IJEP 41(4): 379-384 : Vol. 41 Issue. 4 (April 2021)
1. PSRI Institute for Protection and Ecology of the Republic of Srpska, Banja Luka, Republic of Srpska, Bosnia and Herzegovina
2. University of Agriculture, Institute of Soil and Environmental Sciences, Faisalabad-38040, Pakistan
3. Pan-European University “APEIRON”, Banja Luka, Republic of Srpska, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Noise pollution is recognized as an emerged environmental hazard in urban areas. The primary aim of this study was to determine, map and predict noise levels in the urban part of the city of Banja Luka (Bosnia and Herzegovina). The aim of this research is also to compare the measured noise levels in the street with legislation. All measured values of Leq (day and night) are exceeded regardless of the highest level of external noise allowed for zones I, III and IV. Leq for the day range from 62.2 to 66.2 dB(A). Leq for the night range from 57.3 – 58.6 dB(A). Values of peak levels L1 and L10 are slightly lower than the limit values or have been exceeded and that the noise level values in this area are alarming. A noise map was generated for a day, evening and night period and prediction sound level at receptor locations.
Road traffic, Noise pollution, Hospital, Mapping, Prediction
- Farooqi, Z.U.R., et al. 2017. Evaluation and analysis of traffic noise in different zones of Faisalabad – an industrial city of Pakistan. Geol. Ecol. Landscapes. 1(4): 232-240.
- Farooqi, Z.U.R., et al. 2020. Assessment of noise pollution and its effects on human health in industrial hub of Pakistan. Env. Sci. Poll. Res., 27(3): 2819-2828.
- Ilic, P., et al. 2018. Analyzing and mapping noise in the city of Banja Luka (Sime Matavulja street). Bus. Stud., 10(19-20): 47-53.
- Ilic, P., et al. 2018. Traffic noise levels in the city of Banja Luka. Qual. Life. 9(1-2):20-26.
- Ilic, P., et al. 2018. Measuring and mapping noise pollution in the city of Banja Luka. Arch. Tech. Sci., 18(1): 89-96.
- Yari, A.R., et al. 2016. Assessment of noise pollution and its effect on residents health in Ahvaz, Iran in 2011. Arch. Hyg. Sci., 5(1): 56-60.
- Jariwala, H.J., et al. 2017. Noise pollution and human health: A review. Noise and air pollutions: Challenges and opportunities. LD College of Engineering. Ahmedabad.
- Ilic, P., et al. 2018. Noise pollution near health institutions. Qual. Life. 9(1-2):56-63.
- Arbaoui, I., et al. 2017. Inter-comparison of noise pollution in Oran (Algeria): urban and industrial areas. J. Mater. Env. Sci., 9(1):1-10.
- Pakulski, L.A., et al. 2016. Noise pollution (noise-scape) among school children. J. Educ. Pediatr. Rehabil. Audiol., 22.
- Basner, M., et al. 2014. Auditory and non-auditory effects of noise on health. The Lancet. 383(9925): 1325-1332.
- Choiniere, D.B. 2010. The effects of hospital noise. Nurs. Adm. Q., 34(4): 327-333.
- Busch-Vishniac, I., et al. 2005. Noise levels in Johns Hopkins Hospital. J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 118(6): 3629-3645.
- Manwar, V.D., B.B. Mandal and A.K. Pal. 2016. Environmental propagation of noise in mines and nearby villages: A study through noise mapping. Noise Health. 18(83): 185.
- Knauss, D. 2020. Noise mapping and annoyance. Noise Health. 4(15): 7.
- Muller, J.C. and D.G.H. Scharlach. 2001. Noise abatement planning using animated maps and sound to visualise traffic flows and noise pollution. 20th International Cartographic Conference (vol 1). Proceedings, pp 375-385.
- Rulebook on allowed levels of intensity of noise and humming. 1989. Official Journal of the SR BiH, No. 46/89.
- Directive 2002/49/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 25 June 2002 relating to the assessment and management of environmental noise. Declaration by the Commission in the Conciliation Committee on the Directive relating to the assessment and management of environmental noise. Official J. L., 189.
- Stansfeld, S., M. Haines and B. Brown. 2000. Noise and health in the urban environment. Rev. Env. Health. 15(1-2): 43-82.
- Stansfeld, S.A. and M.P. Matheson. 2003. Noise pollution: non-auditory effects on health. Br. Med. Bull., 68(1):243-257.
- Maschke, C.T., et al. 2003. Epidemiological investigations of inflammation of the lumbar spine on the immune system and the diagnosis of arteriosclerosis. Umweltbundesamt. pp 406.
- Ehrampoush, M.H., et al. 2012. Noise pollution in urban environments: a study in Yazd city. Iran. Pol. J. Env. Stud., 21(4): 1095-1100.
- Djercan, B., et al. 2015. Road traffic noise exposure in the city of Novi Sad: Trend analysis and possible solutions. Pol. J. Env. Stud., 24(3): 977-986.
- WHO. 1999. Guidelines for community noise. World Health Organization, Geneva.