IJEP 41(4): 419-426 : Vol. 41 Issue. 4 (April 2021)
Mohsen Shariati, Ali Reza Astaraei*, Amir Lakzian and Hojat Emami
Ferdowsi University of Mashhad, Department of Soil Science, Faculty of Agriculture, Mashhad, Iran
To investigate cadmium (Cd) behaviour in soil due to vehicular traffic under rosemary and grass plants in three urban areas of Mashhad, this study was carried out in a completely randomized design (factorial). In the studied sites,the first 30 cm of upper soil was replaced with new superficial soil (alongwith compost and cow manure) as control, prior to soil contamination. In four seasons, sampling from soil, shoots and roots of rosemary and grass plants was taken and Cd concentrations were measured. The results showed that the average Cd concentration in control soil (without cultivation) in two sites: 100 m (Mosalla complex) sites and Imam Reza bus terminal during the experiment period increased significantly from spring to winter season, while on the third site: Botanical garden, soil Cd was almost constant. The highest soil Cd concentration was noted in winter,while in three sites, the soil Cd concentration decreased. The Cd concentration of aerial parts of each plant was significantly different during the seasons. The plant Cd concentration decreased during the spring and summer, while it increased in the autumn and winter season. It is concluded that rosemary cultivation in urban parks is a good candidate for Cd phytostabilization.
Rosemary, Grass, Soil, Cd toxicity, Urban environment
- Aneja, V. P., A. Agarwal and P. A. Roelle. 2000. Measurment and analysis of criteria pollutants in New Delhi. Env. Int., 27:35-42.
- Slini, T.H., et al. 2004. Regression analysis and urban air quality forecasting an application for the city of Athens. Global Nest: The Int. J., 4(2-3):153-162.
- Jha, D., et al. 2004. Evaluation of interpolation technique for air quality parameters in port Blair, India. Global Nest : The Int. J., 4:2-3.
- Sharma, R.C., et al. 2004. Assessment of impact of environmental pollution on human health in the city of Jodhpur, Rajasthan.
- Thilagaraj, P., R. Ravindra and R. Kesavan. 2005. A study on air pollution and its impact on human health Chennai city. IOSR J. Mech. Civil Eng., 1-5.
- Mathur, A. K., R. Mathur and A.N. Patel. 2007. Statistical analysis of indoor air pollution parameters. J. Ind. Poll. Cont., 23 (1):189-195.
- Kumar, N. 2009. Air quality interventions and spatial dynamics of air pollution in Delhi and its surroundings. Int. J. Env. waste Manage., 4(1-2):85-111.
- Kumar, A., A. Garg and U. Pandel. 2011. A study of ambient air quality status in Jaipur city in Rajasthan. Air quality index. Nature Sci., 9(6):38-43.
- Mang, L., et al. 2012. Regression analyses between recent air quality : an visibility changes in megacities at four haze regions in China. Aerosol Air Quality Res.,12:1049-1061.
- Sharma, P., et al. 2012. Predicting violations of national ambient air quality standards using extreme value theory for Delhi city. Atmos. Poll. Res., 3:170-179.
- Waseem, et al. 2013. Effects of indoor air pollution on human health: A micro-level study of Aligarh city. Merit Res. J. Education Review. 1(6):139-146.
- Chaurasia, S., et al. 2013. Assessment of ambient air quality status and air quality index of Bhopal city (Madhya Pradesh), India. Int. J. Current Sci., 9:96-101.