IJEP 43(8): 750-756 : Vol. 43 Issue. 8 (August 2023)
1. Government College of Technology, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu – 641 013, India
2. Hindusthan College of Engineering and Technology, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu – 641 050, India
Consolidation parameters are a crucial component in stability analyses of embankments, footings or columns built on clayey soil. The settlement behaviour of the structures and the pore pressure changes need to be looked upon when structures are built over such soil. Prefabricated vertical drains (PVD) are used to accelerate the process of consolidation by permitting pore water pressures to dissipate easily when subjected to overburden pressures. To avoid detrimental impact on the environment due to the use of polymeric materials in vertical drains, biodegradable vertical drains are employed. This paper reports water absorption capacity tests, consolidation tests, discharge capacity tests and numerical analyses carried out for natural prefabricated vertical drains (NPVD). The natural prefabricated vertical drains are made of jute sheath covering core made-up of bamboo material. The water absorption capacity of fibres used is 8% lesser compared to the other fibres (coir and jute). Consolidation results showed that coefficient of consolidation, coefficient of permeability, coefficient of compressibility, coefficient of volume change and compression index increased with use of a single NPVD in soft clay. Results from discharge capacity test showed a decrease in discharge capacity when compressive stress is increased, at the same hydraulic gradient. The numerical analysis result showed dissipation of pore water pressure while increasing time.
Soil consolidation, Prefabricated vertical drains, Natural fibres, Pore water pressure dissipation, Consolidation settlement, Natural prefabricated vertical drains
- Ahmad, T., et al. 2015. Numerical modelling of prefabricated vertical drain for soft clay using ABAQUS. Appl. Mechanics Mater., 773–774: 1502–1507. DOI:10.4028/www.scientific. net/amm.773-774.1502.
- Dassault Systemes. 2011. Abaqus 6.11: Abaqus/CAE user’s manual. Dassault Systemes Simulia Corp., Providence, RI, USA.
- Hansbo, S. 1981. Consolidation of fine-grained soils by prefabricated drains. 10th International Conference on Soil mechanics and foundation engineering, Stockolm. 3: 677-682.
- Balasubramaniam, A.S. and R.P. Brenner. 1981. Consolidation and settlement of soft clay (chapter 7). In Soft clay engineering. Ed Edward William Brand and Rolf Peter Brenner. Scientific Publishing Company. 20: 1-779.
- Asha, B.S. and J.N. Mandal. 2012. Absorption and discharge capacity tests on natural prefabricated vertical drains. Geosynthetics Int., 19(4): 263-271. DOI: 10.1680/gein.12.00013.
- Asha, B.S. and J.N. Mandal. 2015. Theoretical and numerical modelling of laboratory consolidation of marine clay with natural prefabricated vertical drain. E. J. Geotech. Eng., 20(9):3829-3838.
- Asha, B.S., et al. 2012. Emerging trends in ground improvement techniques. GeoCongress 2012: State of the art and practice in geotechnical engineering. DOI:10.1061/9780784412121.062.
- Bergado, D.T., M.C. Alfaro and A.S. Balasubra-maniam. 1993. Improvement of soft Bangkok clay using vertical drains. Geotextiles Geomembranes. 12(7): 615-663.
- Chai, J., et al. 2013. Finite element simulation of an embankment on soft clay- Case study. Computers Geotech., 48:117–126. DOI: 10.1016/j.compgeo.2012.10.006.
- Chu, J., M.W. Bo and V. Choa. 2006. Improvement of ultra-soft soil using prefabricated vertical drains. Geotextiles Geomembranes. 24(6):339–348. DOI: 10.1016/j.geotexmem.2006.04.004.
- Defoirdt, N., et al. 2010. Assessment of the tensile properties of coir, bamboo and jute fibre. Composites Part A Appl. Sci. Manufact., 41(5): 588-595. DOI: 10.1016/j.compositesa.2010.01. 005.
