IJEP 43(4): 304-312 : Vol. 43 Issue. 4 (April 2023)
Yakoopali Ibrahim and Vasanthi Padmanabhan*
B.S. Abdur Rahman Crescent Institute of Science and Technology, Department of Civil Engineering, School of Infrastructure, Vandalur, Chennai , Tamil Nadu – 600 048, India
A lab-scale experiment was conducted to treat the textile dyeing effluent with the naturally available indigenous plant-based and indigenous mineral-based materials as a coagulant. Mahua longifolia (Iluppai) powder (MCP) and bentonite clay powder (BCP) were used as natural coagulants for treating textile dyeing wastewater. These natural coagulants were added at various dosages of 0-20 mL at constant intervals in the lab-scale coagulation process. The initial and final characteristics of textile dyeing effluent, like pH, turbidity and chemical oxygen demand (COD) were tested and compared for the coagulation process. For MCP dosage, the maximum removal efficiency of COD and turbidity was 44% and 83%, respectively at the coagulant dose of 12.5 mL. At 7.5 mL dosage of BCP and alum, the removal efficiency of COD and turbidity were 36%, 76% and 34%, 71%, respectively. The removal efficiency of COD and turbidity increased when the pH level was varied in the acidic range. The dosage of 12.5 mL of MCP has given the maximum COD and turbidity removal efficiency of 60% and 97%, respectively at acidic state. The indigenous plant-based MCP coagulant is locally available, cheaper in rate and can be used as coagulant for treating industrial effluent and providing better efficiency.
pH, Chemical oxygen demand, Natural coagulant, Alum, Mahua longifolia, Bentonite clay
- Beltran-Heredia, J., J. Sanchez-Martin and M.A. Davila-Acedo. 2011. Optimization of the synthesis of a new coagulant from a tannin extract. J. Hazard. Mater., 186:1704-1712.
- Naje, A., et al. 2015. Treatment performance of textile wastewater using electrocoagulation (EC) process under combined electrical connection of electrodes. Int. J. Electrochem. Sci., 10:5924-5941.
- Zazou, H., et al. 2019. Treatment of textile industry wastewater by electrocoagulation coupled with electrochemical advanced oxidation process. J. Water Process Eng., 28:214-221.
- Khorram, A.G. and F. Narges. 2017. Treatment of textile dyeing factory wastewater by electrocoagulation with low sludge settling time : Optimization of operating parameters by RSM. J. Env. Chem. Eng., S 2213-3437 (17):30693-0.
- Likhar, M.C. and M.V. Shivramwar. 2013. Removal of chemical oxygen demand (COD) and colour from dye manufacturing industry by coagulation. Int. J. Eng. Res. Applications. 3(2):1116-1118.
- Sarwan, B., et al. 2012. Mineralization and toxicity reduction of textile dye neutral red in aqueous phase using BiOCl photocatalysis. J. Photochem. Photobiol. B. 116:48-55.
- Popli, S. and U.D. Patel. 2015. Destruction of azo dyes by anaerobic-aerobic sequential biological treatment : A review. Int. J. Env. Sci. Tech., 12: 405-420.
- Altamirano-Corona, M.F., et al. 2015. Decolourization of an effluent from textile industry using Moringa oleifera seed extract. Int. J. Sci. Basic Appl. Res., 19(2):99-111.
- Dey, S. and A. Islam. 2015. A review on textile wastewater characterization in Bangladesh. Resour. Env., 5(1):15-44.
- Solanki, M., et al. 2013. Treatment of real textile wastewater using coagulation technology. Int. J. Chem. Tech. Res., 5:610-615.
- Wong, P.W., T.T. Teng and N.A.R.N. Norulani. 2000. Efficiency of the coagulation-flocculation method for the treatment of dye mixtures containing disperse and reactive dye. Water Qual. Res. J. Canada. 42:54-62.
- Zahrim, A.Y., et al. 2019. Nanoparticles enhanced coagulation of biologically digested leachate. In Nanotechnology in water and wastewater treatment: Theory and applications. Ed A. Ahsan and A.F. Ismail. Elsevier. pp 205-241.
- Mohan, S.M. 2014. Use of naturalized coagulants in removing laundry waste surfactant using various unit processes in lab-scale. J. Env. Manage., 136:103-111.
- Aparecido, N., et al. 2015. Assessment of the banana pseudostem as a low-cost biosorbent for the removal of Reactive Blue 5G dye. Env. Tech., 36(22):2892-2902.
- Kakoi, B., et al. 2016. Banana pith as a natural coagulant for polluted river water. Ecol. Eng., 95:699-705.
