IJEP 41(12): 1435-1440 : Vol. 41 Issue. 12 (December 2021)
G.N. Nirmala* and Sandra Jose
Vels Institute of Science, Technology and Advanced Studies, Department of Biotechnology, Pallavaram, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
Bioremediation using activated sludge have been conducted to estimate the degradability of insecticidal compounds, like permethrin and pyrethrin. In this study, the biological oxygen demand (BOD) and chemical oxygen demand (COD) were determined to correlate the biodegradable nature of the compounds. The sludge and synthetic effluent collected was analysed for the biochemical characteristics. The average COD and biodegradability index (BI) of the investigated pyrethrin sample indicated that the compound was fairly biodegradable while permethrin was relatively non-biodegradable. On reaching a bacterial concentration of 5500 µg/mL, 86% and 98% of BOD and COD reduction was achieved for pyrethrin but less than 2% of BOD reduction was observed for permethrin. Assessment of BI value periodically and comparing it to the average value for a compound can aid in monitoring the presence of toxic and non-biodegradable substance.
Bioremediation, Permethrin, Pyrethrin, Biological oxygen demand, Chemical oxygen demand, Bacterial concentration, Synthetic effluent, bacterial concentration, toxicity
- Sanchez-Bayo, F., K. Goka and D. Hayasaka. 2016. Contamination of the aquatic environment with neonicotinoids and its implication for ecosystems. Frontiers Env. Sci., 4:71.
- Hidaka, H., et al. 1992. Photocatalytic degradation of the hydrophobic pesticide permethrin in fluoro surfactant/TiO2aqueous dispersions. Chemosphere. 25(11):1589-1597.
- Ojiako, F.O., et al. 2015. Comparative performance of pyrethrum [Chysanthemum cinerariifolium. Treviranus (Vis.)] extract and cypermethrin on some field insect pests of groundnut (Arachis hypogea L.) in south-eastern Nigeria. J. Exp. Agric. Int., 96-106.
- Jin, Y., et al. 2008. Induction of hepatic estrogen-responsive gene transcription by permethrin enantiomers in mala adult zebrafish. Aquatic Toxicol., 88(2):146-152.
- Proudfoot, A.T. 2005. Poisoning due to pyrethrins. Toxicol. Reviews. 24(2):107-113.
- Moorman, R. and K.T. Nguyen. 1997. Indentification and quantitation of the six active compounds in pyrethrin standard. J. AOAC Int., 80(5):966-974.
- Emerson, M.R., S. Biswas and S.M. LeVine. 2001. Cuprizone and piperonyl butoxide, proposed inhibitors of T-cell function, attenuate experimental allergic encephalomyelitis in SJL mice. J. Neuroimmuol., 119(2):205-213.
- Wagner, S.L. 2000. Fatal asthma in a child after use of an animal shampoo containing pyrethrin. The Western J. Medicine. 173(2):86.
- Currie, B.J. and J.S. McCarthy. 2010. Permethrin and ivermectin for scabies. New England J. Medicine. 362 (8):717-725.
- Kumar, R.S., et al. 2013. Distinctive effects of nano-sized permecthrin in the environment. Env. Sci. Poll. Res., 20 (4):2593-2602.
- Turner, T., et al. 2011. The pharmaceutical use of permethrin : Sources and behaviour during municipal sewage treatment. Archieves Env. Contam. Toxicol., 61(12):193-201.
- Maloney, S.E., A. Maule and A.R. Smith. 1988. Microbial transformation of the pyrenthroid insecticides : Permethrin, deltamethrin, fastac, fenvalerate and fluvalinate. Appl. Env. Microbiol., 54(11):2874-2876.
- Lin, Q.S., et al. 2011. Biodegradation of cypermethrin by a newly isolated actinomycetes HU-S-O1 from wastewater sludge. Int. J. Env. Sci. Tech., 8(1):45-56.
