IJEP 42(1): 71-79 : Vol. 42 Issue. 1 (January 2022)
J. Cici Jennifer Raj and M. Vinod Kumar*
Vel Tech Rangarajan Dr. Sagunthala R&D Institute of Science and Technology, Department of Civil Engineering, Chennai – 600 062, Tamil Nadu, India
The concept of seismic isolation is that the structure is protected from seismic forces by which the energy is dissipated away at the base of the structure itself. Different types of locally available materials, for instance, sand, sawdust, talk, wood, coir and other materials are widely in use for the application of seismic isolation since ancient days. Interestingly, these materials are reusable and acquired with less cost and effort. The significant advantage of seismic isolation is that precious lives and property worth millions of dollars are saved. In the present study, different structures/facilities isolated for seismic forces adopting cost-effective materials, such as waste tires and other materials are presented. The historical perspective of the seismic isolation technique is to be studied widely to understand the type of materials used, benefits, drawbacks, cost in modern seismic isolation and for the comparison with the materials adopted by older civilizations. The number of seismically isolated structures worldwide is to be recognized and studied to understand the behaviour of structures with various damping elements during multiple earthquakes with the implementation of different damping elements. For instance, the statistical increase in the number of isolated buildings over years is reviewed to identify if the concept of seismic isolation is adopted enormously or not. Subsequently, the utilization of seismic codes and specifically, seismic isolation codes is to be deliberately viewed for its implementation for the design and application of the seismic isolation elements in the structure.
Seismic isolation, Materials, Ancient applications, Recent applications, Reusable, Codes, Cost
- Durgai, C. 2000. Future trends in earthquake-resistant design of structures. Current Sci., 79(9): 1291-1300.
- Rai, A.K. and B. Mishra. 2017. A critical review on base isolation techniques for its application as earthquake resistant buildings with particular need adherence in eastern Uttar Pradesh. Int. Res. J. Eng. Tech., 6(2): 234-245.
- Carpani, B. 2017. Base isolation from a historic perspective. 16th World Conference in Earthquake Engineering, Santiago, Chile. 4934: 1-12.
- Warn, G.P. and K.L. Ryan. 2012. A review of seismic isolation for buildings: Historical development and research needs. Buildings. 2(3): 300-325.
- Walters, M. 2015. Seismic isolation- The gold standard of seismic protection. Structure Magazine. pp 1-10.
- Giovannardi, F. and A. Guisasola. 2016. Seismic base isolation from the origins at today. Availabe at https://issuu.com.
- Nanda, R.P. 2015. Base isolation for architectural temples. Int. J. Civil Structural Eng., 1(2): 192-195.
- Kalpakidis, I. 2015. Lead-rubber bearings with emphasis on their implementation to structural design. In Encyclopedia of earthquake engineering. Ed M. Beer, I. Kougioumtzoglou, E. Patelli and Au IK. Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg. pp 1-11.
- Zhou, F.L., et al. 2004. New seismic isolation system for irregular structure with the largest isolation building area in the world. 13th World Conference in Earthquake engineering, Vancouver, Canada. 2349: 1-11.
- Lai, L., et al. 2014. Overview of T-bags base isolation method for building foundation, Takeuchi construction. Available at: https://www.takeuchi-con-st.co.jp.
- Sajjan, P. and P. Birader. 2016. Study on the effect of viscous damper for RCC frame structure. Int. J. Res. Eng. Tech., 5(9): 31-36.
- Soto, M.G. and H. Adeli. 2013. Tuned mass dampers. Arch. Comput. Methods Eng., 20(4): 419-431.
- Scheaua, F.D. 2012. Friction pendulum dampers for earthquake isolated structural systems. RJAV. 9(1): 129-132.
- Di Sarno, L. 2002. Seismic performance assessment of stainless steel frames. MSc Dissertation. Imperial College, London, UK.
- ITT Enidine Inc. Viscous dampers and tuned mass dampers ensure buildings stand tall. Available at https://www.enidine.com.
- Samali, B. and K.C.S. Kwok. 1995. Use of viscoelastic dampers in reducing wind and earthquake induced motion of building structures. Eng. Structures. 17(9): 639-654.
