IJEP 42(2): 149-157 : Vol. 42 Issue. 2 (February 2022)
1. Aksum University, College of Agriculture, Department of Soil Resources and Watershed Management, Shire Campus, Tigray, Ethiopia
2. Aksum University, Institute of Technology, Department of Geology, Shire Campus, Tigray, Ethiopia
Major elements, Heavy metals, Surface water, Groundwater, Tigray, Ethiopia
- WHO. 2011. Guidelines for drinking water quality (4th edn). World Health Organization, Geneva.
- Khan, S., et al. 2008. Heath risks of heavy metals in contaminated soils and food crops irrgated with wastewater in Beijing, China. Env. Poll., 152:686-692.
- Ghaedi, M., et al. 2005. Simultaneous preco-ncentration and determination of copper, nickel, cobalt and lead ions content by fame atomic absorption spectrometry. Fresen. Env. Bull., 14:1158-1165.
- Ahmed, M.K., et al. 2015. Human health risk assessment of heavy metals in tropical fish and shell fish collected from the river Buriganga, Bangladesh. Env. Sci. Poll. Res., 22(20):15880-15890. DOI:10. 1007/s11356-015-4813-Z.
- Zelealem, H. and S. Panneerselvan. 2020. Determnation of physico-chemical parameters and heavy metals concentration in drinking water at Asgede Tsimbila district, Tigray, Ethiopia. Chem. Africa. 3(2). DOI:10.1007/s42250-020-00129-4
- Martin, J.A.R., et al. 2015. Impact of 70 years urban growth associated with heavy metal pollution. Env. Poll., 196:156-163.
- Klaassen, D., et al. 2007. Hepatic ischemia-reperfusion induces renal heme oxygenase-1 via NF-E2-related factor 2 in rats and mice Molecular Pharmacol., 71(3):817-825.
- Zelealem, H. and E. Samual. 2020. Investigation of physico-chemical characteristics and heavy metals concentration implying to the effect of local geology on surface water quality of Werii catchment, Tigray, Ethiopia.
- Bhagure, G.R. and S.R. Mirgane. 2011. Heavy metal concentrations in groundwaters and soils of Thane region of Maharashtra, India. Env. Monit. Assess., 173:643-652.
- White, P.S. 2013. The ecology of natural dynamics. Academic Press Inc., New York, U.S.A.
- Edwards, A.C., H. Twist and G.A. Codd. 2000. Assessing the impact of terrestrially derived phosphorus on following water systems. J. Env. Quality. 29:117-124.
- Appelo, C.A.J. and D. Postma. 2005. Geochemistry, groundwater and pollution (2nd edn). CRC Press.
- Haaijer, S.C.M. and L.P.M. Lamers. 2007. Iron sulphide and pyrite as potential electron donors for microbial nitrate reduction in freshwater wetlands. Geomicrobiol. J., 24(5):391-401.
- Garcia-Lorenzo, M.L., et al. 2012. Trace elements contamination in an abandoned mining site in a semiarid zone. Available at : https://eprints.ucm.es/59317/1/00104x.pdf.
- Selinus, Olle. 2005. Impacts of the natural environment on public health. Available at : https://www.elsevier. com/books/essential-of-medical-geology/selinus/978-0-0-0454191.
- Loguercio, C., et al. 2001. Non-alcoholic falty liver disease in an area of southern Italy : Main clinical, histological and pathophysiological aspects. J. Hepatol., 35(5):568-574.
- Duruibe, J., C. Ogwuegbu and J. Eqwurugwu. 2007. Heavy metal pollution and human biotoxic effects. Int. J. Phys. Sci., 2:112-118.
- ECSA. 2007. The national censes programme. Ethiopian Central Statistics Agency, Ethiopia.
- Piper, A.M. 1944. A graphic procedure in the geochemical interpretation of water-analyses. Eos Transactions American Geophys. Union. 25: 914-928.
- Raji, B. and S. Alagbe. 1997. Hydrochemical facies in parts of the Nigerian basement complex. Env. Geol., 29:46-49.
- Tesfay, Cherent. 1993. Hydrogeology of Ethiopia and water resources developmet, Ethiopia. Institute of Geological Survey, Addis Ababa.
- Reimanne, C. and P. Decaritat. 1998. Chemical elements in the environment. Springer, Verlag.
- Khan, S., et al. 2010. Health risks of heavy metals in contaminated water and sediments with wastewater in Beijing, China. Env. Poll., 152:686-692.
- Buzadžic, B., et al. 2002. Effect of supplementation with Cu and Zn on antioxidant enzyme activity in the rat tissues. Food Res. Int., 35(2-3).
- Valkovic, V. 1993. Analysis of biological materials for heavy metals using X-ray. In Spectroscopy. CRC Press.
- Oyeku and Eludoyin. 2010. Heavy metal contamination of groundwater resources in urban settlement. African J. Env. Sci. Tech., 4(4):201-204.
- Barzilay, J. I. 1999. The water we drink. Rutgers University Press, New Brunswick, New Jersey