- Shamsnejati, S., et al. 2015. Mucilaginous seed of Ocimum basilicum as a natural coagulant for textile wastewater treatment. Ind. Crops Products. 69:40-47.
- Boulaadjoul S., et al. 2018. A novel use of Moringa oleifera seed powder in enhancing the primary treatment of paper mill effluent. Chemosphere. 206:142-149.
- Vijayaraghavan, G., T. Sivakumar and A.V. Kumar. 2011. Application of plant-based coagulants for wastewater treatment. Int. J. Adv. Eng. Res. Stud., 1(1):88-92.
- Deborah, L., et al. 2018. Wastewater treatment using Moringa oleifera Lam seeds: A review. J. Water Process Eng., 23:151-164.
- Pavithra, K. G., et al. 2019. Removal of colourants from wastewater : A review on sources and treatment strategies. J. Ind. Eng. Chem., 75:1-19.
- Guo, K., et al. 2018. Characterization and performance of a novel lignin-based flocculent for the treatment of dye wastewater. Int. Biodeterioration Biodegradation. 133:99-107.
- Reck, I.M., et al. 2018. Removal of tartrazine from aqueous solutions using adsorbents based on activated carbon and Moringa oleifera seeds. J. Cleaner Prod., 171:85-97.
- Sanchez-Matin, J., J. Beltran-Heredia and J.A. Peres. 2012. Improvement of the flocculation process on water treatment by using Moringa oleifera seeds extracts. Brazilian J. Chem. Eng., 29(3):495-501.
- Ramamurthy, C., et al. 2012. Evaluation of eco-friendly coagulant from Trigonella foenum-graecum seed. Adv. Biol. Chem., 2(1):58-63.
- Ishak, A.R., et al. 2017. Removal of organic matter from stabilized landfill leachate using coagulation-flocculation-Fenton coupled with activated charcoal adsorption. Waste Manage. Res., 35(7): 739-746.
- Rasool, M.A., et al. 2016. Use of a plant-based coagulant in coagulation-ozonation combined treatment of leachate from a waste dumping site. Ecol. Eng., 90:431-437.
- Shirani, Z., et al. 2018. Waste Moringa oleifera seed pods as green sorbent for effluent treatment of toxic aquatic pollutants. J. Env. Manage., 227: 95-106.
- Sanghi, R., B. Bhattacharya and V. Singh. 2006. Use of Cassia javahikai seed gum and gum-g-polyacrylamide as coagulant and for the decolourization of textile dye solutions. Bioresour. Tech., 97:1259-1264.
- Zhao, C., et al. 2018. Evaluation of a novel dextran-based flocculant on treatment of dye wastewater : Effect of kaolin particles. Sci. Total Env., 640-641:243-254.
- Ramadan, M.F., et al. 2015. Functional characteristics, nutritional value and industrial applications of madhuca longifolia seeds : An overview. J. Food Sci. Tech., 53(5): 2149-2157.
- Al-Dwairi, R.A. and A.E. Al-Rawajfeh. 2012. Removal of cobalt and nickel from wastewater by using Jordan low-cost zeolite and bentonite. J. University Chem. Tech. Metallurgy. 47(1):69-76.
- Roussy, J., et al. 2005. Influence of chitosan characteristics on the coagulation and the flocculation of bentonite suspensions. Water Res., 39:3247-3258.
- Xie, B.X., et al. 2016. Study on chemical constituents of Strychnos nux-vomica. Zhong Yao Cai., 39(1):86-89.
- Sieban, M., et al. 2009. Removal of water turbidity by natural coagulants obtained from chestnut and acorn. Bioresour. Tech., 100:6639-6643.
- Abdulsahib, H.T., A.H. Taobi and S.S. Hashim. 2015. A novel coagulant based on lignin and tannin for bentonite removal from raw water. Int. J. Adv. Res., 3:426-442.
- Beltran-Heredia, J., J. Sanchez-Martin and M. Barrado-Moreno. 2012. Long-chain anionic surfactants in aqueous solution : Removal by Moringa oleifera coagulant. Chem. Eng. J., 180:128-136.
- De Oliveira, J.M., et al. 2007. Tannin-treated water for use in the emulsion polymerization of SBR: Effect of ageing on mechanical properties. Int. J. Polymer. Mater., 56:939-944.
- Chakraborty, T., et al. 2020. Reusability or recovered iron coagulant from primary municipal sludge and its impact on chemically enhanced primary treatment. Separ. Purification Tech., 231:115894.