IJEP 43(6): 531-537 : Vol. 43 Issue. 6 (June 2023)
1. University of Technology, Energy and Renewable Energies Technology Center, Baghdad, Iraq
2. University of Technology, Environment Research Centre, Baghdad, Iraq
Lower exhaust emissions and better engine performance can be reached by using exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) and alternative fuels. In this study, the effects of various conditions of injection timings (IT) and engine speeds with EGR on engine performance and NOx concentration fueling with alcohol fuels were investigated. According to the results of IT, it is clear that the brake power increased by 14, 9.23 and 5.6% with advanced IT for E10 and diesel fuel and different EGR ratios 10, 20 and 30%, respectively. In addition, the E10 blend produces high brake power in comparison with diesel for different EGR ratios. The BSFC decreased with advanced injection timings, while increased by 15.6%, 18.6% and 26.4% with increasing EGR ratios. The NOx concentration increased with advanced IT, meanwhile decreased with high ratio of EGR (10.2%, 21.3% and 29.7%). In case of engine speeds, the results showed that the brake power increased with engine speed between 1500 to 2250 rpm, especially with E10 blend compared with diesel. The same trend of brake power was found for various EGR ratios. The BSFC increased from the effects of various engine speeds and EGR ratios. The NOx emissions decreased from the combined effects of engine speeds and EGR for E10 and diesel.
Brake power, Ethanol, Diesel engine, Exhaust gas recirculation, NOx emissions, Engine speed
- Dhahad, H.A., et al. 2021. Influence of fuel injection timing strategies on performance, combustion, emissions and particulate matter characteristics fueled with rapeseed methyl ester in modern diesel engine. Fuel. 306: 121589.
- Fayad, M.A. and H.A. Dhahad. 2021. Effects of adding aluminum oxide nanoparticles to butanol-diesel blends on performance, particulate matter and emission characteristics of diesel engine. Fuel. 286:119363.
- Dhahad, H.A. and M.T. Chaichan. 2020. The impact of adding nano-Al2O3and nano-zno to iraqi diesel fuel in terms of compression ignition engines’ performance and emitted pollutants. Thermal Sci. Eng. Progress. 100535.
- Teoh, Y.H., et al. 2022. Comparative assessment of performance, emissions and combustion characteristics of tire pyrolysis oil-diesel and biodiesel-diesel blends an a common-rail direct injection engine. Fuel. 313: 123058.
- Örs, I. 2020. Experimental investigation of the cetane improver and bioethanol addition for the use of waste cooking oil biodiesel as an alternative fuel in diesel engines. J. Brazilian Soc. Mech. Sci. Eng., 42(4): 1-14.
- Azeez, R.A. and F.K. Al-Zuhairi. 2020. Biofuels (bioethanol, biodiesel and biogas) from lignocellulosic biomass: A review. J. University Babylon Eng. Sci., 202-215.
- Liang, J., et al. 2021. The combustion and emission characteristics of diesel-ethanol blends with THF as co-solvents in a diesel engine operating with EGR. Fuel. 298:120843.
- Duraisamy, G., M. Rangasamy and N. Govindan. 2020. A comparative study on methanol/diesel and methanol/PODE dual fuel RCCI combustion in an automotive diesel engine. Renew. Energy.145: 542-556.
- Verma, T.N., et al. 2020. The effect of ethanol-methanol-diesel-microalgae blends on performance, combustion and emissions of a direct injection diesel engine. Sustain. Energy Tech. Assess., 42: 100851.
- Chaichan, M.T., H.A. Kazem and T.A. Abed. 2018. Traffic and outdoor air pollution levels near highways in Baghdad, Iraq. Env. Develop. Sustain., 20 (2) : 589-603.
- Chaichan, M.T. et al. 2022. PM and NOx emissions amelioration from the combustion of diesel/ethanol-methanol blends applying exhaust gas recirculation (EGR). IOP Conference Series: Earth Env. Sci.,961(1): 012044.
- Fayad, M.A. 2019. Effect of fuel injection strategy on combustion performance and NOx/smoke trade-off under a range of operating conditions for a heavy-duty DI diesel engine. SN Appl. Sci., 1 (9): 1088.
- Pan, M., et al. 2020. The effect of butanol isomers on diesel engine performance, emission and combustion characteristics under different load conditions. Fuel. 277:118188.
- Hamza, N.H., N.S. Ekaab and M.T. Chaichan. 2020. Impact of using Iraqi biofuel–kerosene blends on coarse and fine particulate matter emitted from compression ignition engines. Alexandria Eng. J.,59(3): 1717-1724.
