IJEP 41(12): 1441-1444 : Vol. 41 Issue. 12 (December 2021)
V. Arumugaprabu*, R. Sundarakannan, P. Venkatesh, G.S. Yogesh Kumar and V. Sakthivel
Kalasalingam Academy of Research and Education, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Krishnankoil, Tamil nadu, India
This research focuses on the preparation of biochar and its usage as a novel filler and reinforcement against polyester composite manufacturing. Biochar was extracted from the cashew nut waste by undergoing pyrolysis process. Among the various polymer family available, unsaturated polyester resin was used as a matrix material whereas novel biochar filler was used as reinforcement. The composites were fabricated using solution dispersion method. Biochar of varying weights (5%, 10% and 15%) were taken for this study. The prepared specimens were subjected to erosion study using an air jet erosion test rig. Erosion studies have been performed for a fixed time of 4 min and fixed erodent discharge rate of 3 g/min with varying parameters, such as impact angle of 300, 600 and 900; velocity of 72, 100 and 129 m/s. The erosion failure mechanism of the prepared composite was also discussed for the above-selected parameter briefly. The reuse of cashew nut waste drastically reduces the environmental pollution caused due to its disposal.
Polymer composites, Biochar, Pyrolysis process, Erosion rate
- Kalia, S., B. S. Kaith and I. Kaur. 2009. Pretreatments of natural fibers and their application as reinforcing material in polymer composites- a review, Polymer Eng. Sci., 49(7):1253-1272.
- Sundarakannan, R., et al. 2020. Mechanical property analysis of biochar derived from cashew nut shell waste reinforced polymer matrix. Mater. Res. Express. 6(12):125349.
- Richard, S., J. S. Rajadurai and V. Manikandan. 2016. Influence of particle size and particle loading on mechanical and dielectric properties of biochar particulate-reinforced polymer nanocom-posites. Int. J. Polymer Anal. Characterization. 21(6): 462-477.
- Oladele, I. O., et al. 2019. Influence of biodegradation on the tensile and wear resistance properties of bio-derived CaCO3/epoxy composites. J. Polymer Res., 26(1): 16.
- Zhang, Q., et al. 2020. Improvement on the properties of microcrystalline cellulose/polylactic acid composites by using activated biochar. J. Cleaner Production. 252:119898.
- Rajadurai, J. S. and V. Manikandan. 2016. Effects of particle loading and particle size on tribological properties of biochar particulate reinforced polymer composites.
- Major, J., et al. 2010. Maize yield and nutrition during 4 years after biochar application to a Colombian savanna oxisol. Plant Soil. 333(1-2): 117-128.
- Atia, A. and W. Ali. 2016. Particle erosion of epoxy resin. J. Multidiscipl. Eng. Sci. Tech., 3: 4780-4784.
- Rao, K. S., Y. S. Varadarajan and N. Rajendra. 2015. Erosive wear behaviour of carbon fiber-reinforced epoxy composite. Mater. Today : Proceedings. 2(4-5):2975-2983.