IJEP 43(7): 661-667 : Vol. 43 Issue. 7 (July 2023)
1. Chennai Institute of Technology, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Chennai, Tamil Nadu – 600 069, India
2. Sathyabama Institute of Science and Technology, Department of Automobile Engineering, Chennai, Tamil Nadu – 600 119, India
3. Chennai Institute of Technology, Center for Applied Research, Chennai, Tamil Nadu – 600 069, India
By reason of the exhaustion of petroleum yield alongwith terminal emanations from the exhaust of diesel engines, it has turned out to be essential in the direction of seeking in favour of the substitute for petroleum invention on behalf of enduring exploit. At present, researchers as well as connoisseurs have come to the wrapping up that biodiesel in combination with highly developed alcohols is capable of a appropriate reserve in these circumstances. Biodiesel, when combined with higher alcohol content, has been shown to improve the efficiency of a compression ignition (CI) engine while also reducing the amount of wounding exhaust gases. Rice bran oil, alongwith propanol, has been prepared in the current diesel scrutiny intermingle in order to ensure its outcome on output and emanation individuality of a diesel engine. Solitary phase alkaline transesterification was used to prepare biodiesel and then mixtures of diesel-rice bran oil and diesel-rice bran oil-propanol were primed as D90-RB10, D80-RB20, D80-RB10-P10 and D60-RB20-P20. The entire combine was then experienced through a single-cylinder, tiny service CI engine with supremacy capitulate of 3.73 kW in order to evaluate them utilising diesel. According to research, a mixture of rice bran oil, as well as propanol, can be utilised as a fuel in a CI engine devoid of requiring any modifications to the engine.
Diesel, Rice bran biodiesel, Propanol, Performance, Emission
- Chauhan, B.S., N. Kumar and H.M. Cho. 2010. Performance and emission studies of an agriculture engine on neat jatropha oil. J. Mech. Sci. Tech., 24 (2): 529–535.
- Goga, G., et al. 2018. Properties and characteristics of various materials used as biofuels: A review. Mater. Today Proceedings. 5(14):28438-28445.
- Mahalingam, A., et al. 2018. Emission and performance analysis on the effect of exhaust gas recirculation in alcohol-biodiesel aspirated research diesel engine. Env. Sci. Poll. Res., 25(13):12641-12647.
- Mahla, S.K., et al. 2018. Influence of EGR on the simultaneous reduction of NOx-smoke emissions trade-off under CNG-biodiesel dual fuel engine. Energy. 152: 303–312.
- Yuan, Z.Z., B.S. Chauhan and H.M. Cho. 2013. Study of a wave absorber in various distance placed in a sinusoidal propagate wave. Appl. Mech. Mater., 302: 326–331.
- Bora, B.J. and U.K. Saha. 2015. Comparative assessment of a biogas run dual fuel diesel engine with rice bran oil methyl ester, pongamia oil methyl ester and palm oil methyl ester as pilot fuels. Renew. Energy. 81: 490–498.
- Ravi, S. and A. Karthikeyan. 2019. Effect of propanol addition on the performance and emission characteristics of direct injection diesel engine fuelled with waste plastic oil. Int. J. Ambient Energy. 43(1): 803-808.
- Chauhan, B.S., et al. 2016. Practice of diesel fuel blends using alternative fuels: A review. Renew. Sustain. Energy Rev., 59: 1358–1368.
- Chhabra, M., A. Sharma and G. Dwivedi. 2017. Performance evaluation of diesel engine using rice bran biodiesel. Egyption J. Pet., 26: 511–518.
- Atmanli, A. 2016. Comparative analyses of diesel-waste oil biodiesel and propanol, n-butanol or 1-pentanol blends in a diesel engine. Fuel. 176:209-215.
- Agarwal, A.K. 2007. Biofuels (alcohols and biodiesel) applications as fuels for internal combustion engines. Progress Energy Combust. Sci., 33(3): 233-271.
- Sivalakshmi, S. and T. Balusamy. 2011. Performance and emission characteristics of a diesel engine fuelled by neem oil blended with alcohols. Int. J. Ambient Energy. 32 (4): 170-178.
- Jindal, M., et al. 2015. Experimental investigation of performance and emissions characteristics of waste cooking oil biodiesel and n-butanol blends in a compression ignition engine. RSC Adv., 5: 3863-3868.
- Verma, P. and M.P. Sharma. 2016. Review of process parameters for biodiesel production from different feedstocks. Renew. Sustain. Energy Rev., 62: 1063-1071.
- ASTM D240. 2019. Standard test method for heat of combustion of liquid hydrocarbon fuels by bomb calourimeter. ASTM International, USA.
- ASTM D445. 2021. Standard test method for kinematic viscosity of transparent and opaque liquids (and calculation of dynamic viscosity). ASTM International, USA.
- ASTM D4052. 2022. Standard test method for density, relative density and API gravity of liquids by digital density meter. ASTM International, USA.
- ASTM D4737. 2021. Standard test method for calculated cetane index by four variable equation. ASTM International, USA.
- ASTM D93. 2020. Standard test methods for flash point by Pensky-Martens closed cup tester. ASTM International, USA.
- Verma, P., et al. 2015. Potential use of eucalyptus biodiesel in compressed ignition engine. Egyptian J. Pet., 25(1):91-95.
- ASTM D6751. 2023. Standard specification for biodiesel fuel blend stock (B100) for middle distillate fuels. ASTM International, USA.
- Satsangi, D.P. and N. Tiwari. 2018. Experimental investigation on combustion, noise, vibrations, performance and emanations characteristics of diesel/n-butanol blends driven genset engine. Fuel. 221: 44–60.
- Dhamodaran, G., et al. 2017. A comparative study of combustion, emission and performance characteristics of rice bran, neem and cottonseed-oil biodiesels with varying degree of unsaturation. Fuel. 18: 296-305.
- Nabi, N., et al. 2017. Reductions in diesel emissions including PM and PN emissions with diesel biodiesel blends. J. Cleaner Prod., 166:860-868.
- Alloune, R., et al. 2017. Performance, combustion and exhaust emissions characteristics investigation using Citrullus colocynthis L. biodiesel in DI diesel engine. J. Energy Inst., 91(3):434-444.
- Serin, H. and S. Yildizhan. 2017. Hydrogen addition to tea seed oil biodiesel: Performance and emission characteristics. Int. J. Hydrogen Energy. 43(38): 18020-18027.
- Jeevahan, J., et al. 2018. Experimental investigation of the suitability of 1-butanol blended with biodiesel as an alternative biofuel in diesel engines. Biocatalysis Agric. Biotech., 15:72-77.
- Jiaqiang, E., et al. 2017. Effect of different technologies on combustion and emissions of the diesel engine fueled with biodiesel: A review. Renew. Sustain. Energy Rev., 80: 620–647.
- Abed, K.A., et al. 2018. Effect of waste cooking-oil biodiesel on performance and exhaust emissions of a diesel engine. Egyptian J. Pet., 27(4):985-989.