IJEP 41(3): 347-353 : Vol. 41 Issue. 3 (March 2021)
1. Laboratory of Organic Chemistry, Inorganic, Electrochemistry, and Environment, Faculty of Science, University Ibn Tofail, B.P 133, 1400, Kenitra, Morocco
2. Team of Organique Chemistry and Valoriwation of Naturel Substances (COVSN), Faculty of Sciences, Ibn Zohr University, 80060 Agadir, Morocco
The present work aims to evaluate the physical and chemical quality of groundwater in the plain of Bahira pouring in Oum Errabia and on the other hand prevent the risk of alkalization and salinization in the study area. 11 water points were sampled with 22 samples distributed as follows: 11 samples in the period of February 2017 and 11 samples during the period of August 2017 for pH, conductivity, eight major chemical elements (NO3–, Cl-, Na+, HCO3–, Ca2+, Mg2+, K+ and SO42-). Also, Piper, Scholler and Wilcox diagrams were used. The results show the water wells P1, P2, P4, P5, P8 and P10 are characterized by geochemical facies sodium chloride and potassium or calcium sulphate and chloride-facies and calcium and magnesium sulphate to the wells P3, P6, P7, P9 and P11. According to the Wilcox diagram waters are good, acceptable for agriculture according to the distribution of wells in the area. The analysis of the overall water quality revealed that contents of bicarbonates, calcium and sodium exceed the standards.
Scholler, Facies, Major chemical elements, Alkalization, Groundwater, Bahira
- Ettazarini, S., et al. 2006. Mapping of groundwater quality in the Turonian aquifer of Oum Errabia basin, Morocco. Env. Geo., 50: 919-929.
- Aboulouafa, M., et al. 2019. Mapping, assessment and application of principal component analysis for the study of physico-chemical parameters and heavy metals in Berrechid groundwater, Morocco. Indian J. Env. Prot., 39(10): 875-887.
- Knouz, N., et al. 2016. Study of the vulnerability of groundwater to pollution in semi-arid zones: The case of the Beni Amir water table in Morocco. J. Mediterranean Geography. Available at: http://journals.openedition.org/ mediterranee/7853.
- Hydrological study of L’Oum Errbia. 1996. Minister of Public Works and Communication Hydraulics Division.
- Rodier, J. 1996. Analysis of natural water, wastewater, sea water (8th edn). Dénod, Paris. pp 1383.
- Doubi, M., et al. 2013. Contribution to the physico-chemical study of Oued Moulouya and its influence on the region of Outat El Haj. Larhyss. 16(12): 91-104.
- Taouil, H., et al. 2017. A study on groundwater geochemistry and metallic properties in the Guir basin (Eastern Morocco). Int. J. Adv. Res., 5(10): 1023-1029.
- Fadel, K.O.M., et al. 2017. Physico-chemical water from the right bank of Senegal river in Mauritania. J. Mater. Env. Sci., 8(8): 2956-2966.
- Guan, H., et al. Principal component analysis of watershed hydrochemical response to forest clearance and its usefulness for chloride mass balance applications. Water Resour. Res., 49:4362-4378.
- Wilcox, L.V. 1995. Classification and use of irrigation waters. US Department of Agriculture, Washington. pp 19.
- Zakhem, B.A., A. Al-Charideh and B. Kattaa. 2017. Using principal component analysis in the investigation of groundwater hydrogeochemistry in Upper Jezirch basin, Syria. Hydrol. Sci. J., 62:2266-2279.
- Njimat, S., et al. 2019. Fertilizing power study of wastewater from Dar El Gueddari WWTP – Grain corn case. Indian J. Env. Prot., 39(9): 839-843.