IJEP 42(9): 1071-1079 : Vol. 42 Issue. 9 (September 2022)
1. Ravenshaw University, Department of Applied Geography, Cuttack – 753 003, Odisha, India
2. Utkal University, Department of Geography, Bhubaneswar – 751 004, Odisha, India
Urbanization brings biophysical changes in the composition of landscapes. All these changes leads to the alteration in the spatial characteristics of the landscape, which resulted in altered surface temperature in urban areas in comparison to their rural counterpart. The urban heat island (UHI) has detrimental effect on human health and functioning of ecosystem. This paper deals with the urbanization-induced landuse/land cover changes and its impact on land surface temperature (LST) and the role of vegetation in mitigating LST and UHI impacts. The study result revealed that there is significant increase in the LST of the study area from 1995 to 2017 which has resulted due to increase in built-up area and decrease in vegetation. The study documents the negative correlation exist between vegetation and LST in both the study year. An increase in built-up area and decrease in vegetation cover leads to increase in LST. The study implies that increasing vegetation cover is an effective tool for city planners to reduce the increasing LST by improving vegetation cover in critical areas.
Urbanization, Landuse/land cover, Land surface temperature, Urban heat island, Urban microclimate, Vegetation cover, Satellite imageries
- U.N. 2014. World’s population increasingly urban with more than half living in urban areas. United Nations. Available at : http://www.un.org/en/development/desa/news/population/worldurbanization-prospects-2014.htmL.
- Kotze, J., et al. 2011. Effects of urbanization on the ecology and evolution of arthropods (chapter 3). In Urban ecology : Patterns, processes and applications. Ed J. Niemela et al. pp 159-186.
- Chen, X.L., et al. 2006. Remote sensing image-based analysis of the relationship between urban heat island and landuse/land cover changes. Remote Sensing Env., 104(2):133-146. DOI:10.1016/j.rse.2005.
- Devanathan, P. and K. Devanathan. 2011. Heat island effects. In Green building with concrete : Sustainable design and construction. Ed G.M. Sabnis. CRC Press, Florida. pp 175-226.
- Tan, J., et al. 2010. The urban heat island and its impact on heat waves and human health in Shanghai. Int. J. Biometerol., 54(1):75-84. DOI:10. 1007/s00484-009-0256-x.
- Joshi, R., et al. 2015. Urban heat island characterization and isotherm mapping using geo-informatics technology in Ahmedabad city, Gujarat state, India. Int. J. Geosci., 6(3):274-285.
- USEPH. 2012. Heat island impacts. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
- Mohan, M., et al. 2012. Urban heat island assessment for a tropical urban airshed in India. Atmos. Climate Sci., 2:127-138.
- Pal, S. and S. Ziaul. 2017. Detection of landuse and land cover change and land surface temperature in English Bazar urban centre. Egyptian J. Remote Sensing Space Sci., 20(1):125-145.
- Rogan, J., et al. 2013. The impact of tree cover loss on land surface temperature : A case study of central Massachusetts using landsat thematic mapper thermal data. Appl. Geogr., 45:49-57.
- Estoque, R.C. and Y. Murayama. 2014. Measuring sustainability based upon various perspectives : A case study of a hill station in southeast Asia. Ambio. 43:943-956.
- Mallick J., Y. kant and B.D. Bharath. 2008. Estimation of land surface temperature over Delhi using Landsat-7 ETM+. J. Indian Geophys. Union. 12:131-140.
- Sharma, R. and P.K. Joshi. 2014. Indentifying seasonal heat islands in urban settings of Delhi (India) using remotely sensed data-An anomaly based approach. Urban Climate. 9:19-34.
- Katpatal, Y.B., A. Kute and D.R. Satapathy. 2008. Surface and air-temperature studies in relation to landuse/land cover of Nagpur urban area using Landsat 5 TM data. J. Urban Planning Develop., 134:110-118.
- Ramachandra, T. and U. Kumar. 2010. Greater Bangalore : Emerging urban heat island. GIS Develop., 14(1):1-16.
- Shabeer, A.M. and D. Mahesha. 2011. Estimation of land surface temperature in urbanized area and microclimate change using spatial technique – A modis based approach for Cochin city. Papeles Geografia. 53-54: 241-245.
- Vyas, A., B. Shastri and Y. Joshi. 2014. Spatio-temporal analysis of UHI using geo-spatial techniques: A case study of Ahmedabad city. Int. Arch. Photogrammetry Remote Sens. Spatial Inf. Sci., 40(8): 997-1002.
