IJEP 41(6): 668-672 : Vol. 41 Issue. 6 (June 2021)
Pondicherry University, Centre for Pollution Control and Environmental Engineering, Chinnakalapet, Puducherry – 605 014, India
The appropriateness of a recently patented phytoremediation technology based on a sheet flow root level (SHEFROL®) bioreactor was tested by installing and operating a pilot plant in a typical Indian village (Chinnakalapet, Puducherry). The system was able to handle significant diurnal variations in greywater inflows and strength with remarkable robustness. It reduced suspended solids, chemical and biological oxygen demands and total Kjeldahl nitrogen of the greywater to the extents of 96.1±1.5, 79.8±3.3, 77.7±0.4 and 41.8±3.9% at hydraulic retention time of just 2.2±0.3 hr. The treated water met the standards of discharge on land set by India’s Central Pollution Control Board.
Greywater, Water hyacinth, Salvinia, Treatment, SHEFROL bioreactor
- Narain, S. and P. Pandey. 2012. Excreta matters: State of India’s environment: A citizens report (series 7). Centre for Science and Environment, New Delhi.
- Narain, S., C. Bhushan and R. Mahapatra. 2016. State of India’s environment (1st edn): A down to earth annual. Centre for Science and Environment, New Delhi.
- Abbasi, S. A., S. Gajalakshmi and T. Abbasi. 2012. Zero waste generating, zero chemical using, high rate wastewater treatment system- SHEFROL®. J. Patent Office. 5: 7611.
- Abbasi, S. A. and S. M. Tauseef. 2018a. Rapid treatment of greywater (household sewage) by terrestrial weed Achyranthes aspera in SHEFROL® reactors. Env. Progress Sustainable Energy. 38(2): 467-476.
- Abbasi, S. A. and S. M. Tauseef. 2018b. A system for rapid and inexpensive treatment of sewage using the weed (Eclipta prostrata) in SHEFROL®bioreactor. Water Env. J., 32(4): 573-584.
- Abbasi, S. A. and S. M. Tauseef. 2018c. Use of the terrestrial weed Alternanthera ficoidea in treating greywater in soil-less SHEFROL® bioreactors. Water Sci. Tech., 77(8): 2005-2013.
- Abbasi, S. A., G. Ponni and S. M. Tauseef. 2018a. Marsilea quadrifolia: A new bioagent for treating wastewater. Water Air Soil Poll., 229(133): 1-8.
- Abbasi, S. A., et al. 2019. Potential of joyweed Alternanthera sessilis for rapid treatment of domestic sewage in SHEFROL®bioreactor. Int. J. Phytoremediation. 21(2): 160-169.
- Abbasi, S. A., G. Ponni and S. M. Tauseef. 2018c. Proficiency of brahmi (Indian pennywort) Hydrocotyle asiatica in the one-pot secondary and tertiary treatment of sewage in SHEFROL® system. Nature Env. Poll. Tech., 17(2): 603-609.
- Field, A. 2009. Discovering statistics using SPSS (3rd edn). SAGE Publications.