IJEP 42(8): 990-995 : Vol. 42 Issue. 8 (August 2022)
Nyathi Brian and Togo Chamunorwa Aloius*
University of South Africa, College of Environmental and Agricultural Sciences, Florida, South Africa
Plastic bag waste is a major health and environmental issue faced by African countries across the economic development spectrum. In response, African nations have adopted waste management technologies to minimise health and environmental problems related to plastic bag litter. The extent of this problem has put pressure on municipalities to provide sustainable and effective plastic bag waste management systems. This current paper reviews the existing technological and infrastructural plastic bag waste management approaches in African countries since 2010. Data sources comprised dissertations, peer-reviewed journal articles and websites. The databases included Elsevier, institutional repository and Google Scholar. The current paper argues that African countries lack properly designed and adequate technology and infrastructure for plastic bag waste management due to constricted waste management budgets. In light of these findings, the paper proposed the adoption of the circular economy and for African municipalities to invest in income generating projects, like recycling projects that can help purchase technological and infrastructural resources.
Plastic bags waste, Plastic bag waste management, Recycling, Landfill, Incineration, Africa
- Flower, K. 2017. Polyethylene vs polypropylene : Which is better? The Plastic Sheeting Gurus. Available at : https://www.globalplasticsheeting.com/our-blog-resource-library/which-is-better-polypropylene-or-polyethylene.
- Plastic Bag Source. 2018. 5 common types of plastic bags. Plastic Bag Source, New York.
- European Bioplastics. 2017. Life cycle assessment. Available at : https://www.european-bioplastics. org/tag/life-cycle-assessment-Ica.
- State of the Green. 2018. Around 38000 tonnes of plastic packaging waste recycled per year in Kenya. Available at : http://state of green.com.
- Geyer, R., et al. 2017. Production, use and fate of all plastics ever made. Sci. Adv., 3(7):1-5.
- Jambeck, J., et al. 2017. Challenges and emerging solutions to the land-based plastic waste issue in Africa. Marine Policy. 9:256-263.
- Cancer Council. 2018. Cancer myth: Plastic food and drink packaging. Cancer Council, Western Australia.
- Ecological Centre. 2022. PTF: Environmental impacts. Available at: https://www-thesouthafricancom.cdn.amppro ject.org/v/s/www.thesouthafrican.com/lifestyle/plastics-south-africa-how-much-plastic-south-africa-recycled-20 18.
- Kabera, T., D.C. Wilson and H. Nashimwe. 2019. Benchmarking performance of solid waste management and recycling systems in East Africa : Comparing Kigali Rwanda with other major cities. Waste Manage. Res., 37(1):58-72.
- Adane, L. and D. Muleta. 2011. Survey on the usage of plastic bags, their disposal and adverse impacts on environment : A case study in Jimmy city, southwestern Ethiopia. J. Toxicol. Env. Health Sci., 3:234-248.
- Chamas, A., et al. 2020. Degradation rates of plastics in the environment. ACS Sustain. Chem. Eng., 8:3494-3511.
- Higgins, J.P.T. and S. Greens. 2011. Cochrane handbook for systematic reviews of interventions. Version 5.1.0. Available at : www.handbook. cochrane.org.
- Cuartas, M., et al. 2017. Analysis of landfill design variables based on scientific computing. Waste Manage., 71:287-300.
- Help Save Nature. 2010. Difference between sanitary landfills and open dumps you must know. Available at : https://helpsavenature.com.
- Van Eygen, E., D. Laner and J. Fellner. 2017. Circular economy of plastic packaging: Current practice and perspectives in Austria. Waste Manage., 72:55-64.
- El-Salam, M.M. and G.I. Abu-Zuid. 2015. Impact of landfill leachate on the groundwater quality : A case study in Egypt. J. Adv. Res., 6(4):579-586.
- Weli, E. Z. and O. Adekunle. 2014. Air quality in the vicinity of a landfill site in Rumuolumeni, Port Harcourt, Nigeria. J. Env. Earth Sci., 4(10):1-9.