- Yang, L., et al. 2011. Biodegradation of carbofuran by Pichia anomala strain HQ-C-O1 and Its application for bioremediation of contaminated soils. Biol. Fertility Soils. 47(8):917.
- Gao, Y., et al. 2012. Purification and chracterization of a novel chlorpyrifors hydrolase from Cladosporium cladosporiodes Hu-01- Plos One. 7(6).
- Chen, S., et al. 2015. Pathway and kinetics of cyhalothrin biodegradation by Bacillus thuringiensis strain ZS-19. Scientific Reports. 5(1):1-10.
- Tang, A.X., et al. 2017. Purification and characterization of a novel b-cypermethrin-degrading aminopeptidase from Pseudomonas aeruginosa GF 31. J. Agric. Food Chem., 65 (43):9412-9418.
- Jorgenson, B.C. and T.M. Young. 2010. Formulation effects and the off-target transport of pyrethroid insecticides from urban hard surfaces. Env. Sci. Tech., 44(13):4951-4957.
- Gullick, D.R., K.B. Mott and M.G. Bartlett. 2017. Chromatographic methods for the bioanalysis of pyrethroid pesticides. Biomedical Chromatography. 30(5):772-789.
- Tattersfield, F., R.P. Hobson and C.T. Gimingham. 1929. Pyrethrin I and II : Their insecticidal value ane estimation in pyrethrum (Chrysanthemum cinebariaefolium). I. The J. Agric. Sci., 19(2):266-296.
- Lu, Z., R. Reif and J. Gan. 2015. Isomer-specific biodegradation of nonylphenol in an activated sludge bioreactor and structure-biodegradability relationship. Water Res., 68:282-290.
- Gaudy, Jr., A.F. and T.R. Blachly. 1985. A study of the biodegradability of residual COD. J. Water Poll. Cont. Fed., 332-338.
- Oliveira, M.V., et al. 2016. Ecotoxicity and biodegradability of protic ionic liquids. Chemosphere. 147:460-466.
- Droste, R.L. and R.L. Gehr. 2018. Theory and practice of water and wastewater treatment. John Wiley and Sons.
- Choi, Y.V., et al. 2017. Characteristics and biodegradability of wastewater organic matter in municipal wastewater treatment plants collecting domestic wastewater and industrial discharge. water. 9(6):409.
- Yu, G.H., et al. 2007. Enzyme activities in avctivated sludge flocs. Appl. Microbiol. Biotech., 77(3):605-612.
- Whiteley, C.G. and D.J. Lee. 2006. Enzyme technology and biological remediation. Enzyme Microbial Tech., 38(3-4):291-316.
- Porwal, H.J., A.V. Mane and S.G. Velhal. 2015. Biodegradation of dairy effluent by using microbial isolates obtained from activated sludge. Water Resour. Industry. 9:1-15.
- Junkins, R., K.J. Denny and T.H. Eckhoff. 1983. The activated sludge process : Fundamentals of operation. M and M Mars, Inc.
- Coasto, L.G. 2015. The neurotoxicity of organochlorine and pyrethroid pesticides. In Handbook of clinical neurology (vol 131). Elsevier. pp 135-148.
- Thatheyus, A.J. and A.D.G. Selvam. 2013. Synthetic pyrethroids : Toxicity and biodegradation. Appl. Ecol. Env. Sci., 1(3):33-36.
- Silvestre, C.I., et al. 2011. Quantum dots assisted photocatalysis for the chemiluminometric determination of chemical oxygen demand using a single interface flow system. Analytica Chimica Acta. 699 (2):193-197.
- Tournier, M.T., et al. 2012. Evaluation of the contamination of aquatic micro-organisms by micro-QuEChERS-nano-LC-Ms/Ms.
- Zidar, P., et al. 2012. Behavioural response of terrestrial isopods (Crustacea:Isopoda) to pyret-
hrins in soil or food. European J. Soil Biol., 51:51-55.