- Javanmardi, A., et al. 2020. State of the art review of metallic dampers: Testing, development and implementation. Arch. Comput. Methods Eng., 27: 455-478.
- Pasquin, C., et al. 2002. Friction dampers for seismic rehabilitation of Eaton building, Montreal. 13th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Vancouver, B.C., Canada. pp 1949.
- Ronald, F.K. and T.H. Hughes. 2014. Design of structures with seismic isolation.
- Qian, H., et al. 2013. Recentering shape memory alloy passive damper for structural vibration control. Hindawi Publishing Corp., Math. Problems Eng., pp 1-13.
- Venkatesh and A. Kumar. 2016. Dynamic analysis of 11 storey RC structure by providing lead rubber bearing as base isolation system. Int. Res. J. Eng. Tech., 3(7):1489-1497.
- James, M.K. and F. Naeim. 1999. Design of seismic isolated structure from theory of practice. John Wiley Sons.
- Mayes, R.L., I. Aiken and A. Taylor. 2019. Revisiting earthquake lessons- Base isolated buildings. Structural Engineers Assoc. California. pp 1-7.
- Kani, N. 2008. Current state of seismic-isolation design. 14th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Beijing, China.
- Kani, N., M. Takayama and A. Wada. 2006. Seis-mically isolated buildings in Japan. 8th U.S National Conference on Earthquake engineering.
- Zahrai, S., et al. 2011. Behaviour of base isolated structures in the Christchurch earthquake. 6th International Conference of Seismology and Earthquake engineering. pp 1-8.
- Global Tall Building News. 2019. Damper experienced record movement due to earthquake. Availble at: https://www.skyscrapercenter.com.
- Martelli, A. and M. Forni. 2010. Seismic isolation and other anti-seismic systems: Recent applications in Italy and worldwide. In Seismic isolation and protection systems (SIAPS). Mathematical Sciences Publishers (MSP), Berkeley, USA.
- Martelli, A., M. Forni and P. Clemente. 2012. Recent worldwide application of seismic isolation and energy dissipation and conditions for their correct use. Electronic key of the 15th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Lisbon. Proceeding, pp 52.
- Martelli, A., et al. 2014. Recent development and application of seismic isolation and energy dissipation and conditions for their correct us. Perspectives European Earthquake Eng. Seismol., 34: 449-488.
- Skinner, R., et al. 1993. An introduction to seismic isolation. Wiley Publishers.
- Buckle, I.G., R.L. Mayes and M. Eeri. 1990. Seismic isolation: History, application and performance- A world view. Earthquake Spectra. 6(2): 161-201.
- Feng, D., et al. 2006. Comparative study of seismic isolation codes worldwide. Part I: Design spectrum. 1st European Conference on Earthquake engineering and seismology.
- Melkumyan, M. 2002. Seismic isolation of civil buildings in Armenia. Progress Structural Eng. Mater., 4(4): 344-352.
- Melkumyan, M., V. Mihul and E. Gevorgyan. 2011. Retrofitting by base isolation of existing buildings in Armenia and in Romania and comparative analysis of innovative vs conventional retrofitting. Kani-III ECCOMAS Thematic Conference on Computational methods in structural dynamics and earthquake engineering, Greece. pp 449-488.
- Melkumyan, M. 2014. Structural concept and analysis of the 17-storey base isolated apartment building Sevak. Int. J. Eng. Appl. Sci., 1(3): 1-5.
- Melkumyan, M. 2017. New solutions in seismic isolation. Armenian Association for Earthquake Engineering, Yereven, Armenia.
- Melkumyan, M.G. 2018. Innovative seismic technologies and new structural solutions developed in Armenia for construction of new and retrofitting of existing buildings. Available at https://www.re-searchgate.net.
- UBC. 1997. Earthquake regulations for seismic isolated structures. Uniform Building Code, Whittier, CA.
- ICC. 2003. International building code. International Code Council (ICC Inc.), Country Club Hills, USA.
- BNBC. 1993. Housing and Building Research Institute. Bangladesh Standard and Testing Institute, Bangladesh National Building Code.
