S.Y., et al. 2014. Kinetic, equilibrium and thermodynamic studies for phosphate adsorption to magnetic iron oxide nanoparticles. Chem. Eng. J. doi: 10.1016/j.cej.2013.09.053.
- Johir, M.A.H., et al. 2016. Phosphate adsorption from wastewater using zirconium (IV) hydroxide: Kinetics, thermodynamics and membrane filtration adsorption hybrid system studies. J. Env. Manage., doi: 10.1016/j.jenvman.2015.11.048.
- Liu, Q., et al. 2016. Phosphate adsorption from aqueous solutions by zirconium (IV) loaded cross-linked chitosan particles. J. Taiwan Inst. Chem. Eng. doi: 10.1016/j.jtice.2015.08.012.
- Lalley, J., et al. 2016. Phosphate adsorption using modified iron oxide-based sorbents in lake water: Kinetics, equilibrium and column tests. Chem. Eng. J. doi: 10.1016/j.cej.2015.08.114.
- Haghseresht, F., S. Wang and D.D. Do. 2009. A novel lanthanum-modified bentonite, phoslock, for phosphate removal from wastewaters. Appl. Clay Sci. doi: 10.1016/j.clay.2009.09.009.
- Mezenner, N.Y. and A. Bensmaili. 2009. Kinetics and thermodynamic study of phosphate adsorption on iron hydroxide-eggshell waste. Chem. Eng. J. doi: 10.1016/j.cej.2008.06.024.
- Liu, J., et al. 2011. Effect of pH, ionic strength, and temperature on the phosphate adsorption onto lanthanum-doped activated carbon fiber. J. Colloid Interface Sci. doi: 10.1016/j.jcis.2011.08.067.
- Feng, X.H. 2007. Adsorption and redox reactions of heavy metals on synthesized Mn oxide minerals. Env. Poll. doi: 10.1016/j.envpol.2006.05.028.