- Gupta, M. K. and R.K. Srivastava. 2015. Effect of sisal fibre loading on wear and friction properties of jute fibre reinforced epoxy composite. American J. Polymer Sci. Eng., 3(2):1-10.
- Hammad, M.S., A.L. Fayed and Y.M. El-Mossal-lamy. 2019. Application of prefabricated vertical drains in soft clay improvement. Int. J. Eng. Appl. Sci., 6(10):68-77. DOI:10.31873/IJEAS.6.10.26.
- Hird, C.C., I.C. Pyrah and D. Russell. 1992. Finite element modelling of vertical drains beneath embankments on soft ground. Géotech., 42(3): 499-511. DOI: 10.1680/geot.19126.96.36.1999.
- Indraratna, B., et al. 2003. Modelling of prefabricated vertical drains in soft clay and evaluation of their effectiveness in practice. Ground Improv., 7(3): 127-137. DOI: 10.1680/grim.2003.7.3.127.
- Indraratna, B. and I.W. Redana. 2011. Numerical modelling of vertical drains with smear and Well resistance installed in soft clay. Canadian Geotech. J., 37(1): 132-145. DOI: 10.1139/t99-115.
- Jeon, H. Y., et al. 2003. Assessments of long-term filtration performance of degradable prefabricated geotextile drains. Polymer Testing. 22(7): 779-784. DOI: 10.1016/s0142-9418(03)00012-6.
- John, J. and U. Thomas. 2016. Improvement of coir reinforced clay soil by natural and synthetic prefabricated vertical drains. Int. J. Eng. Res. Tech., 5(3):728-732.
- IS 2720. 1965. Methods of test for soils. Part 15: Determination of consolidation properties. Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi.
- Lee, S.L. and G.P. Karunaratne. 2007. Treatment of soft ground by fibre drain and high-energy impact in highway embankment construction. Ground Improv., 11(4):181-193. DOI:10.1680/grim.2007. 11.4.181.
- Lee, S.L. et al. 1994. Natural geosynthetic drain for soil improvement. Geotextiles Geomembranes.13(6–7): 457-474.
- Nguyen, T.T., B. Indraratna and C. Rujikiatkamjorn. 2016. Natural prefabricated vertical drains-structure and geohydraulic properties. In Geotechnics for sustainable infrastructure development. Ed P. Long. Construction Publishing House, Vietnam. pp 651-658.
- Nguyen, T.T., B. Indraratna and P. Baral. 2020. Biodegradable prefabricated vertical drains: From laboratory to field studies. Geotech. Eng., 51(2):39-46.
- Purwondho, R. and R. Djohan. 2018. Research on the acceleration of settlement by installing vertical drain and preloading with sand. IOP Conf. Series Earth Env. Sci., 195. DOI: 10.1088/1755-1315 /195/1/012008.
- Rassiah, K., et al. 2013. A review on mechanical properties of bamboo fiber reinforced polymer composite. Australian J. Basic Appl. Sci., 7(8):247-253.
- Suhendra, A., et al. 2018. Effectiveness study of prefabricated vertical drain using vacuum preloading and surcharge preloading. IOP Conf. Series Earth Env. Sci., 195. DOI: 10.1088/1755-1315/195/1/012004.
- Sven, H. and H.B. Fellenius. 1979. Consolidation of clay by band-shaped prefabricated drains discussion on consolidation of clay by band-shaped prefabricated drains. Ground Eng., 12(5): 16-25.
- Nguyen, T.T., et al. 2017. Finite element modelling of biodegradable jute drains. Faculty Eng. Inf. Sci. Papers Part B. 1605.
- Venda, O., et al. 2015. Numeric modelling of vertical drains: Two and three-dimensional analyses. Ground Improv., 168(2):144–156. DOI: 10.1680/grim.13.00033.
- Xu, B. H., et al. 2021. A vertical and radial consolidation analysis incorporating drain degradation based on the spectral method. Computers Geotech. 129. DOI: 10.1016/j.compgeo.2020.103862.