- Jalan, S. and K. Sharma. 2014. Spatio-temporal assessment of landuse/land cover dynamics and urban heat island of Jaipur city using satellite data. Int. Arch. Photogrammetry, Remote Sens. Spatial Infor. Sci., XL-8(1):767-772.
- Grover, A. and R.B. Singh. 2015. Analysis of urban heat island (UHI) in relation to normalized difference vegetation index (NDVI) : A comparative study of Delhi and Mumbai. Env., 2(4):125-138.
- Jeganathan, A., et al. 2016. Spatial variation of temperature and indicative of the urban heat island in Chennai metropolitan area, India. Theoretical Appl. Climatol., 23:83-95.
- TERI. 2017. Final report on urban planning characterisitcs to migtigate climate change in context of urban heat island effect. Project report no. 2016BG031. The Energy and Resources Institute, Bangalore.
- Weng, Q., D. Lu and J. Schubring. 2004. Estimation of land surface temperature-vegetation abundance relationship for urban heat island studies. Remote Sens. Env., 89(4):467-483.
- Ren, Z., et al. 2013. Estimation of the relationship between urban park characteristics and park cool island intensity by remote sensing data and field measurement. Forests. 4(4):868-886.
- Zhibin, R., et al. 2015. Estimation of the relationship between urban vegetation configuration and land surface temperature with remote sensing. J. Indian Soc. Remote Sens., 43(1):89-100.
- Gallo, K.P., J.D. Tarpley and A.L. McNab. 1995. Assessment of urban heat island : A satellite perspective. Atmos. Res., 37:37-43.
- Owen, T.W., T.N. Carlson and R.R. Gillies. 1998. An assessment of satellite remotely-sensed land cover parameters in quantitatively describing the climate effect of urbanization. Int. J. Remote Sensing. 19:1663-1681.
- Senanayake, I.P., W.D.D.P. Welivitiya and P.M. Nadeeka. 2013. Assessment of green space requirement and site analysis in Colombo, Sri Lanka-A remote sensing and GIS approach. Int. J. Sci. Eng. Res., 4(12): 29-34.
- Chakraborty, S.D., Y. Kant and D. Mitra. 2013. Assessment of land surface temperature and heat fluxes over Delhi using remote sensing data. J. Env. Manage., 148:143-152.
- Kanga, S., S.K. Singh and Sudhanshu. 2017. Delineation or urban built-up and change detection analysis using multi-temporal satellite images. Int. J. Recent Res. Aspect. 4(3):1-9.
- Chen, Y., M. Du and R. Dong. 2008. Correlation between urban heat island effect and the thermal inertia using aster data in Beijing, China. int. arch. photogrammetry Remote Sens. Spatial infor. Sci., (xxxvii, B7).
- Sobrino, J.A., J.C. Jimenez-Munoz and L. Paolini. 2004. Land surface temperature retrievel from Landsat TM5. Remote Sens. Env., 90(4):434-440.
- Quintano, C., et al. 2015. Land surface temperature as potential indicator of burn severity in forest mediterranean ecosystems. Int. J. Appl. Earth obs. Geoinf., 36:1-12.
- Lim, H.S., et al. 2012. Application of a simple mono window land surface temperature algorithm from Landsat ETM over Al Qassim, Saudi Arabia. Sains Malaysiana. 41(7):841-846.
- Coll, C., et al. 2010. Validation of Landsat-7/ETM+thermal-band calibration and atmospheric correction with ground-based measurements. IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., 48(1):547-555.
- Xu, H., et al. 2011. Dynamical monitoring and evaluation methods to urban heat island effects based on RS and GIS. Procedia Env. Sci., 10:1228-1237.
- Weng, Q. and D. Lu. 2008. A sub-pixel analysis of urbanization effect on land surface temperature and its interplay with impervious surface and vegetation coverage in Indianapolis, United States. Int. J. Appl. Earth obs., 10:68-83.
- Kikon, N., et al. 2016. Assessment of urban heat islands (UHI) of Noida city, India using multi-temporal satellite data. Sustain. Cities Sco., 22:19-28.
- Ranagalage, M., R.C. Estogue and Y. Murayama. 2017. An urban heat island study of the Colombo metropolitan area, Sri Lanka based on Landsat data (1997-2017). ISPRS Int. J. Geo-Inf., 6(7):1-17.