IJEP 42(8): 973-983 : Vol. 42 Issue. 8 (August 2022)
1. Academy of Maritime Education and Training (AMET), Department of Naval Architecture and Offshore Engine-ering, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
2. Vinayaka Missions Research Foundation, Department of Civil Engineering, Aarupadai Veedu Institute of Techno-logy, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
This paper makes an attempt to find the impact of the construction of underground metro rail corridor on the water quality parameter pH below the ground surface. This massive construction which is constructed very deep from the ground surface tries to alter the properties of groundwater regime and the chances of polluting the water are very high. The water quality parameters which are naturally available below ground surface also get altered. This paper discusses about the impact on water quality parameter pH due to the construction of underground metro rail corridor and its pollution level in the groundwater. The water quality data collected are divided into before, during and after the construction of corridors. Spatial analysis using GIS is carried out to predict the changes in three phases. The pollution of pH seems to be more than 7.5 after tunnel construction when compared to undisturbed soil surface.
Spatial analysis, GIS, Groundwater, pH, Water quality, Underground
- Asadi, S.S., P. Vuppala and M.A. Reddy. 2007. Remote sensing and GIS techniques for evaluation of groundwater quality in municipal corporation of Hyderabad, zone V, India. Int. J. Env. Res. Public Health. 4(1):45-52.
- Saravanakumar, K. and R.R. Kumar. 2011. Analysis of water quality parameters of groundwater near Ambattur industrial area, Tamil Nadu, India. Indian J. Sci. Tech., 4(5):660-662.
- Antony, R.A. 2012. Azimuthal square array resistivity method and groundwater exploration in Sanganoor, Coimbatore district, Tamil Nadu, India. Res. J. Recent Sci., 1(4):41-45.
- Ramesh, K. and P.B. Jagadeswari. 2012. Hydro-chemical characteristics of groundwater for domestic and irrigation purposes in Panyakulam taluk of Theni district, Tamil Nadu. Res. J. Env. Sci., 1(1): 19-27.
- Manimaran, D. 2012. Groundwater geochemistry study using GIS in and around Vallanadu Hills, Tamil Nadu, India. Res. J. Recent Sci., 1(7):52-58.
- Tabwassah, C.A. and G.I. Obiefun. 2012. Geophysical and geotechnical investigation of Cham failed dam project, NE Nigeria. Res. J. Recent Sci., 1(2):1-18.
- Long, D.T. and Z. A. Saleen. 1974. Hydrogeochemistry of carbonate groundwater of an urban area. Water Resour. Res., 10:1129-1238.
- Murray, K.S., D.T. Rogers and M.M. Kaufman. 2004. Heavy metals in an urban watershed in southeastern Michigan. J. Env. Quality. 33:163-172.
- Pranavam, T.S.D., et al. 2011. Groundwater pollution in the Palar riverbed near Vellore, Tamil Nadu, India. Indian J. Sci. Tech., 4(1):19-21.
- Hatimehin, O.O. and S.D. Musa. 2008. The prospects of sustainable management of domestic 48 water supply and sanitation in Kogi strata. J. Env. Policy Issues. 4(1-2):33-34.
- Arshid, J., et al. 2011. Geochemistry and irrigation quality of groundwater along river Jhelum in South Kashmir, India. Recent Res. Sci. Tech., 3(6): 57-63.
- Kousalya, C.G., G. Rohini and T. Sasilatha. 2019. Robot for under water monitoring. Int. J. Eng. Adv. Tech., 9(1S2):26-32.
- Shanmugasundharam, A., et al. 2017. Assessment of groundwater quality in Krishnagiri and Vellore districts of Tamil Nadu, India. Appl. Water Sci., 7:1869-1879. DOI:10.1007/s1320/-015-0361-4.
- Kelly, W.R. and S.D. Wilson. 2008. An evaluation of temporal changes in shallow groundwater quality in north-eastern IIlinois using historical data. Illinois, State Water Survey Centre for Groundwater Science Campaign.
- Burrough, P.A. 1986. Principles of geographical information systems for land resources assessment. Clarendon Press, Oxford.
- Watson, D.F. 1992. Contouring: A guide to the analysis and display of spatial data. Pergamon, Oxford.
- Franke, R. and G. Nelson. 1991. Scattered data interpolation and application: A tutorial and survey. In Geometric modelling: methods and applications. Ed H. Hagen and D. Roller. Springer, Berlin. pp 131-160.
- Tobler, W.R. and S. Kennedy. 1985. Smooth multidimensional interpolation. Geographical Analysis. 17:251-257.
- Rajab, P.M. 2019. Discovery and control of oceanic boundary interfering vessels using GPS system. J. Eng. Appl. Sci., 13(10 S1):8097-8099.