IJEP 41(7): 736-744 : Vol. 41 Issue. 7 (July 2021)
1. Universiti Malaysia Sarawak, Resource Chemistry Programme, Faculty of Resource Science and Tech-nology, Kota Samarahan, Sarawak, Malaysia
2. University of Ghana, Graduate School of Nuclear and Allied Sciences, Kwabenya-Accra, Ghana
3. Kibi Presbyterian College of Education, Departments of Science, Kibi, Eastern Region, Ghana
4. University of Ilorin, Faculty of Physical Sciences, Department of Geology and Mineral Sciences, Ilorin, Nigeria
This work aimed to assess rare earth elements and their distribution pattern from the core sediments from the central coast of Ghana by Ko instrumental neutron activation analysis. The rare earth element content was evaluated with uncertainty less than 8% (at 95% confidence level) and demonstrated to be accordant with the IAEA-soil 7 certified concentrations. The calculated concentration of light rare earth elements and Fe normalized enrichment factors suggested that sediment samples were not enriched with light rare earth elements (LREEs) obtained from discharges of anthropogenic activities. The chondrite-normalized pattern of rare earth elements exhibited LREEs, Tm, Tb, Eu and Ho enrichment. The total contents of rare earth elements calculated can be used to establish baseline information about environmental contamination determination and to develop the relationships between the Ce/Ce* and Eu/Eu* anomalies and the source appointment of both LREEs elements and heavy rare earth elements (HREEs).
Rare earth element, Marine core sediment, Neutron activation analysis, Shale average, Enrichment factor
- Adam, J.R., et al. 2003. Isotope dilution MC-ICP-MS isotope dilution MC-ICP-MS rare earth element analysis of geo-chemical reference materials NIST SRM 610, SRM 612, SRM 614, BHVO-2G, BHVO-2, BCR-2G, JB-2, WS-E, W-2, AGV-1 and AGV-2. Geo Standard Geo Anal. Res., 28:417–429.
- Ozdes, D., C. Diran and B.H. Senturk. 2011. Adsorptive removal of Cd (II) and Pb (II) ions from aqueous solutions by using Turkish illitic clay. J. Env. Manage., 92(12):3082–3090.
- Henderson, P. 1984. General geochemical properties and abundances of the rare earth elements. in rare earth element geochemistry (vol. 2). pp 1-32.
- Khadijeh, R., et al. 2009. Rare earth elements determination and distribution patterns in surface marine sediments of the south China sea by INAA, Malaysia. J. Rare Earths. 27 (6):1066-1071.
- McLennan, S.M. 1989. Rare earth elements in sedimentary rocks. influence of province and sedimentary processes In Geochemistry and mineralogy of rare earth elements.
- Shatrov, V. A., et al. 2008. Rare earth elements as indicators of the tectonic activity of the basement (with reference to the Voronezh anteclise). Doklady Earth Sci., 423(2):1467.
- Al-Zahrany, A.A. 2007. Elernental distribution of marine sediments in the Sbaits of Malacca by utilizing neutron activation and mass spectro-scopy analysis, Ph.D Thesis. University Putra, Malaysia.
- Alnour, I. A., et al. 2014. Investigate the capability of INAA absolute method to determine the concentrations of 238U and 232Th in rock samples. J. Radioanal. Nucl. Chem., 299:177-186.
- Kafala, S. and T. MacMahon. 2007. Comparison of neutron activation analysis methods. J. radioanal. nucl. chem., 271(2): 507-516.
- Duffield, J. and G. Gilmore. 1979. An optimum method for the determination of rare earth elements by neutron activation analysis. J. Radioanaly. Nucl. Chem., 48(1-2):35-145.
- Danko, B., R. Dybczyñski and Z. Samczyñski. 2008. Accurate determination of individual lanthanides in biological materials by NAA with pre- and post-irradiation separation. J. Radioanal. Nucl. Chem., 278(1):81-88.
- Ravisankar, R., et al. 2006. Determination and distribution of rare earth elements in beach rock samples using instrumental neutron activation analysis (INAA). Nuclear Instruments Methods Physics Res. Section B: Beam Interactions Mater. Atoms., 251(2):496-500.
- Silachyov, I. 2016. Rare earths analysis of rock samples by instrumental neutron activation analysis, internal standard method. J. Radioanal. Nucl. Chem., 310(2):573-582.
- Abdollahi, N., et al. 2018. Novel approach in k0-NAA for highly concentrated REE samples. Talanta. 180:403-409.
- Dampare, S. B., et al. 2005. Determination of rare earth elements by neutron activation analysis in altered ultramafic rocks from the Akwatia district of the Birim diamondiferous field, Ghana. J. Radioanal. Nucl. Chem., 265(1):101-106.
- Whitty-Léveillé, L., et al. 2017. A comparative study of sample dissolution techniques and plasma-based instruments for the precise and accurate quantification of REEs in mineral matrices. Anal. Chimica Acta. 961:33-41.
- Santoro, A., et al. 2016. Assessing rare earth elements in quartz rich geological samples. Appl. Radiation Isotopes. 107:323-329.
- Zawisza, B., et al. 2011. Determination of rare earth elements by spectroscopic techniques: a review. J. Anal. Atomic Spectrometry. 26(12): 2373-2390.
- Ravichandran, M., M. Baskaran and P.H. Santschi. 1995. History of trace metal pollution in Sabine-Neches Eshury, Beaumon, Texas. Env. Sci. Tech., 29:1495.
- Lide, D. R. 2005. Geophysics, astronomy and acoustics abundance of elements in the earth’s crust and in the sea. Handbook of chemistry and physics (85th edn). CRC Press, Boca Raton, Florida.
- Hannigan, R., E. Dorval and J. Cynthia. 2010. The rare earth element chemistry of estuarine surface sediments in the Chesapeake bay. Chem. Geol., 272:20–30.