- Fayad, M.A., et al. 2021. Influence of environment-friendly fuel additives and fuel injection pressure on soot nanoparticles characteristics and engine performance and NOx emissions in CI diesel engine. J. Adv. Res. Fluid Mechanics Thermal Sci., 88(1): 58-70.
- García, A., et al. 2020. OMEx-diesel blends as high reactivity fuel for ultra-low NOx and soot emissions in the dual-mode dual-fuel combustion strategy. Fuel. 275: 117898.
- Vallapudi, D.R., et al. 2018. Combined impact of EGR and injection pressure in performance improvement and NOx control of a DI diesel engine powered with tamarind seed biodiesel blend. Env. Sci. Poll. Res., 25(36): 36381-36393.
- Ekaab, N.S., N.H. Hamza and M.T. Chaichan. 2019. Performance and emitted pollutants assessment of diesel engine fuelled with biokerosene. Case Studies Thermal Eng.,13: 100381.
- Chaichan, M.T. 2018. Combustion and emission characteristics of E85 and diesel blend in conventional diesel engine operating in PPCI mode. Thermal Sci. Eng. progress.7: 45-53.
- Sen, A.K., et al. 2011. effect of exhaust gas recirculation on the cycle-to-cycle variations in a natural gas spark ignition engine. Appl. Thermal Eng., 31 (14-15): 2247-2253.
- Ibrahim, A.A.H. and S. Bari. 2007. An investigation on using EGR in natural gas SI engine. International Conference on Mechanical engineering 2007. Proceedings, pp 1-6.
- Chaichan, M.T. 2018. Performance and emission characteristics of cie using hydrogen, biodiesel and massive EGR. Int. J. Hydrogen Energy.43(10): 5415-5435.
- Fayad, M.A. 2021. Investigation of the impact of injection timing and pressure on emissions characteristics and smoke/soot emissions in diesel engine fuelling with soybean fuel. J. Eng. Res., 9 (2): 296-307.
- Fathi, M., R.K. Saray and M.D. Checkel. 2011. The influence of exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) on combustion and emissions of n-heptane/natural gas fueled homogeneous charge compression ignition (HCCI) engines. Appl. Energy. 88 (12): 4719-4724.
- Gan, S., H.K. Ng and K.M. Pang. 2011. Homogeneous charge compression ignition (HCCI) combustion: Implementation and effects on pollutants in direct injection diesel engines. Appl. energy. 88 (3): 559-567.
- Zhao, H., et al. 2001. Understanding the effects of recycled burnt gases on the controlled autoignition (CAI) combustion in four-stroke gasoline engines. SAE Transactions. 2100-2113.
- Chaichan, M.T., A.A.H. Kadhum and A.A. Al-Amiery. 2017. Novel technique for enhancement of diesel fuel: Impact of aqueous alumina nano-fluid on engine’s performance and emissions. Case Studies thermal eng.,10:611-620.
- Koder, A., et al. 2018. Combustion and emission characteristics of a 2.2 L common-rail diesel engine fueled with jatropha oil, soybean oil and diesel fuel at various EGR-rates. Fuel. 228:23-29.
- Fayad, M.A. 2020. Investigating the influence of oxygenated fuel on particulate size distribution and NOx control in a common-rail diesel engine at rated EGR levels. Thermal Sci. Eng. Progress. 19: 100621.
- Fayad, M.A., M.T. Chaichan and H.A. Dhahad. 2021. The effect of first generation biofuel on
emission characteristics under variable conditions of engine speeds and loads in diesel engine. J. Physics. IOP Conf. Series.1973 (1): 012041.
- Dhahad, H.A., M.T. Chaichan and T. Megaritis. 2019. Performance, regulated and unregulated exhaust emission of a stationary compression ignition engine fueled by water-ULSD emulsion. Energy. 181:1036-1050.
- Fayad, M.A., et al. 2021. Effect of post-injection and alternative fuels on combustion, emissions and soot nanoparticles characteristics an a common-rail direct injection diesel engine. In Energy sources. Part A: Recovery, utilization and environmental effects. pp 1-15.
- Fayad, M.A., et al. 2021. Influence of post-injection strategies and CeO2nanoparticles additives in the C30D blends and diesel on engine performance, NOx emissions and PM characteristics in diesel engine. Particulate Sci. Tech., 1-14.
- Han, J., H. Bao and L.M.T. Somers. 2021. Experimental investigation of reactivity controlled compression ignition with n-butanol/n-heptane in a heavy-duty diesel engine. Appl. Energy. 282: 116-164.
- Saravanan, S. 2015. Effect of exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) on performance and emissions of a constant speed DI diesel engine fueled with pentanol/diesel blends. Fuel. 160: 217-226.