- Yao, P. 2017. Perspectives on technology for landfill leachate treatment. Arabian J. Chem., 10(2):2567-2574.
- Lee, U. and M. Wang. 2017. Evaluation of landfill gas emissions from municipal solid waste landfills for the life-cycle analysis of waste-to-energy pathways. J. Cleaner Prod., 166:335-342.
- Pienaar, R.A. and M. Howard. 2014. From 50 dump sites to 50 waste disposal facilities-Challenges and lessons learnt. 20th Waste Con Conference. Somerset West, Cape Town, South Africa. Available at : http://www. infrastructurence.ws/wp.content/uploads/sites/4/2015/09/Pienaar-R.A.-and-Howard-M-88.pdf.
- George, D.A.R., B.C. Lin and Y.A. Chen. 2015. Circular economy model of economic growth. Env. Modelling Software. 73:60-63.
- Dlamini, S., M.D. Simatele and N.S. Kubanza. 2019. Municipal solid waste management in South Africa: From waste to energy recovery through waste-to-energy technologies in Johannesburg. Local Env., 24(3):249-257.
- Njoku, P.O., J.N. Edokpayi and J.O. Odiyo. 2019. Heavy and environmental risks of residents living close to a landfill: A case study of Thohoyandou landfill, Limpopo Province, South Africa. Int. J. Res. Public Health. 16(12):1-27.
- Novella, P. 2014. Sustainable landfills- Can these be achieved? Infrastructure news. 20th waste con conference. Somerset Wet, Cape Town, South Africa.
- Olusola, O., et al. 2019. Impact of leachate from northern landfill site in bloemfontein on water and soil quality: Implications for waster and food security. Sustain., 11:1-19.
- Sibiya, I.V., O.I. Olukunle and O.J. Okonkwo. 2017. Seasonal variations and the influence of geomembrane liners on the levels of PBDEs in landfill leachates, sediment and groundwater in Gauteng Province, South Africa. Emerg. Contam., 3:76-84.
- Njagi, J.M., et al. 2013. Knowledge, attitude and perceptions of village residents on the health risks posed by Kadhodeki dumpsite in Nairobi, Kenya. Ethiopian J. Env. Studies Manage., 6:427-434.
- Isugi, J. and D. Niu. 2012. Research on landfill and composting guidelines in Kigali city, Rwanda based on China’s experience. Int. Proceedings Chem. Biol. Env. Eng., 94(2016):62-67.
- Idowu, I.A., et al. 2019. An analyses of the status of landfill classification system in developing countries: Sub-Saharan Africa landfill experiences. Waste Manage., 87:761-771.
- Kubare, M., C. Mutsvangwa and C. Masuku. 2010. Groundwater contamination due to lead (Pb) migrating from Richmond municipal landfill into Matsheumhlope aquifer: Evaluation of a model using field observations. Drinking Water Eng. Sci., 3:251-269.
- Teta, C. and T. Hikwa. 2017. Heavy metal contamination of groundwater from an unlined landfill in Bulawayo, Zimbabwe. J. Health Poll., 15:18-27.
- Scheinberg, A., et al. 2015. From collision to collaboration integrating informal recyclers and re-use operators in Europe: A review. Waste Manage. Res., 34(9):820-839.
- Nidoni, P.G. 2017. Incineration process for solid waste management and effective utilization of by- products. Int. Res. J. Eng. Tech., 4(12): 378-382.
- Steensgaard, I., et al. 2017. From macro to micro plastics analysis of EU regulation along the life cycle of plastic bags. Env. Poll., 224:289-299.
- Kwesiga, D. 2018. Strategies for managing plastic waste from construction and manufacturing projects. Rwanda J. Eng. Sci. Tech. Env., 1(1). DOI: 10.4314/rjeste.v1i1.9 Sn.
- Behuria, P. 2019. The comparative political eco-nomy of plastic bag bans in East Africa: Why implementation has varied in Rwanda, Kenya and Uganda (GDI working paper 2019-037). The University of Manchester, Manchester.