- Islam, S., et al. 2011. Seismic isolation in be a practical to practical reality: Behaviour of structure and installation technique. J. Eng. Tech. Res., 3(4): 99-117.
- Eurocode 8. 2005. Design of structures for earthquake resistance- Part 3: Assessment and retrofitting of buildings. BS EN1998-3.
- Kelly, T. 2001. Base isolation of structures, design guidelines. Holmes Consulting Group Ltd.
- Maryon, H. 2013. The Colossus of Rhodes. J. Hellenic Studies. 76: 68-86.
- Bennett, J. 2016. There’s a plan to rebuild the colossus of Rhodes. Popular Mechanics. (January).
- Gamallo, A.M.G. 2003. The evolution of traditional types of building foundation prior to the first industrial revolution. 1st International Congress on Construction history, Madrid.
- Botis, M. and C. Harbic. 2012. A brief history upon isolating systems. Eng. Sci., 5(54): 93-98.
- Bayraktar, A., H. Keypour and A. Naderzadah. Application of ancient earthquake resistant method in modern construction technology. 15th World Conference in Earthquake Engineering, Lisbon, Portugal. 38: 30709-30717.
- Dusi, A., M. Mezzi and K. Fuller. 2008. The largest base isolation project in the world. 14th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering. pp 12-17.
- Rodgers, J., et al. 2008. Building capacity in Delhi, India to reduce earthquake risk from existing buildings. 14th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering. pp 12-17.
- Makris, N. 2019. Seismic isolation: Early history. Earthquake Eng. Structural Dynamics. 48(2): 269-283.
- Smirnov, V., J. Eisenberg and A.V. Eva. 2004. Seismic isolation of buildings and historical developments in Russia. 13th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering. 966: 1-6.
- Suhail, V.M. and A.S. Raza. 2015. Seismic analysis of R.C buildings provided with HDRB isolators of various rubber thickness. Int. J. Adv. Tech. Eng. Sci., 3(6): 257-269.
- Lewis, S. 2017. The 10 largest base isolated buildings in the world. Eng. News- Record.
- Building Construction Department (Government of Bihar). 2014. Construction of Bihar Police Bhavan, Project synopsis.
- Sagiroglu, M., M. Maali and A.C. Aydin. 2018. Installation and maintenance principles of seismic isolators: Erzurum health campus. Civil Eng. J., 12: 83-95.
- Boardman, P.R., B. Wood and A.J. Carr. 1983. Union house-A cross braced structure with energy dissipaters. Bulletin New Zealand National Soc. Earthquake Eng., 16(2): 83-97.
- Hongnan, L. and L. Huo. 2010. Advances in structural control in civil engineering in China. Mathematical Problems in Engineering.
- Available at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuned_m-ass_damper.
- Roy, S. 2012. Country to get tallest ATC tower with earthquake resistant technology. Hindustan News.
- Turer, A. and B. Ozden. 2008. Seismic base isolation using low- Cost scrap tyre pads (STP). Mater. Structures. 41(5): 891-908.
- Saevfors, I. 2011. Used tire as base isolator tire for earthquake resistant houses. J. Rekayasa Sipil Architect Saevfor Consulting. 7: 37-44.
- Mishra, H.K., A. Igarashi and H. Matsushima. 2012. Experimental and analytical study of unbonded and bonded scrap tire rubber pad as base isolation device. 15th World Conference in Earthquake Engineering.
- Bandopadhyaya, S., A. Sengupta and G.R. Reddy. 2013. Experimental investigation into natural base isolation system for earthquake protection. 7th International Conference on Case histories on geotechnical engineering, Chicago. pp 4(10)b.
- Tsang, H.Ho., M.N. Sheikh and N. Lam. 2007. Rubber soil cushion for earthquake protection. Australia Earthquake Engineering Society Conference, Australia. pp 1-7.
- Thorat, S. 2017. Use of old tyres for bedding of building foundations. Int. J. Latest Eng. Manage. Res., 2(3): 12-17.
- Islam S., et al. 2011. Simplified design guidelines for seismic base isolation in multi-storey buildings for Bangladesh National Building Code (BNBC). Int. J. Physical Sci., 6(23): 5467-5486.