- McAllister, J. 2015. Factors influencing solid waste management in the developing world. All Graduate Plan B Other Reports. 528.
- Kobza, N. and A. Schuster. 2016. Building a responsible Europe-The value of the circular economy. IFAC Papers OnLine. 49(29):111-116.
- Van Eygen, E., et al. 2018. Circular economy of plastic packaging: Current practice and perspectives in Austria. Waste Manage., 72:55-64.
- Hovarth, B., E. Mallinguh and C. Fogarassy. 2018. Designing business solutions for plastic waste management to enhance circular transitions in Kenya. Sustain., 10(1664):1-20.
- Mativenga, P.T., et al. 2017. Composites in a circular economy: A study of United Kingdom and South Africa. Procedia CIRP. 61:691-696.
- Whicher, A., et al. 2017. Design for circular economy: Developing an action plan for Scotland. J. Clean Prod., 172:3237-3248.
- Hovarth, B., E. Mallinguh and C. Fogarassy. 2018. Designing business solution for plastic waste management to enhance circular transitions for plastic waste management to enhance circular transitions in Kenya. Sustain., 10(1664):1-20.
- Mmereki, D., A. Baldwin and B.A. Li. 2016. Comparative analysis of solid waste management in developed, developing and lesser developed countries. Env. Tech. Reviews. 5 (1):120-141.
- Moloney, B. and B.A. Doolan. 2016. Comparison of obstacles in emerging and developed nation dry waste recovery. Procedia Coop. Institutional Res. Programme. 40:347-352.
- Muzenda, E. 2013. Recycling situation in South Africa: A discussion. Int. J. Biol. Ecol. Env. Sci., 2(4):2277-4394.
- Plastic South Africa. 2018. Here’s how much plastic was recycled in 2018. Available at: https://www-thesouthafrican-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.thesouthafrican.com/lifestyle/plastics-south-africa-how-much-plastic-south-africa -recycled-2018.
- Africa News. 2019. Nigeria recycling initiative. Available at : africannews.com.
- Wecylcers. 2019. Urban waste crises. Available at: wecycle.com.
- Gorvild, M.L. 2014. Wacyclers wins Sustania award. Available at : https://www.dnvgl.com/news/wecyclers-win-sustania-award-6318.
- Rethaka Foundation. 2019. Available at : www. rethaka foundation.org.
- The South African. 2015. Repurpose schoolbags: An eco and socio-friendly solution. Available at: https:www.the southafrican.com/lifestyle/repurposes-schoolbags-an-eco-and-socio-friendly-solution.
- Baker, M., S. Memela and N. Rampete. 2016. Empowerment of waste packers in the city of Johannesburg, creating an enabling environment for the informal waste sector to participate in municipal waste service delivery. 23rd Waste Con Conference. Johannesburg, South Africa. Proceedings, pp 171-177.
- Unconventional Media. 2017. Unconventional waste. Available at: www.unconventionalmedia. co.za.
- Polyco. 2019. Available at: https://www.polyco. co.za.
- Atkisson.com. 2016. Proplast brings plastic recycling and livelihood to communities in senegal. Available at: atkisson.com/proplast-plastic-recycling-and-livelihood-to-communities-in-senegal.
- Gambrah, P. 2013. Plastic bags waste management using the Knapsack model: Case study, trashy bags, Accra. Int. J. Sci. Eng. Res., 4(5):1913-1923.
- Awasthi, A.K., M. Shivashankar and S. Majumder. 2017. Plastic solid waste utilization technologies: A reveiw. IOP Conf. Series Master. Sci. Eng., 263: 022024. DOI 10.1088/1757-899X/263/2/022 024.
- Sekyere, E.O., I.K. Osumanu and Y.A. Kadir. 2013. An analysis of the plastic waste collection and wealth linkages in Ghana. Int. J. Curr. Res. Review. 5:205-209.
- Infrastructure News. 2013. Funding proposals for the effective management of waste. Available at: http://www. infrastructurenews/201311/13/funding-proposals-for the effective-management of waste.